Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Advice on handheld electric drill for jacks
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Advice on handheld electric drill for jacks

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
ndrorder

Southwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/02/19 10:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A cordless impact makes no more noise that that of a drill until things tighten up. And once tightened, it really isn't any louder than a loaded diesel pickup with factory exhaust. The impact wrench smells a lot better though.

Cliff

JiminDenver

Denver, Co

View Profile

Posted: 10/02/19 10:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I use a impact wrench but as usual if you can hear me, you parked too close. My Royobi drill doesn't have the torque and the chuck loosens in reverse.

2011 GulfStream Amerilite 25BH
2003 Ford Expedition with 435w tilting portable/ TS-MPPT-45
750w solar , TS-MPPT-60 on the trailer
675 Ah bank, Trip-lite 1250fc inverter
Sportsman 2200w inverter generator

SidecarFlip

SE Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 10/02/19 10:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

schlep1967 wrote:

No impact. Lubricate your jacks regularly and use either a regular drill or the hand crank that came with the trailer.
There are two sounds that grate on me in the campground. The sound of the car alarm going off for several minutes and the sound of somebody two rows over using their impact drill. If I wanted to hear impact drivers I would camp at a garage or race track.

Besides an impact driver will eat the internal jack gears up. Impacts are made for loosening stuck bolts, nit for raising or lowering jacks.

2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

NRALIFR

Truck Camping Out West

View Profile

Posted: 10/02/19 11:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you’ve just gotta have an impact drill to use for your jacks, be sure to get one that uses the same battery pack as your cordless leaf blower. The impact drill guys always seem to have both. [emoticon]

[emoticon][emoticon]

2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450

TheTichenors

portland, or

View Profile

Posted: 10/02/19 11:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great advice everyone! I'll swing by Home Depot later and pick up the Ridgid 18-volt brushless model.

DutchmenSport

Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/02/19 11:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just use the hand crank that came with the camper. The exercise will be good for you!

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/02/19 11:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wow, some of y’all are easily triggered!
Regarding the drill, or impact, if you do not already have one then presuming you need one for not just the jacks, but for other purposes too? Unless you don’t tinker or work on stuff or do home improvement, auto repair etc.
If you do much of the above mentioned activities, a cordless impact driver is generally of greater use and flexibility than a drill. Small easy stuff can be drilled with the impact and the impact IMO is more useful for a wider range of activities.
Fwiw, I probably use the impact 5x as much as the drill, but I wrench on my own vehicles, equipment and toys and do my own home repairs and construction.
Don’t worry about the geezers who are annoyed with 30 seconds of “noise”. Get the tool that is the most useful.
Having both is a good combination for most household, mechanics and light building work

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

bukhrn

Lanexa, Va

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/02/19 01:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"Don’t worry about the geezers who are annoyed with 30 seconds of “noise”. Get the tool that is the most useful.
Having both is a good combination for most household, mechanics and light building work"
I agree with Grit dog, Except, that all the annoyance may Not be from us Geezers a little short term low level noise doesn't bother me, but a leaf blower running for 30 minutes in a fully wooded CG does.

2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund
You can have my RV, when you pry my cold dead fingers from the Steering Wheel

Terryallan

Foothills NC

View Profile

Posted: 10/02/19 03:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I use a 24 volt DeWaLT 450 INCH pounds of torque. I had to have one that strong to raise the popup roof. Now I use it for the TT stabs, among other things.

It is a hammer drill, BUT you turn off the hammer when not needed, and it is not needed for the TT, or the pup. It is stronger than a impact wrench, and make no noise at all.

When you pull the trigger on this drill. Something turns, weather it is you or the trailer. Something turns. Best drill I have ever had. It is now 19 years old, and on it's 3rd battery.
Wouldn't be with out it.

Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

George3037

Central Square, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/02/19 03:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

X2

2manytoyz wrote:

I've used an 18V Dewalt (non-impact) drill for the jacks on our previous travel trailer for years. Worked perfectly.

We recently sold the trailer to our niece. We met them for their maiden voyage, and they didn't bring a drill. I only had my Milwaukee 12V (M12 series) drill with me. It did deploy the jacks, but lacked enough power to lift the corner of the camper to make the jacks really effective.

So... I'd say get an 18V or more non-impact type drill. Keep in mind, these drills have enough torque to damage your wrist if not careful. I use two hands, and keep the palm of the hand not holding the drill, against the bottom of the grip to prevent the drill from moving.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Advice on handheld electric drill for jacks
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.