cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Help. Antenna/Cable switch

captpar
Explorer
Explorer
I have no power to my OTA/Cable switch. Can somebody tell me where that switch terminated or starts from , is there a box behind the TV that these 3 wires start/terminate from ? Checked for a blown fuse first but only fuse marked antenna was good but I changed it out anyway . Multimeter showed no power to switch. Of course wires disappeared into the walls. Will pull front TV this weekend to see if these wires appear somewhere behind TV. Any advice at this point will be greatly appreciated. BTY the TVs are stuck in the antenna position vice cable. It doesnโ€™t effect my satellite.
18 REPLIES 18

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Holiday Rambler (I believe) used a Winegard small silver box installed remotely to provide the ant/cable switch. It was powered by a toggle switch as described. There should be a 5 amp fuse in the 12V fuse box (separate from any 12V fuse box associated with the chassis) and it should be marked ANT.
Still not sure why you still have not simply tapped another 12V power source to see if that fixes the issue.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

captpar
Explorer
Explorer
Bingo Doug you nailed it. Yes there is a light on the switch (not working) so my switch is just a on/ off switch that makes a internal cable/ant box do its thing right? So when I pull the TV Iโ€™ll be looking for some type of box or blown fuse?

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
I have never seen or heard of a switch system like he has posted. What I "Think" he has, is a standard Winegard Cable/OTA switch plate assbly NOT mounted where is it accessable. The OEM installed that switch to activate the normal ON/OFF switch on the Winegard switch plate. By leaving the Winegard ON all the time, all you have to do is kill power to the Winegard to make it the default Cable input. Can the OP respond, does that wall switch have a built in light? Doug

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
If the TV is in such a place the driver can see it, there is a relay with control fed from ignition switch to de-energize power to the TV.
OP: please post make and model of switch assembly

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not sure if you just skipped over my post, but if there is no 12V and you want 12V, just tap a nearby 12V power source and run it to that switch. Otherwise, you need to trace the existing 12V wire that used to provide 12V as far as possible and see if you can find a bad connection or a hint as to where the fuse might be. Have you tested all of your 12V fuses with a multi-meter?
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.

DFord
Explorer
Explorer
I think we're all just guessing. Unless you can post a picture or a brand and model number for the "rocker switch" I don't think you're going to get much help. With 3 wires, one might go to the TV, one to the park's cable and the other to the OTA antenna. Not knowing your particular setup, there's no way of knowing. If the switch is as I described, then not having any power at the switch would be normal. The power supply for your crank-up OTA antenna is somewhere else. Try tracing the wires or bypassing the switch with the two wires feeding it by connecting them directly to the TV.

For better help, a picture or some way of identifying what you've got will get you better help.
Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System

captpar
Explorer
Explorer
Iโ€™m original owner, on the plate that the switch is mounted on one side says antenna and the other side says cable. When in the rv park and I want to watch their cable I push the rocket switch down on the side that says cable ,when I want to watch over the air tv I push the rocker switch down on the side that says antenna and I get over the air tv. Worked great for the last 12 years . Then last month switch didnโ€™t work any more. Multimeter showed no power to switch . I have satellite tv so no big deal, but I like things to work whether I use them or not .

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
2007 was on the cusp of digital versus Analog switchover. Below are the 2 used in 99% of RV's back then. THEY swap between Cable and OTA. The wall plate type adapter is usually no even close to the TV's and can be anywhere in the RV, but usually up front in the Dash overhead area of your older motorhome. IF your RV has Current Digital LCD TV's then over the years someone may have removed the Antenna switch/booster system. Doug

https://www.summitsource.com/Winegard-VS-5312D-RV-5-IN-3-OUT-Video-Distribution-Selector-Switch-Chan...

https://winegard.com/products/accessories/wall-plates-power-supplies

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
3 wires point to a switch NOT related to the Cable/OTA system. 3 wires usually mean a POS in and a POS out, with the 3rd wire a ground to turn the light LED ON. You really need to take a few pics and post the area and switches you are looking at. Doug

captpar
Explorer
Explorer
Reply to above posts. I want my switch to be be able to switch from OTA to cable.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
What is the model number of your switch assembly?
What is make and model of your antenna?

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Above as in my post? There is not any kind of rocker switch associated with your OTA antenna. We just need more information about what you have, what you want and what you are trying to accomplish.

captpar
Explorer
Explorer
In reply to the above I did check for power, no power to switch . Also switch is a rocker type switch not like the picture in the above post. I did get the part number and ordered and received a new switch which I installed . But no go no power to switch. The switch is not like a standard A/B switch . It has 3 spade connectors on the back .My couch is a sports coach elite (2007).

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you can't find the original power source just tap any working 12V wires in the area and run the wire to your power supply.