Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: What do you want in a campground?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> What do you want in a campground?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
Vintage465

Prunedale CA.

View Profile

Posted: 10/02/19 08:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Large campsite and not crowded. That's first. Second is low or no price. Third is what kind of view. Don't care about hook ups. Don't want to be near a camper with a generator, so I hope there is a host with some chonies that enforces rules. I don't really care where. I can be at the ocean, the mountains, the desert or lakes. I like easy to level sites, though I can make most anything work. Some trees, but I like sunshine for the Solar

V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali. 2015 CreekSide 20fq w/450 watts solar and 465 amp/hour of batteries. Retiring in 2021, then look-out road, here we come!

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 10/02/19 08:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I like to be in a beautiful place. A level place to park is helpful. Minimal amount of people, otherwise I go boondocking. I rarely go to public campgrounds in summer except for special events like a music festival.

rbpru

North Central Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/02/19 10:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As you can see, campground preference is so individualistic "good" cannot really be defined.

So to "camping". Once we had a hard roof, electricity and gave up putting things away wet, we were RVing. Dry camping or full hookups, I enjoy the creature comforts.

However, I still do pre-1830's reenactments a few times a year. That is about all these old bones will take. [emoticon]

Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 10/02/19 10:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In no particular order. Good power; pull through sites; potable water available; small town campgrounds with low cost, or no fee; a dump site; quiet; not crowded.

Negatives in no particular order. Low voltage power; restrooms that have the accumulated grunge of years of use without proper cleaning; pay by the minute showers; sardine sized sites; trash bins over flowing; weeds up to my shoulders; biting insects; wifi that has impossibly low bandwidth; inconsiderate neighbors.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

ken56

Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/03/19 05:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As you can see by the responses here this is very individual and run the gammut all accross the board from boondocking to glamping. We have a 37ft. Laredo and the wife requires full hook-up. She is not the rough it type and I will not put up with her compalining if she is not happy. Happy wife happy life. As for campsite requirements I want stable power, good water and a sewer connection that is not all busted up and low enough to not run up hill when comnnected. Distance between sites would be a comfortable 50-60 foot wide with some bushes possible to divide and provide a barrier. I appreciate roads wide enough to maneuver into the site and be able to get out without having to ask neighbors to move their truck when I want to leave. My needs are few.....lol

* This post was edited 10/03/19 05:43am by ken56 *

Barbara001

San Francisco

View Profile

Posted: 10/03/19 05:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Recently I've bought an old trailer and now looking for professional and legit services to make a repair in it. Did anyone use the ***Link Removed*** services? Are they good enough?

sgfrye

north carolina

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/03/19 06:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

kfp673 wrote:

Great Topic and so many different opinions. For me its an equal combination of site size, shade, view, and feel. So in general I want full hookups if possible, but I prefer the state park feel with huge wooded sites. Prefer it fairly level but dont even care that much about that if it's beautiful scenery. I just curse the whole time setting up and then get over it when I see the view of the lake. Ha! Ideally the site is so big you could put 4 or 5 more campers between the next site in theory giving room to spread out. I also want the site to be walking distance to the lake, pond, river, or whatever if there is one so I can fish and kayak in the morning without driving anywhere. So basically I want the same tent camping experience I had growing up as a kid, but with the full hookups and comfort fo a camper.

pretty much what DW and i enjoy. we will also stay at private campgrounds looking like parking lots if its the best we can find if we are in a specific area for something like sight seeing.

in general we prefer state parks with large sites at affordable prices with water and electric on site

ZINGERLITE

Union Lake

View Profile

Posted: 10/03/19 06:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I like sites backed up to a tree line. We usually camp with other family members and its nice to face campers towards each other. and close it off with the trucks near the road. keeps the kids corralled and we don't have people behind us.

Also, i don't like to hear busy roads. No free ways, highways or local thru roads near us is best in my opinion.

Other than that the bar is low. Maybe electric that doesn't go out 12 times a day.

Devocamper

West Haven CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/03/19 06:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Whatever campground we stay in be it a state park, COE , private or any of the others we like the rules to be enforced , quiet hours (generators, partying) , pets on a leash or no pets allowed . Seems a lot of people don’t care for rules . As far as the amenities it depends on where we are camping from the resorts too boondocking but clean and safe is always a plus .

08 NU-WA Hitchhiker Discover America 339 RSB Sold
18 Host Mammoth
07 Chevy 3500HD LT1 EXT Cab LB DRW D/A Sold
18 Ram 3500 SLT Crew Cab DRW 4x2 6.4 4.10's

Cocky_Camper

Rock Hill, SC

View Profile

Posted: 10/03/19 07:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Shade, some privacy, clean bathhouses, level sites...

2004 Sea Breeze by National RV - 8341

Former Coaches:
2006 Keystone Zeppeline 291 - TT
2000 Aerolite Cub F21 - Hybrid TT
1991 Coleman Pop Up

Formerly known as: hybrid_camper

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> What do you want in a campground?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.