cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tankless Water Heater Compatibility?

sean4fsu
Explorer
Explorer
Tankless electric water heaters are so expensive, and I was wondering if anyone knew if this model would work in our 2007 Terry Travel Trailer Camper? I would like to use it for our shower.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Rheem-Electric-Tankless-Water-Heater-6kW-RETEX-06-Self-Modulating-SEALED/143340591004?epid=20021167549&hash=item215fc3d79c:g:jcsAAOSwxuRdGyAQ

https://www.rheem.com/product/performance-tankless-electric-3-6kw-electric-water-heater-with-5-year-limited-warranty-retex-06/

And if it does fit, how would we convert it to be used in our camper?
14 REPLIES 14

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
JRscooby wrote:
Can you build a lean-to? Put it right outside where the factory WH is, and install the heater you plan to put in your house...

I was thinking something similar.

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Can you build a lean-to? Put it right outside where the factory WH is, and install the heater you plan to put in your house...

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Keep in mind venting requirements for propane units. They can be dangerous if not installed properly.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Anthony_C
Explorer II
Explorer II
Try looking online at RV tankless water heaters I have been wanting one of the Gerard ones they have good ratings and are less than $500.
https://www.amazon.com/Girard-2GWHAM-Demand-Tankless-Heater/dp/B019BWN8E2
2020 Ford F-450 FX4,6.7 power Stroke diesel. Max Tow package. towing a 2021 Grand Design Solitude.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Tankless is not a better/foolproof idea for an RV. I don't follow your logic, there is also no guarantee the tankless unit will last any longer than what you have:h
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

sean4fsu
Explorer
Explorer
I appreciate all of the helpful ideas and suggestions!

Kim and I are going to be living in our Terry Travel Trailer Camper for another 5 years, and we don't want to spend money to fix our current non-working water heater which needs a circuit board, and only to have it eventually have the water heater in our camper break down and then have to buy another one for over $800 so we thought a tankless water heater would be a better idea for our finances.

Does anyone have any suggestions that we can check out that would save us from having to eventually buy an over $800 water heater? Because also, we have been living in the camper for 5 years already at an RV park here in town.

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ask yourself a more fundamental question, why do you need unlimited hot water?

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
GrandpaKip wrote:
I would consider a propane model if/when our water heater bites the dust, but not an electric one.

X2.
And the propane models keep getting better. I've used a propane model in a house that worked fantastic - couldn't tell it from elect.
Not sure if RV units are that good yet but we would sure like to go that direction some day.

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
Here is the data from AP tankless that makes a lot of these units. (Steibel US/Canada models)
Tankless

The AQC 3.1 is the only 120 Volt model, it will warm a half gallon per minute flow by 40 degrees F. And will be drawing 25 Amps doing it.

NOT an RV frendly unit.
There are some gas operated ones made for RV use.

cavie
Explorer
Explorer
GrandpaKip wrote:
I would consider a propane model if/when our water heater bites the dust, but not an electric one.

Sure is nice to flip a switch when the gas runs out in the middle of the night.
2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. Retired Building Inspector.

All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Before you spend any money search this Forum for `tankless' and read the previous posts.
IMHO a tankless water heater would be a good idea for a park model that never moves BUT never for rv's that move around.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

cavie
Explorer
Explorer
Nope won't work as stated above. Also if you don't have shore power and don't have a 220 volt generator you won't have hot water.
2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. Retired Building Inspector.

All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Assuming you have a 30amp/120v camper...no it won't work.
- Unit is 220v.
- Unit is 6,000w (6kw)...30amp/120v maxes out at 3600w.

If you have a 50amp rig, it may be possible if you rig up a 220v circuit but you may need to manage what is being operated as the water heater will eat up around 60% of available capacity by itself.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV