Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Perils of RVing
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Perils of RVing

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev
BarabooBob

Baraboo, WI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/05/19 07:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

While on the road in Sept I witnessed a few of the basic screw ups, not by us, by others.
1. Tried to wave off a guy pulling out of camp, he waved back just before ripping his antenna off.
2. Yelled as neighbor pulled out with waste and fresh water hoses still attached to drain & spigot. He kept going.
3. Watched guy 100 yards away successfully remove/ruin all 4 stabilizer jacks by forgetting to retract them.
4. Almost forgot to unhook my safety chains after unhitching, luckily the wife can SCREAM really loud. I will never hear the end of that, I guarantee that.
We all make mistakes. My wife and I do a safety check before moving after packing up. Together we check tires, stabilizers, awning arm, doors, windows, sewer valves & cap, bumper caps that secure our sewer hose, coupler, chains, brake cable, etc. Eventually we will forget something again.

Bob & Dawn Married 31 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/05/19 03:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TV antenna left up, lady points up to the roof while I'm driving, no harm done. Left the steps out while driving person honks and points at stairs, no harm done. Got ready to dump tanks had hose in sewer pulled handle and hose pops out of sewer, I made a mad dash to get it back in the hole before contents of black tank reach the end of sewer hose, no harm done. I know it's just a question of when not if it happens.

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 10/05/19 03:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I pulled off one while plugged in to electrical. Thankfully the cord did something easily fixed (it broke at a splice).. not sure it will do that aga... Check that Splice no longer in cord (routine repair eliminated it).

Have forgotten things a couple times like awning or antenna.
No damage though.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

lakeside013104

North America

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/06/19 04:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In Alaska dry camping. Wife stepped off the rear platform of the TC and landed on the gravel/rocks below. She screamed loud enough that the hikers on Denali could have heard her. ER was two hours away. When finally made contact with ambulance service, story was, $2000 to run her to ER. No ambulance ride for us. Distant relative agreed to take us to ER for $100, full tank of gas, and lunch in a restaurant.

Released from ER after several hours with only 5 broken ribs. Good enough for it could have been worse.

Moral of story: don't try to back down the steps with your hands full of stuff, without looking where your feet are being placed.

Lesson learned, the hard way.........

Lakeside

campigloo

Baton Rouge, La

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/06/19 07:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My latest was trying to remove a parking lot ballard at Walmart using the curb side of my trailer. This was followed by several hard, self inflicted kicks to the seating area.

trailerbikecamper

eastern Canada

View Profile

Posted: 10/07/19 07:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hooked up fifth wheel and was backing off the leveling blocks. Heard a HUGE bang, and truck jumped. Didn't realize the fifth wheel hitch wasn't set to automatically lock. I check it every time now!!!

Dan

CavemanCharlie

Storden,MN

View Profile

Posted: 10/08/19 07:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My first TT was a single axle unit with the door toward the front. After unhooking it I went inside and walked to the back. When I did the front jack came off the ground and the TT started to roll down the hill, Toward The Lake !! In a panic I ran toward the door and when I did the front jack came back down to the ground and dug into the dirt.

After re-hooking it and pulling it back into the camping spot I drove to town and bought some wheel chocks.

ghooos

yeaop

View Profile

Posted: 10/09/19 05:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have many times come out of especially a Walmart store, and had to stand and think where did I park and then next is - what city am I in? Which direction do I go when I leave? I always remember after a moment, but they all look alike and you could be in any city. We have probably been to several hundred Walmarts in the 9 years full-time.

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 10/09/19 10:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ghoos,
I used to travel as an environmental consultant, sometimes to cities. Sometimes I had cheap rental cars like a Ford Focus. I can remember coming out of a large government building to a giant parking lot full of Ford Focus cars and trying to remember what color it was.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Perils of RVing
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS