cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Does an absorption refrigerator need winterizing

howardwheeler
Explorer
Explorer
Since an ammonia based fridge has water in the system, does it need some form of winterization? Our camper will spend its first winter in really cold temps. Northern Idaho can get down to minus 35. Itโ€™s always wintered in Texas before, so the question has never arisen. If it needs some protection the only thing I could think of is to leave it plugged in on a setting that will cause it to run periodically since you canโ€™t get into the system. I am assuming nothing is required, or Iโ€™d be hearing of more problems with these types of fridges. So the ammonia must act as an antifreeze. Am I correct? I donโ€™t want a bad fridge come spring.
9 REPLIES 9

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
No damage from storage, but running them in the cold may kill the cooling unit.

ScottG wrote:
Like ANY fridge, they don't work well outside of manufacurer expected ambient temps.
But they nver hurt themselves.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi wildtoad,

Have a look here:

https://forums.goodsamclub.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/24160748.cfm winter camping sticky

wildtoad wrote:
pianotuna wrote:
If you are going to run it in cold weather, yes there are some things to do.

Please expound on this.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Unbelievable. Amonia freezes at -107F .
The OP's fridge is NOT going to freeze - especially in Texas!!!
It is also not going to freeze or otherwise damage itself if you RUN it in cold weather. Like ANY fridge, they don't work well outside of manufacurer expected ambient temps.
But they nver hurt themselves.

YOU DO NOT HAVE TO DO ANYTHING TO STORE IT.

RKW
Explorer
Explorer
The water in an RV absorption refrigerator is always in a solution with ammonia. When the refrigerator is in use the solution is weak. When it's not in use the solution is strong. The strong ammonia solution acts as an anti-freeze.
Ryan

• 2015 Ford F250

• 2015 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8280 WS

• Dual Honda EU2000i Generators

The wages of sin are death; but after they're done taking out taxes, it's just a tired feeling.

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
pianotuna wrote:

Please expound on this.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II

If you are storing it--it will be just fine.
Regards, Don

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yes! Mine likes Arizona

howardwheeler
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks. I thought that might be the case then started wondering about the water in the system.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
There is nothing to winterize on an absorbtion fridge unless it has an ice maker.
Just turn it off and prop the doors open.