Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Lowering TV tire pressures
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

 > Lowering TV tire pressures

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 12  
Prev  |  Next
Me Again

Sunbird(Wa)/snowbird(Az)

Senior Member

Joined: 09/26/2012

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 10/04/19 06:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

On my 2015 SRW 3500 I run 60 in the front all the time. Unloaded I run 40-42 in the rears. LT275/70R18E's are rated at 2270 at 40 PSI. So 4540 for the rear axle that weights around 3200-3300 empty. Ride greatly improves at lower inflation. At 60K and 4 years tread wear is even across the tires. Chris

* This post was edited 10/04/19 08:03pm by Me Again *


2015 RAM 3500 CC SB SRW Our Rig New 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Commuter trailer 2019 Laredo 225MK. Retired and enjoying it!


Cummins12V98

on the road

Senior Member

Joined: 06/03/2012

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 10/04/19 06:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Me Again wrote:

On my 2015 SRW 3500 I run 60 in the front all the time. Unloaded I run 40-42 in the rears. LT275/70R18E's are rated at 2270 at 40 PSI. So 4540 for the rear axle that weights around 3200-3300 empty. Ride greatly improves at lower inflation. At 60K and 4 years tread wear is even around the tire. Chris


BUT, BUT the sidewall says 80 psi MAX. [emoticon]


2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Me Again

Sunbird(Wa)/snowbird(Az)

Senior Member

Joined: 09/26/2012

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 10/04/19 08:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Me Again wrote:

On my 2015 SRW 3500 I run 60 in the front all the time. Unloaded I run 40-42 in the rears. LT275/70R18E's are rated at 2270 at 40 PSI. So 4540 for the rear axle that weights around 3200-3300 empty. Ride greatly improves at lower inflation. At 60K and 4 years tread wear is even around the tire. Chris


BUT, BUT the sidewall says 80 psi MAX. [emoticon]


Yep, Max load 3640 at 80 psi inflation. Some have a hard time understanding what that means. Tire state Max load, not max inflation.

97chevor

US

Full Member

Joined: 07/31/2016

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 10/04/19 08:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I run 80 psi all tires all the time. The reason being it's easier and more time to spot a tire going flat.

I have driven many miles. Lower starting pressures builds more heat. It actually inflates the tire the longer driving. Too much heat causes blowouts.

AlmostAnOldGuy

Oregon

Senior Member

Joined: 03/27/2011

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 10/04/19 08:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How about the inflation table

Not interested in running over inflated. Ride is more harsh and less performance.


2012 F150 HD/Max Payload (8200 GVWR, 2176 payload) SuperCrew EcoBoost
2008 Komfort Trailblazer T254S


Greene728

Newnan

Senior Member

Joined: 06/30/2011

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 10/04/19 09:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

97chevor wrote:

I run 80 psi all tires all the time. The reason being it's easier and more time to spot a tire going flat.

I have driven many miles. Lower starting pressures builds more heat. It actually inflates the tire the longer driving. Too much heat causes blowouts.


This only applies if the tire is overloaded and under pressured. If the lower pressure is adequate for the amount of weight on the tire then there's no problem.

I too have a 3500 SRW Ram/Cummins and run 55-60 front year around and 75 loaded/towing and 50 non loaded on the rear. At 50 on the rear according to my TPMS even in the hottest of days here in Georgia the highest heated pressure I've ever seen is maybe 55-56 and no excessive heat on the tire


2011 Crossroads Cruiser 29BHX (Traded)
2017 Grand Design 303RLS
2015 Ram 3500 CC 4x4 6.7 Cummins
Me and the wife and our two daughters. Life's good!

Cummins12V98

on the road

Senior Member

Joined: 06/03/2012

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 10/04/19 09:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Blindly running at full inflation can give rough ride, longer stopping distance and poor tire wear. Weight/inflation tables are there for a reason!!!

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

Senior Member

Joined: 09/14/2003

View Profile



Posted: 10/05/19 06:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My '03 Dodge/Cummins came with LT265/70-17 E. The door post says 50 psi front and 80 psi rear and came from the dealer as such. The trip home the front tires had the roll over feeling. A RR showed the outer edges were badly scuffed so I did a chalk line test. I increased psi to 65 which gave the 115k miles of service empty or loaded with GN's and 5th wheel rv trailers.

Ran the chalk line on the rears and it showed 45 psi allowed a full tread contact patch. Like the front tire they ran for 115k miles till they finally wore down to just before the tread wear indicators.

After owning eight different one ton DRW trucks for my hauling business.....six 1/2 ton trucks.....four 3/4 ton trucks I could care less what the door post psi says.
I'm tight so I use the best pressure that gets the best tire milage/ride comfort for my tires.
Living out here (rural roads and interstates) will give my vehicle longer tire mileage over city driving.


"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

wilber1

Abbotsford B.C.

Senior Member

Joined: 12/16/2002

View Profile



Posted: 10/05/19 08:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

AlmostAnOldGuy wrote:

How about the inflation table

Not interested in running over inflated. Ride is more harsh and less performance.

Load inflation tables just give the maximum loads for different pressures, they are not recommended pressures.

Vehicle recommended pressures are a compromise between load capability, handling, stopping and ride.


"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Me Again

Sunbird(Wa)/snowbird(Az)

Senior Member

Joined: 09/26/2012

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 10/05/19 08:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wilber1 wrote:

AlmostAnOldGuy wrote:

How about the inflation table

Not interested in running over inflated. Ride is more harsh and less performance.

Load inflation tables just give the maximum loads for different pressures, they are not recommended pressures.

Vehicle recommended pressures are a compromise between load capability, handling, stopping and ride.


The door jam sticker is for the MAX GAWR of each axle individually. Our 2001 RAM paper work actually had an included document to show inflation for lighter loads.

If you believes in leaving an axle weighing 3200-3400 when empty at 80 PSI, why are you not inflating your fronts to 80 PSI? Oh, wait manufacturer said you only need 60 PSI for that lighter axle load!! Which reminds me, I need to lower my rears to 42 PSI as I will not be towing again for 7 months.

[image]

* This post was edited 10/05/19 08:51am by Me Again *

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 12  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

 > Lowering TV tire pressures
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.