cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weight Distribution Hitch - not quite right

BryanCory
Explorer
Explorer
I'm sure this has been covered, but hoping someone can help? We recently picked up a new 31' TT, and I setup the WDH myself - the TT is level, but the back of my Tundra drops about 6 inches, and it seems the spring-bars are not taking enough of the weight.

The spring-bars are just about level with the TT tongue, so I don't have any room to raise another chain link.

Any thoughts on where I need to make the adjustments? Do I drop/raise the entire assembly?

THANKS!
-Bryan
6 REPLIES 6

BryanCory
Explorer
Explorer
Good stuff, thanks all - I'll be messing with it when I get to camp this evening (or more likely in the morning).

-Bryan

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, extend the screw so the head is tilted away from the truck.

Also remember you aren't trying to take out all of the squat. You are just trying to keep the front end from rising as much. Ideally the front end should only rise about half of what it would without the WD hooked up. Your truck has soft springs, so some squat should be expected. And you may gave to adjust your headlights to compensate.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Provided you are not over on Tundra's payload have you considered air bags?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

BryanCory
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks much HD - Mine is a screw in/out... So to increase the tension, you are recommending screw OUT, away from the truck, is that right?

-B

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
BryanCory wrote:
I'm sure this has been covered, but hoping someone can help? We recently picked up a new 31' TT, and I setup the WDH myself - the TT is level, but the back of my Tundra drops about 6 inches, and it seems the spring-bars are not taking enough of the weight.

The spring-bars are just about level with the TT tongue, so I don't have any room to raise another chain link.

Any thoughts on where I need to make the adjustments? Do I drop/raise the entire assembly?

THANKS!
-Bryan
The hitch head needs to be tilted back. On most hitches this is done with washers.
BTW, this is the primary way to set the tension. Taking up too many links can cause other issues. You need to have at least 5 links under tension.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW