Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Lowering TV tire pressures
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Lowering TV tire pressures

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 12  
Prev  |  Next
Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 10/05/19 08:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sorry if I ran 80 in my four rear tires towing my 5,800# pin it would be a **** rough ride. 65 is for max RAWR that I do run. It says so on my door jamb.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

BenK

SF BayArea

View Profile

Posted: 10/05/19 11:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

a little more details and not for everyone...make your own decisions, and there is not one size fits all...

I test all my vehicles whenever the season changes, terrain changes, etc. ABS is tested about once a month and more often if the weather changes.

The Nissan Frontier is fairly new to me and am not totally comfortable getting it sideways in inclement weather...yet. The Bilstien shocks are the first mod, as the ones that came with it were too mushy. It still understeers, whereas my Sub is dialed in to neutral and easily induce either under or over steering via throttle or brake

The mini van is stock..except for the P225/65R16’s & KYB shocks...it is just a mini van that is my daily. Even with a 65 aspect ratio..the OEM rims allows too much sidewalk bend back....therefore more sidewall roll over during hard cornering..why the tires are aired to 44PSI, the max sidewall to manage that sidewall rollover and decreases the slip angle

I due slow way down wherever road conditions become slick

Plus....there are many more aspects of my vehicle setups to write here, but the above might help some understand my conservative advice on these forums...especially to anyone asking....as if they knew the HOW2’s...they would need to ask...and thanks Mich...you nailed what I meant by performance on a tow vehicle forum...

-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

demiles

Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 10/06/19 05:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This argument is nonsense. FMVSS requires the vehicle to be tested at GVWR and a lightly loaded vehicle weight with the tires pressures set at the same. Your vehicle is not dangerous with minimal load and tires inflated to recommended pressure on the FMVSS sticker. The Ford Explorer fiasco changed some things.

2008 Jayco G2 28RBS
2016 Nissan XD 5.0L Cummins

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 10/06/19 06:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

op wrote:

For those of you with diesel HD trucks that lower their tire pressures when not towing, what do you set them to?

I’ve currently set 55 front and 60 rear which is a much smoother ride but I’m wondering about the effects. Tire wear? Controllability?

Will lowering the fronts cause steering issues? Since all the weight is up front with the diesel should I lower them at all? In theory, with all the weight up front and little in the rear I should be able to lower the rears to less than the fronts. Any problem with that?

OP has a 2500 Ram with the Cummins and seeks help with unloaded pressures for that truck.
It would help is he and others that are interested in helping him need to add his/their tires size/load range.

Depending on what size the OP tires are 55 psi may or may not work the best. I would think 55 psi with a heavy diesel sitting on them (especially 17" tires) will be under pressured causing premature wear issues/hotter operating temps.....but sure would ride good.

60 psi in the rear tire on a 2500 truck ? Regarles of size IMO 45 psi would be a good place to start. Always moniter tire wear patterns. It a good indicator of your tires pressure needs.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

joelc

Cedar Point, NC

View Profile

Posted: 10/06/19 06:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

joelc wrote:

On my tires it states 80 lbs pressure. That is what I leave them at towing or not. However, if you want a softer ride I would follow the guidelines on your left vehicle door jam, but not any less.

Must be a real pleasure riding with you.

At least you know you are safe. The manufacture puts a specific recommended pressure stamped on the tires for a reason. The vehicle manufacture puts another pressure on the door jam so you get a softer ride, but not generally safer. I would vote for the tire manufacturer specs, not the truck manufacturer suggested pressure. Check it out.

FishOnOne

The Great State of Texas

View Profile

Posted: 10/06/19 06:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

On my 05 Super Duty I experimented with running a lower tire pressure than the truck manufacturer recommended which is 65psi front and rear. Running a set of BF Goodrich tires the first set running 65psi I got ~60k miles and the second set running ~50psi I got ~45k miles. Also running lower tire pressure you can expect to get lower fuel economy as well.

'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs
"Built Ford Proud"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 10/06/19 07:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

joelc wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

joelc wrote:

On my tires it states 80 lbs pressure. That is what I leave them at towing or not. However, if you want a softer ride I would follow the guidelines on your left vehicle door jam, but not any less.

Must be a real pleasure riding with you.

At least you know you are safe. The manufacture puts a specific recommended pressure stamped on the tires for a reason. The vehicle manufacture puts another pressure on the door jam so you get a softer ride, but not generally safer. I would vote for the tire manufacturer specs, not the truck manufacturer suggested pressure. Check it out.

"At least you know you are safe" That's funny! Properly inflated tires have the best stopping and handling.

See this is the problem when people don't understand what that "MAX INFLATION" means!!!

That is NOT a "recommended pressure". Why do each and every tire out there have weight/inflation charts?

Here is one.

What does it say on the tire in the second pic???

[image]
[image]

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 10/06/19 07:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FishOnOne wrote:

On my 05 Super Duty I experimented with running a lower tire pressure than the truck manufacturer recommended which is 65psi front and rear. Running a set of BF Goodrich tires the first set running 65psi I got ~60k miles and the second set running ~50psi I got ~45k miles. Also running lower tire pressure you can expect to get lower fuel economy as well.

Weigh your truck use chart and add 10psi to front and 5 psi to rear. I would get 100-120K on my 98 with 3rd gen take offs.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/06/19 09:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^Good one 12V! The tire manufacturer even wrote it in big letters for the folks who are too dense to read the fine print!

This is largely a phenomena on this forum compared to the others I'm on, where folks would rather die on their own sword to defend a position that is it only practically, but officially refuted in writing by the tire manufacturers themselves.

Want to run 80psi on the back of your empty truck? Have at er. It'll drive like a rock, get worse traction in low traction situations, but it's ok. It's your truck and your spleen.
He!!, I do it too. If I unload the camper somewhere, I don't lower the tire pressure for just a couple days, although wish I could if we are back in the woods and the roads are bad. Makes them much worse with rock hard tires, but it's a tradeoff. Can't plug my air hose into a pine tree so I leave em full.
There are 2 sides to the coin and the folks that refuse to even flip the coin over and read the other side are, well, funny.
Something about an OLD dog and a new trick I suppose...

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

noteven

Turtle Island

View Profile

Posted: 10/06/19 10:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I run MAX psi in my tires.

I try to run MAX speed as well. Put Q rated 99mph MAX tires on my 18000lbs MAX toyhauler. Ol Dodge has a time getting to MAX but with MAX throttle and MAX manifold psi it tries. Does better on MAX 80mph roads. Gets hard on fuel but MAX is best.

Do everthin to MAX I say.

Signed,
Max

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 12  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Lowering TV tire pressures
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.