cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Roof caulking?

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
Found this when I crawled up on my roof to do a little inspection. It looks to be a complete failure of the caulk material in only one year. Could they have used the wrong product/material?

Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk
15 REPLIES 15

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
I just get the stuff at Camping World and have been pleased with it. The whole one-year thing is dealer excuses and total BS. I've gotten 5+ years on sealant routinely. The stuff in OP's pictures looks to be the wrong product. Scrape it out and put on the right thing and you should be good for a while.

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have used a number of caulks over the last 15 years on the MH. The Geocell seems to resits mold and have a better adhesive properties better than the others I have tried. It is also more expensive.

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
Update: As expected, no warranty help and the dealer wants $900 to fix it. What caulk do you guys like for the vertical and gutter edge sealing?

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
Gjac wrote:
Any caulk should not look like that after 18 months. It looks to me like the roof was not cleaned before applying the caulk therefore it did not adhere to the substrate. I would remove the old caulk, looks like it will come off easily with just your fingers, clean it well and reapply new caulk.

Feeling like it shouldn't look like that either and therefore not be my problem. We will see how much of a fight the dealer and or manufacturer is going to put up about it.

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
Any caulk should not look like that after 18 months. It looks to me like the roof was not cleaned before applying the caulk therefore it did not adhere to the substrate. I would remove the old caulk, looks like it will come off easily with just your fingers, clean it well and reapply new caulk.

joelc
Explorer III
Explorer III
Don't say what you used, but silicone is a no-no with RV's. I use Dicor on the roof and Lexel on the sides. I also hear something called ?? = 303 is good too. Be sure to clean the area well of calk and use alcohol to clean.

theboondork_com
Explorer
Explorer
I was up on the roof of my 2013 Arctic Fox 27 โ€“ 5L fifth wheel last week and I didn't see any caulking that Was in the condition yours is, and I haven't touched up the caulking since I bought the Arctic Fox new.

I'm a full timer so my fifth wheel has never been indoors because I live in it, so I get up on the roof and check things out fairly often and I haven't seen a need to repair any of the caulking.

Just guessing here, is it possible when the trailer was new before you bought it, there had been some kind of accident and the insurance had it repaired improperly? Just a thought.

theboondork.com

librty02
Explorer
Explorer
Super_Dave wrote:
I bought and received my unit new in March of last year and the trailer Winters in a covered barn. The bottom picture is at the roof edge along the gutter.

Typically manufacturers use Geocel Proflex RV where the gutter meets the roof. It's very good stuff when applied correctly but like anything else doesn't last forever
2011 FORD F-150 FX4 CREW CAB ECO...
2018 Ford F-150 Max Tow Crew 6.5 3.5 Eco...
2013 Keystone Passport 2650BH, EQUAL-I-ZER 1K/10K

humblerb
Explorer
Explorer
Regardless what you were told, that doesn't look right for 1.5 years.
No way it should look like that after 18 months.
Doesn't look like it was done properly or with the proper materials.

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
I bought and received my unit new in March of last year and the trailer Winters in a covered barn. The bottom picture is at the roof edge along the gutter.

garyp4951
Explorer III
Explorer III
Top pick does not look like Dicor self leveling, and the non sag caulk is horrible. The bottom pick looks like putty tape that dried, and cracked.

ItsyRV
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah, the whitish caulking looks a lot like regular commercially available household silicone, not roofing silicone. Was this a factory job?
1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

MARKW8
Explorer
Explorer
To me, that looks terrible for one year. I know what the dealers and manufacturers say and I agree you shoud do inspections. That said, I could see that in 5 years not 1.

Mark

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
The look and feel of the caulk more resembled silicone.