cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice on handheld electric drill for jacks

TheTichenors
Explorer
Explorer
I am looking to buy a dedicated handheld electric drill for raising and lowering my stabilizer jacks on my 30' Surveyor TT. I am also wanting to use it on the jacks of my ProPride hitch.

Should I get the type that has an 'impact wrench' function or just stick to the basic high-torque drill/driver models? I was thinking the impact wrench function would be handy for getting the jacks started but I don't want to damage anything.

Thoughts?
40 REPLIES 40

jmatteis
Explorer
Explorer
When we first got our camper, I had intended to throw in a 12v dewalt impact, but found an online estate auction and got a small Ridgid 12v drill and flashlight combo that works great, 2nd speed for quick up and down, and 1st to seat it. It's quiet.. although, my dewalt impact is also quiet unless it's working with resistance, otherwise, it sounds no different than a drill.

Allworth
Explorer
Explorer
The cheapest cordless impact driver on the Harbor Freight wall.. Use it for two years and put it in the donations box. Get a new one. Three $33 drivers from HF equal one $99 DeWalt and you get a new battery every other year.

A
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Impact is not necessary. Stabilizer jacks aren't supposed to be used for leveling, so you only need to get them snug. I've been using a plain Jane drill for years, never thought I needed anything more.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
whiteeye42 wrote:
ken56 wrote:
Please, no impact driver. It gives you no advantage and it is just plain anoying to others near by who can hear it. I had a DeWalt drill with the 2 torque settings and it worked just fine. Those jacks are are stabilizers not leveling jacks and should not be used to level the trailer by putting high torque on them to lift the trailer. Use blocks under the tires instead.
I use my impact each and every time and has not damaged a thing and if the other people can't stand it for just a minute then they can leave as far as I am concerned

You obviously don't really hear it. An impact has its uses, but stabilizer jacks is not one of them. And yes they are loud and obnoxious!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

whiteeye42
Explorer
Explorer
ken56 wrote:
Please, no impact driver. It gives you no advantage and it is just plain anoying to others near by who can hear it. I had a DeWalt drill with the 2 torque settings and it worked just fine. Those jacks are are stabilizers not leveling jacks and should not be used to level the trailer by putting high torque on them to lift the trailer. Use blocks under the tires instead.
I use my impact each and every time and has not damaged a thing and if the other people can't stand it for just a minute then they can leave as far as I am concerned
Me,Wife two boys and two dogs
2008 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4x4 DRW 6.7 cummins
2008 Jayco Eagle 341 RLQS 37' with B&W turnover ball & companion hitch
using rotochoks
add state map

whiteeye42
Explorer
Explorer
i use my craftsman impact and it has never done any damage and it is not noisy at all and it other people don't like it to bad it only last a minute anyway
Me,Wife two boys and two dogs
2008 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4x4 DRW 6.7 cummins
2008 Jayco Eagle 341 RLQS 37' with B&W turnover ball & companion hitch
using rotochoks
add state map

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ryobi One+ 18v impact drill here. I stop when it hammers the first time. (I do have a Ryobi One+ 18v blower with me too. I use it to blow off the steps and outside rug.)
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

SuperBus
Nomad
Nomad
Veebyes wrote:
I like yellow. Dewalt drill has served well. Be careful that the torque does not sprain your wrist.

From a safety stand-point, I would say use an impact. You won't get a sudden reaction torque that could hurt you as you may(will) with a regular drill/driver.

If the jacks are of good quality (i.e. acme screw) you'd be hard pressed to damage them, unless the load rating was exceeded by lifting more than you could normally muster using the hand crank.

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
I like yellow. Dewalt drill has served well. Be careful that the torque does not sprain your wrist.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
drsteve wrote:
ken56 wrote:
People use leaf blowers to blow off the roof of their slides before bringing them in. Not unusual and not landscaping. I use a broom. I hate unnecessary noise and I try to keep mine down to a minimum.

This is why I installed a slide topper.
X-2, I realize you need to clean off your slide, but if you have to run your leaf blower for nearly a full 1/2 hour, your camped in the wrong place or you have too many slides.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
same brand as my home unit. Gains me extra batteries for home 🙂

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
ken56 wrote:
People use leaf blowers to blow off the roof of their slides before bringing them in. Not unusual and not landscaping. I use a broom. I hate unnecessary noise and I try to keep mine down to a minimum.

This is why I installed a slide topper.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

ken56
Explorer
Explorer

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
jplante4 wrote:
Get the loudest, most annoying impact driver you can find and run that sucker full blast at seven in the morning when breaking camp. I believe this is the norm.
I used to have my wife using the leaf blower WHILE I was using the impact wrench to lower the stabilizers.

Dang auto leveling system on my new camper ruined all my fun - now I can only make half the noise.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS