cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dutch Air 120V Fridge Cooling unit (Vent Modification)

JCat
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hi guys, here is my latest project.

After 14 years the cooling unit on my Dometic finally went out.

I wanted to install a residential fridge, but because of limited space, the cost to modify the fridge opening to get a bigger one in, pulling the windshield, and other things I decided not to go this route.

Instead I ran into a guy who had installed a Dutch air 120v cooling system on the existing RV fridge and he loved it.

So I contacted them, ordered the one for my fridge and last night we installed it.

Install went well even though the videos on their site were not for my model of Dometic, we were able to figure it out.

We were done in 4 hours, mainly due to my friend who was a 20 year RV tech. (not due to my skills)

So all is good, it powered up, compressor came on.

Went to put the outside cover on and it wont close. The vents that stick into the fridge space hit the new compressor.

So I need a plan B. Here are the options I have come up with:

1. Cut the plastic vents that extend into the compressor space.
2. Get a piece of aluminum, cut it to fit the space, drill vent holes, and have it painted to match the rv paint job. (more costly)
3. You guys give me a suggestions

Let's hear it.

Thanks
JCat & PCat
2004 Mandalay 40D
CAT C7 350 HP
8 REPLIES 8

JCat
Explorer II
Explorer II
NRA you are correct, every RV brand and model has different depths behind the fridge. My friend with a Tiffin had the same install but has 3 extra inches behind the compressor, so no modification was needed.
JCat & PCat
2004 Mandalay 40D
CAT C7 350 HP

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
Great! Well that's very good to know. Persoanlly, If I *knew* it was going to be a problem I would have come up with a fix before paying $600+ for something like this - but that's just me.

Personally, I had no idea it would extend further and I am or was, very interested in JC's DC cooling unit. Strange that I don't see that tidbit of information listed on their site nor did it come up in conversations with them.

I would suggest that it is inded their problem since many are going to google information about thier units and end up finding this thread. Or buy one and not be able to get the fridge back in the hole.
Maybe they need to come up with a new exterior cover.

Donโ€™t you think thatโ€™s going to be highly dependent on each fridge installation? How much room is left in behind the fridge is going to depend on how deep the fridge cabinet is. Some have a lot of room behind them, some donโ€™t. The vent design is also going to play a part. My current plastic lower fridge vent would probably cause clearance problems too, but Iโ€™ve had some that were nothing more than sheet metal with slots cut in them.

Sounds like an easy fix to me. I probably wouldnโ€™t have even called them and fixed it myself. But thatโ€™s just me.

:):)
2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 โ€˜Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam typesโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆ..Letโ€™s Go Brandon!!!

JCat
Explorer II
Explorer II
Vent cover modification was easy, snip a few plastic pieces, heat it up and put it back on.

With fridge on high temp was 33 degrees, freezer was 3 degrees
JCat & PCat
2004 Mandalay 40D
CAT C7 350 HP

JCat
Explorer II
Explorer II
I contacted JC Fridge and they provided me with the process for modifying vent cover. I will implement this weekend.
JCat & PCat
2004 Mandalay 40D
CAT C7 350 HP

JCat
Explorer II
Explorer II
The space issue for the compressor is specific to the fridge (in my case a Dometic 1292) and how it was installed in the RV (in my case a Mandalay 40D.
Other fridge makes and models don't have the issue, as well as other RV's. My friend just installed the 12v version in his Tiffin on a Norcold and there is no space issue. But JC's can and did tell me how much space is required behind the fridge for the compressor.
JCat & PCat
2004 Mandalay 40D
CAT C7 350 HP

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Great! Well that's very good to know. Persoanlly, If I *knew* it was going to be a problem I would have come up with a fix before paying $600+ for something like this - but that's just me.

Personally, I had no idea it would extend further and I am or was, very interested in JC's DC cooling unit. Strange that I don't see that tidbit of information listed on their site nor did it come up in conversations with them.

I would suggest that it is inded their problem since many are going to google information about thier units and end up finding this thread. Or buy one and not be able to get the fridge back in the hole.
Maybe they need to come up with a new exterior cover.

JCat
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not their Problem. I knew the compressor would extend further than the existing cooling unit. But I wanted to see it after install to determine best solution based on the amount of space required.
JCat & PCat
2004 Mandalay 40D
CAT C7 350 HP

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I would contact Dutch Aire and ask what gives.