Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Talk me out of my new project.
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Talk me out of my new project.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev
ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 04/10/20 05:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Vans are the new cool thing to own. They are narrow and have little room, even you spend $80k. They are just not big enough.

You are better off with a diesel truck and smaller trailer if you ask me.

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 04/12/20 01:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ppine wrote:

Vans are the new cool thing to own. They are narrow and have little room, even you spend $80k. They are just not big enough.

It is smaller than TC, but then what TC rig will deliver 22 mpg @ 75 mph?
When we face going 2000 miles to our son, taking 12 mpg truck& TC combo is not making much sense
It is good to have choice

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/12/20 10:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kayteg1 wrote:

We love our 2 campers, but our sons spread around the country and taking 3 days trip with dogs in the car brings some troubles, while driving truck/camper cost lot of fuel for short visits.
On other hand I drive Mercedes cars for decades and am fascinated with Sprinter vans, who with 4-cylinder diesel deliver 25 mpg.
Was researching the "sport vans" conversion, but even several years old can cost 80 grands, so that is out of question.
On other hand I can buy high-mileage van for less than $20k.
So my thinking is that my Lance camper, turning 19 years shows outside age, it still has good interior. It's market value is pretty low.
So buying Sprinter van, I can use Lance interior and slide to make new RV.
I see 2 option.
1.The extended Sprinter would make sport van, where I would have to put cassette toilet and shower is out of question.
Good part I can make it stealth RV with side window only on driver side. I would have to measure if transferring 6' slide is even possible.

[image]

2. get cargo van, who is heavier, but also bigger and with dually I can make full-blown ClassC out of it. Bad part- those come with less efficient V6 engines (not much difference in HP) and forget about stealth camping. Also putting something like it on family driveway might raise a brow.
I see Avon owners going into quite extremes to make desirable RV, so that would be something in the same magnitude.
I have qualifications for the project and even I am still busy on my retirement, the time potential is here.

[image]
Are you insane? Just stop. If you want to build RVs... go get a job at one of the many factories. Maybe you could improve the process and quality for the rest of us when you make supervisor.

Otherwise find something used for less money than the pictures ready to go out and have some fun.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

Photomike

Southern Alberta or where the camper is parked!

View Profile

Posted: 04/12/20 10:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ppine wrote:

My van has lots of room for me.

Plus I can go from driving to the back without going outside.

A trailer is longer, not as maneuverable and not as usable for what I do with my van.

2017 Ford Transit
EVO Electric bike
Advanced Elements Kayaks

JD5150

Anywhere

View Profile

Posted: 04/12/20 12:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Van is easier to get in and out of. No multi stair climbing. Less prone to leaks, less seam maintenance, better mpg, more head room in bed area if desired. Can get 4x4 or AWD. Can plan out the interior like you want plus put in as much insulation as you want. I would keep all water and water lines on the inside so 4 seasons.

I had a 2016 Ford Transit ecoboost medium roof for my business but sold it. If I buy another it will be another Transit but AWD high roof

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Talk me out of my new project.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.