cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Leveling Jack Pads

craig7h
Nomad
Nomad
This past weekend I was at a Good Sam Rally, we were parked (as others were) on grassy sites. Well it rained and it rained and then rained some more. While setting up I had the forethought to put my yellow plastic levelers under the jacks. Even at set up the jack pads sunk into the ground, I had to use three on most of the jacks.

When pulling the jacks up and after pulling out onto the road I went to retrieve my jack pads. Well half of them were broken in some many or another some were to far below ground level to even think about getting out. When I got home I went searching for different styles of jack pads.

Holly cow I received my new pads yesterday. I order 4 15x15x1 1/2 pads from Big Foot. What a pad what, a product yes a lot bigger than the yellow things, each pad weighs in a 12lb. If this pad breaks they replace for free for life. Now I have not used the pads yet (as I just got them) but from what I see they are well worth the money if you are looking for Jack pads.
Itasca Meridian SE 36g
Road Master Tow Dolly
17 REPLIES 17

bp_mp_tx
Explorer
Explorer
Hey craig7h...we were also at that Rally. What a mess on Sunday morning! We saw that train wreck coming and moved close to the road with MH wheels on boards on Friday. Otherwise, we'd still be there! Lol. Our first MO Rally and a great time.
Bill & Mary
2017 Thor Challenger 36TL
2017 Jeep Cherokee

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Edd505 wrote:
beemerphile1 wrote:
CavemanCharlie wrote:
For heaves sake, I don't need to put my "Stabilizer Jacks" down so hard as to lift the rig off of the ground. A short 2X6 or a extra plastic leveler block is all I need. I'm not planning on keeping it stable during a earthquake. And, of the girlfriend and I are rocking it around a bit I don't care who cares.

But, to each their own.

Some of us have levelers, not stabilizers. Mine can easily lift the tires off the ground.

Not recommended. I do use a stack of legos to shorten the legs, the shorter the less wobble.

Please tell my why it's not recommended? Fact is there are places where the ground slopes side to side and one side of the tires are off the ground. Many times the tires are touching but barely touching, is that an issue?

RV hooked to truck in pic and then leveled with the back 4 jacks, sat overnight that way looked the same in the am. Is that an issue?

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
beemerphile1 wrote:
CavemanCharlie wrote:
For heaves sake, I don't need to put my "Stabilizer Jacks" down so hard as to lift the rig off of the ground. A short 2X6 or a extra plastic leveler block is all I need. I'm not planning on keeping it stable during a earthquake. And, of the girlfriend and I are rocking it around a bit I don't care who cares.

But, to each their own.

Some of us have levelers, not stabilizers. Mine can easily lift the tires off the ground.

Not recommended. I do use a stack of legos to shorten the legs, the shorter the less wobble.
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
CavemanCharlie wrote:

But, to each their own.

Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II

But, to each their own.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
teejaywhy wrote:
DutchmenSport wrote:
um... one more post ... don't forget to level your picnic table. If using an outside cooking device on the picnic table, there's nothing worse than eggs and pancakes sliding off, or stuff sliding off your dinner plate.

Rather than hassle with all these scraps of wood, my company makes a set of picnic table levelers. Lightweight, EZ to use and durable, they are a bargain at $150 a set. NEVER HAVE EGGS SLIDE OFF YOUR PLATE AGAIN!!

Ordering details to follow...

You may want to re think that! Site will delete any for sale posts.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

teejaywhy
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:
um... one more post ... don't forget to level your picnic table. If using an outside cooking device on the picnic table, there's nothing worse than eggs and pancakes sliding off, or stuff sliding off your dinner plate.

Rather than hassle with all these scraps of wood, my company makes a set of picnic table levelers. Lightweight, EZ to use and durable, they are a bargain at $150 a set. NEVER HAVE EGGS SLIDE OFF YOUR PLATE AGAIN!!

Ordering details to follow...
The Yost Outpost
Gilbert, AZ
2007 GMC Sierra Classic 2500HD, Duramax LBZ
2019 Nash 23D

craig7h
Nomad
Nomad
Thank you all, however I guess I should have mentioned that the pads were for a Diesel pusher. I also must have failed to mention I was concerned about parking of grass which is a far piece from a solid surface to park on. Why not plywood, I believed that given the sinking jack foot print, the weight of the MH plywood would only break, yes I could glue two 3/4 together. My choice was to go to a company that has been around for many years (1991) plus something made in the good old USA. https://www.outriggerpads.com/
Itasca Meridian SE 36g
Road Master Tow Dolly

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
2 words.
Plywood
Lumber

A PT Barnum quote comes to mind that more folks should consider before getting on Amazon with a credit card!

Chopped up a bunch of 1-1/8" plywood "pads" out of a half sheet of old form ply I had laying around that was useless for any other household purposes when we got the camper. Down to only about 4 of 'em now and a random assortment of 2x4 to 2x8 chunks for leveling the truck and for jack pads. Best part is if a couple don't make it home, there's more where they came form unless I've burned the scrap lumber recently!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

ajriding
Explorer
Explorer
Dutchman, I think you mis-read the post. He said his things sunk in the wet muddy grass. Using 3 3/4 inch boards (4x4s) is not going to improve on the yellow things, the boards will sink even faster.

I think any device you put down on concrete, as the pics shows, are going to be highly resistant to sinking into grass, dry or wet.

OP, how are your 12 lb new bases better than some ply-wood?

RoyF
Explorer
Explorer
My 12-inch long 4x4s have a big enough footprint and have lasted for 10+ years.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
I made these three years ago. Less distance for rams to travel means more stability.

Easily supports my 23k DRV. One sheet of 3/4" Fir underlayment grade plywood to make all six.

I added RV Snap pads to the jacks of my fifth wheel.. they are large and never have to be removed.

They have a larger footprint than the regular pad surface.

I also carry some PT wood for those sites that are "out of level" so i do not over extend my rams..
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

joelc
Explorer III
Explorer III
I use 6 x 6 lumber cut about 4 " larger than my big foot and been using for years.