Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Lowering TV tire pressures
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Lowering TV tire pressures

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 12  
Prev  |  Next
MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/10/19 08:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When my truck was new, it did not handle as well with lowered pressure on the rear, when empty, and yes my placard states 80 psi rear. After the tires seemed to break-in some, it handled more the same, when unloaded, and aired down. As to the ride quality, just 10 lbs less (70 psi) makes a huge difference when empty. I do run the full 80 when towing my FW, and it does handle best at full pressure.

Jerry

97chevor

US

View Profile

Posted: 10/10/19 09:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What do the tire manufacturers say is the leading cause of blowouts?

Me Again

Sunbird(Wa)/snowbird(Az)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/10/19 09:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

97chevor wrote:

What do the tire manufacturers say is the leading cause of blowouts?

The term blowouts is miss used a lot, not sure I have seen a tire manufacturer use that term.

Blowouts, could be from manufacturing defect, road hazards or overloaded tires!

Heat related failure could be from overload tire or under inflated.

Again from my owners manual

• Over-inflation reduces a tire’s ability to cushion
shock. Objects on the road and chuckholes can
cause damage that result in tire failure.

We have to live with the tire manufacturers CYA for the people that do not take the time to properly inflate their tires for the load they are carrying.

* This post was edited 10/10/19 09:49am by Me Again *

2015 RAM 3500 CC SB SRW Our Rig New 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Commuter trailer 2019 Laredo 225MK. Retired and enjoying it!

97chevor

US

View Profile

Posted: 10/10/19 11:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What I have read on every tire manufacturers site is the number one cause of blow outs is UNDER inflation.

wilber1

Abbotsford B.C.

View Profile

Posted: 10/10/19 12:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

wilber1 wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

They recommend using those charts unless you want to blindly run what the manufacturer says that is a CYA for them.

Do you seriously think vehicle manufactures don’t know about those charts and don’t use them as one of the criteria when selecting a tire and determining what pressures are optimum for that particular vehicle?

Look at the door of a newer RAM SRW they call for 80psi rear. No one in their right mind would run 80 unloaded. The dash goes crazy if you lower the air on a 2500. 3500's you can lower without the nanny screaming at you. Of course they know about the charts! They base their psi's on them. Some times!

On my DRW they are right on with 80/65psi for full axle ratings. 80 is correct loaded or unloaded. I use the charts to adjust the rears. I checked yesterday my front and rears both have 8/32" tread remaining. No rotation other than moving fronts side to side with same rotation.

Mine calls for 75 loaded, 45 unloaded. I run 80 and 50.

"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

blt2ski

Kirkland, Wa

View Profile

Posted: 10/10/19 02:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Oh boy......
Cummins does not IMHO get 100k miles from tire because he JUST follows inflation tables. Does it help. Sure it does!
What gets him those miles, is he appears to do mostly highway miles. THAT is the major key.
If he did City miles like I do, getting 60k miles is a treat! As each time I stop and start, turn a corner, my tires are skidding, spinning etc. Yeah my butt can not tell, the skidding etc is microscopic, but it is happening.
Does it help to follow the charts? You bet it does! It's not over 50% of what miles you will get. Probably less than 30-40%.

Marty

92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
00 Chev C2500, V5700, 4L80E, 4.10, base truck, no options!
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

Check RV.Net Blogs at: blog.rv.net

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 10/10/19 03:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

blt2ski wrote:

Oh boy......
Cummins does not IMHO get 100k miles from tire because he JUST follows inflation tables. Does it help. Sure it does!
What gets him those miles, is he appears to do mostly highway miles. THAT is the major key.
If he did City miles like I do, getting 60k miles is a treat! As each time I stop and start, turn a corner, my tires are skidding, spinning etc. Yeah my butt can not tell, the skidding etc is microscopic, but it is happening.
Does it help to follow the charts? You bet it does! It's not over 50% of what miles you will get. Probably less than 30-40%.

Marty

This is true but it DOES help a BUNCH to have proper inflation.

Most people over inflate their rears and under inflate the fronts.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/10/19 06:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

blt2ski wrote:

Oh boy......

Marty

And add to it, the cool and often wet climate up here IS easier on tires. Have lived here on the wet side of the PNW, desert southwest, mountains, upper midwest and Alaska.
Tires last longer here than any of those places with the worst being the mountains, followed by the desert.
Wet roads = less traction which (even sub consciously) = lower average rates of acceleration from a dead stop.
Same wet roads that = less traction also = less tire wear from tread scrubbing or gripping during accelerating, turning or stopping. Cool weather = less degradation from heat.
By comparison, the mountains were the worst. 5 years on the front range and western slope of CO driving mountain curves at highway speeds daily just chewed through tires. Rotations required 2-3x more often than up here just to keep the edges and tread feathering from getting out of hand.
Desert living, the extreme heat seemed to chew through tires as well. Moreso front tires feathering from turning than rear tires, where the mountain driving just annihilates the edges of all 4 tires. Living in the mountains is the only place I've ever actually dismounted and flipped tires to get more life out of them because the outside treads would go bye bye by the time the middle was only half wore out.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

noteven

Turtle Island

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/19 07:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

All’s I know is it is tiring loading rocks in my truck to bring it up to the other “MAX” sticker (for weight) every time I don’t have anything real to haul on my MAX psi tires...

Signed MAX

* This post was edited 10/11/19 07:52am by noteven *

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/19 11:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^Wish there was a like button.
To the MAX!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 12  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Lowering TV tire pressures
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.