cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Perils of RVing

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
Who here has trailer hitch shins or had a good laugh when the other half orneighbor did?
Who has flat head from hitting underside of Fifty Wheel.
Who has flt forehead from turning around and smacking the slide out squarely in the forehead/face?
How about slide out flat head?
Mirror forehead or face?guiltinedd by trees
Flat face and body from Falling out of entry because someone locked the step in the in position?
Sewer hose bathing?
Flat spotted tires on towed.
Drug the sewer hose, or power cord/pedistal down the highway or water hose.
Awnings out, tv antenna guillotined by trees
Who has said I never will?
I'm sure I forgot a few. ๐Ÿ™‚
38 REPLIES 38

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
ghoos,
I used to travel as an environmental consultant, sometimes to cities. Sometimes I had cheap rental cars like a Ford Focus. I can remember coming out of a large government building to a giant parking lot full of Ford Focus cars and trying to remember what color it was.

ghooos
Explorer
Explorer
I have many times come out of especially a Walmart store, and had to stand and think where did I park and then next is - what city am I in? Which direction do I go when I leave? I always remember after a moment, but they all look alike and you could be in any city. We have probably been to several hundred Walmarts in the 9 years full-time.

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
My first TT was a single axle unit with the door toward the front. After unhooking it I went inside and walked to the back. When I did the front jack came off the ground and the TT started to roll down the hill, Toward The Lake !! In a panic I ran toward the door and when I did the front jack came back down to the ground and dug into the dirt.

After re-hooking it and pulling it back into the camping spot I drove to town and bought some wheel chocks.

trailerbikecamp
Explorer
Explorer
Hooked up fifth wheel and was backing off the leveling blocks. Heard a HUGE bang, and truck jumped. Didn't realize the fifth wheel hitch wasn't set to automatically lock. I check it every time now!!!
Dan

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
My latest was trying to remove a parking lot ballard at Walmart using the curb side of my trailer. This was followed by several hard, self inflicted kicks to the seating area.

lakeside013104
Explorer
Explorer
In Alaska dry camping. Wife stepped off the rear platform of the TC and landed on the gravel/rocks below. She screamed loud enough that the hikers on Denali could have heard her. ER was two hours away. When finally made contact with ambulance service, story was, $2000 to run her to ER. No ambulance ride for us. Distant relative agreed to take us to ER for $100, full tank of gas, and lunch in a restaurant.

Released from ER after several hours with only 5 broken ribs. Good enough for it could have been worse.

Moral of story: don't try to back down the steps with your hands full of stuff, without looking where your feet are being placed.

Lesson learned, the hard way.........

Lakeside

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I pulled off one while plugged in to electrical. Thankfully the cord did something easily fixed (it broke at a splice).. not sure it will do that aga... Check that Splice no longer in cord (routine repair eliminated it).

Have forgotten things a couple times like awning or antenna.
No damage though.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
TV antenna left up, lady points up to the roof while I'm driving, no harm done. Left the steps out while driving person honks and points at stairs, no harm done. Got ready to dump tanks had hose in sewer pulled handle and hose pops out of sewer, I made a mad dash to get it back in the hole before contents of black tank reach the end of sewer hose, no harm done. I know it's just a question of when not if it happens.

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
While on the road in Sept I witnessed a few of the basic screw ups, not by us, by others.
1. Tried to wave off a guy pulling out of camp, he waved back just before ripping his antenna off.
2. Yelled as neighbor pulled out with waste and fresh water hoses still attached to drain & spigot. He kept going.
3. Watched guy 100 yards away successfully remove/ruin all 4 stabilizer jacks by forgetting to retract them.
4. Almost forgot to unhook my safety chains after unhitching, luckily the wife can SCREAM really loud. I will never hear the end of that, I guarantee that.
We all make mistakes. My wife and I do a safety check before moving after packing up. Together we check tires, stabilizers, awning arm, doors, windows, sewer valves & cap, bumper caps that secure our sewer hose, coupler, chains, brake cable, etc. Eventually we will forget something again.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
my shins are good and dented. poor wife came up unter an open window and split her head pretty good.

best one for us so far was when a little one projectile vomited apple sauce and muffin stew through my screen door and all down the door trim I think
Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....

bigred1cav
Explorer
Explorer
scalping self on slide out

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
Our camping friends came close to the dreaded sewer (grey water) shower last weekend. We set up on Friday evening. Saturday when we sat down at the picknik table for lunch I looked over at the back side of his trailer and thought, "That sewer drain pull handle doesn't look right". Mentioned it to him and he walked over and pushed it in closing the gate valve.
Luckily it was for the tank that catches shower water. He stood back when he took the cap off to drain the tank on Sunday.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
First time we took Amy-the-dog camping, put her on her leash to go do a little doggy business, opened the door, started down the steps, and she spotted a squirrel. I was on just one foot when the leash snapped tight, and on my face on the ground when the dog stopped running (because I was too heavy to drag farther).

ZINGERLITE
Explorer
Explorer
The awning arm is at the right height. i hit my head on it alot.

Another time i got camp all set up and the wife asked: Did you fill the water tank on the way in?" D'OH!