cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Diff, transmission maintenance questions

RJL
Explorer
Explorer
On our below listed 2010 Damon Challenger 368 on the F53 chassis the rear dif is welded in on the back. No way to get the cover off. I did notice on the front of the diff, right at about where the drive shaft slides in is what looks like a drain/fill plug, about half way up the diff on the passenger side. The type you insert a socket wrench with an extension. I'm assuming I need to siphon out the fluid there and fill there as well?

Also, on our transmission there is a small bolt on the bottom of the pan on the driver side. Looks like a 7/16, maybe 1/2". Could this be a drain plug? This small? I wanna drain and replace the filter and gasket so I'm gonna take the pan off anyway. It would be nice to drain the fluid out before I drop the pan though.

Thanks,

Bob
2010 Damon Challenger 368, F-53 Chasis
2010 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon unlimited, Toad
2018 Ram 1500 4x4, Club Cab, 6.4 bed,3.92 gears, 5.7 HEMI
2019 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack Wide Body, 6.4 HEMI
13 REPLIES 13

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
I know it got a 22k lb GVWR and a 26k lb GCWR. Either way I need to make sure I have enough to do the job.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

tderonne
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:
Ozlander wrote:
ferndaleflyer wrote:
5 gallons of rear end grease?????

I think I would question that, but what'da I know.

I haven't verified, this is what I was told on FTE. but I do know it’s a large housing! I’ll know when I pick it up from storage tomorrow!

If you have a S17060S it does indeed hold 32 pints, or 4 gallons. ("like 5 gallons" is close enough)

But Google says you have a 22K chassis. If so, you have an S130 axle which holds 13.6 pints.Or was a 24K chassis an option?
Tim

2004 Winnebago Adventurer 31Y
Ford chassis

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Ozlander wrote:
ferndaleflyer wrote:

I haven't verified, this is what I was told on FTE. but I do know it’s a large housing! I’ll know when I pick it up from storage tomorrow!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

A bad day camping is

Ozlander
Explorer
Explorer
ferndaleflyer wrote:

Ozlander

06 Yukon XL
2001 Trail-Lite 7253

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III

tderonne
Explorer
Explorer
Didn't post, got an error screen, and now it double posted...
Tim

Ford chassis

tderonne
Explorer
Explorer
The larger S135 and S17060S have a drain plug. The 22K 2010 F53 ought to have an S130, which has no plug, as the manual above shows.
Tim

Ford chassis

RJL
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks again all. Looks like I'll have to crawl under a take another look at the diff. I was pretty sure I didn't see a drain plug but looks like I missed it.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
I just asked this question on he Forest River Forum and Ford Truck Forum. It's not an S110, but even bigger. It holds near 5 gallons of gear oil. There is a drain plug on the bottom of the housing, and then fill it though the fill plug on the side or back of the cover. It's not going to be a cheap service as the fluid is around $10 qt!
The trans is easy, drain the fluid through the drain plug and drop the pan and replace the filter. The pan basket is reusable. Should be Mercon LV.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

A bad day camping is

DFord
Explorer
Explorer
I think you'll find all the bolts on the F-53 are metric. The rear axle was filled with synthetic gear oil and it shouldn't need changing. Be sure to check you're owner's manual so you'll be able to correctly select the lubricants you need. As I remember, the 2000 F-53 had a drain plug on the torque converter but that was eliminated in later years. 😞
Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System

tderonne
Explorer
Explorer
I think you have a Dana S110/S130 axle.

From the S110/S130 Service Manual (Page 46):

"Remove the bottom two carrier to housing capscrews and allow the lube to drain into a suitable container."
Tim

Ford chassis

RJL
Explorer
Explorer
John Wayne wrote:
Are you sure you don't also have a drain plug on the bottom of the dif. It will be like the fill plug you found on the side. The plug in the drain pan on the trans. is the drain plug. You may also have a inline trans filter. On my friends F53 it is up near the radiator pass. side in the return line for the trans cooler. Looks like a small can that unscrews.

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm sure there is no drain plug under the diff. Didnt know there was a trans inline filter, I'll look for that tomorrow or Friday.

Thank you

John_Wayne
Explorer II
Explorer II
Are you sure you don't also have a drain plug on the bottom of the dif. It will be like the fill plug you found on the side. The plug in the drain pan on the trans. is the drain plug. You may also have a inline trans filter. On my friends F53 it is up near the radiator pass. side in the return line for the trans cooler. Looks like a small can that unscrews.
John & Carol Life members
01 31'Sea View single slide, F53 V-10 with 134,000 miles and counting.
2012 Jeep Liberty Smi brake system
Security by Bentley
God Bless

KF6HCH