Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Ram overtakes GM
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Ram overtakes GM

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
kellem

Shenandoah valley,VA

View Profile

Posted: 10/06/19 05:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm in the market for a new 2500 and keep going back and forth......maybe that means all 3 are making formidable trucks. Lol

Still researching gassers.
The 6.4 ? The 6.6 ? The 7.3 ? Still debating.

FishOnOne

The Great State of Texas

View Profile

Posted: 10/06/19 05:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Ron3rd wrote:

I must be in the minority because the looks of the truck are way down at the bottom of the list for me. I'm fine with the looks of all of them. I shop with my wallet.

I suspect a lot of Ram's success has to do with price. My 2016 CTD was 10 grand less than a comparable GM or Ford, both of which are fine trucks. I was therefore able to drive a CTD for not much more than a GM or Ford gasser. Maybe the fact they're made in Mexico has something to do with the price advantage.

Could be but the majority of the parts are US Made.

Let's not forget where the Ford diesel is made.

Built Ford Proud

[image]

FCA Made in Mexico

[image]

I will gladly pay more for a truck that is "Made in the USA".

'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs
"Built Ford Proud"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

ksss

Eastern Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 10/06/19 05:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dont kid yourself, any price advantage there is by building in Mexico isnt going to reduce the price. That price difference goes into their pocket, the consumer is not benefiting from that. The price is set on what the market will bring.

2006 GMC 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

FishOnOne

The Great State of Texas

View Profile

Posted: 10/06/19 07:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ksss wrote:

Dont kid yourself, any price advantage there is by building in Mexico isnt going to reduce the price. That price difference goes into their pocket, the consumer is not benefiting from that. The price is set on what the market will bring.

To add injury to insult Ram is now owned by a foreign company (FCA)and they call all the shots. Including keeping Ram HD truck manufacturing in Mexico.

ShinerBock

SATX

View Profile

Posted: 10/06/19 07:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FishOnOne wrote:

ksss wrote:

To add injury to insult Ram is now owned by a foreign company (FCA)and they call all the shots. Including keeping Ram HD truck manufacturing in Mexico.

Ram is owned by US based FCA US LLC which is a subsidiary of the Italian-American owned Fiat Chrysler Automobile group. Fiat Chrysler Automobile was a merger of American company, Chrysler, and Italian company, Fiat. Hence the reason why it is called FCA and not FA. Because of this, FCA US LLC has more autonomy from Fiat Chrysler Automobiles than most people think.

Ram Trucks

In regards to price. If you look at average retail prices between the brands. Ram has historically been the lowest on average aside from the few years the high price SRT10 made their average sky rocket. Not sure if this from passed on saving from building in Mexico(which I am not against) or not, but the numbers seem to point to that.

ShinerBock

SATX

View Profile

Posted: 10/06/19 08:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FishOnOne wrote:

To be honest. I think you would buy a Ford Powerstroke regardless if it were assembled in the US or not, and you just use the "assembled in USA" because you feel it gives you a one up on the Ram guys. I for one don't care, but I know a few that get their feathers ruffled because of it.

FishOnOne

The Great State of Texas

View Profile

Posted: 10/06/19 08:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ShinerBock wrote:

FishOnOne wrote:

To be honest. I think you would buy a Ford Powerstroke regardless if it were assembled in the US or not, and you just use the "assembled in USA" because you feel it gives you a one up on the Ram guys. I for one don't care, but I know a few that get their feathers ruffled because of it.

Obviously you don't know me and touched on a hot topic... I almost purchased a Dodge Ram in 1998 for my personal truck and discovered it was Made in Mexico so I pulled the plug on that purchase. Before that I only owned GM products.

FishOnOne

The Great State of Texas

View Profile

Posted: 10/06/19 08:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ShinerBock wrote:

FishOnOne wrote:

ksss wrote:

Ram is owned by US based FCA US LLC which is a subsidiary of the Italian-American owned Fiat Chrysler Automobile group. Fiat Chrysler Automobile was a merger of American company, Chrysler, and Italian company, Fiat. Hence the reason why it is called FCA and not FA. Because of this, FCA US LLC has more autonomy from Fiat Chrysler Automobiles than most people think.

Ram Trucks

In regards to price. If you look at average retail prices between the brands. Ram has historically been the lowest on average aside from the few years the high price SRT10 made their average sky rocket. Not sure if this from passed on saving from building in Mexico(which I am not against) or not, but the numbers seem to point to that.

Don't kid yourself... Fiat calls the shots just like Daimler did.

ShinerBock

SATX

View Profile

Posted: 10/06/19 09:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FishOnOne wrote:

ShinerBock wrote:

FishOnOne wrote:

Obviously you don't know me and touched on a hot topic... I almost purchased a Dodge Ram in 1998 for my personal truck and discovered it was Made in Mexico so I pulled the plug on that purchase. Before that I only owned GM products.

Nah, I think you would still buy a PSD even if the rest of it were assembled in Mexico like the engine.

ShinerBock

SATX

View Profile

Posted: 10/06/19 09:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FishOnOne wrote:

ShinerBock wrote:

FishOnOne wrote:

ksss wrote:

Ram Trucks

Don't kid yourself... Fiat calls the shots just like Daimler did.

FCA US LLC calls the shots in regards to the US brands since it is mostly the Chrysler side of FCA. FCA Group calls the shots in regards to earnings. There was an article about it not too long ago when they interviewed an exec. He specifically said that FCA group lets FCA US call the shots on their own products and brands unless that product or brand starts to lose profitability. I will post it when I find it again.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Ram overtakes GM
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.