cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Aquariums

JEM675
Explorer
Explorer
So I am looking to buy a travel trailer and live in it mostly year round, but I have one main concern; my turtle. I have a pet turtle who is not able to be re-homed and needs at least a 75 gallon tank (around 600 lbs when full). Would a slide out be able to hold that weight? If modified? I will not move the trailer often and when I do it the tank would be drained. I also would build a stand for the tank and will try to counter balance the weight if it is possible.
If the slide out cannot support that weight would any other part of the trailer?
20 REPLIES 20

wing_zealot
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
Seems like a lot of weight but when you fill a dinette with standard Americans it's going to weigh that much.
What happens when you fill every seat with a Standard American plus add a 600 pound tank?

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not sure why you can't rehome your turtle, but a good pet shop would most likely take it. I had a 75 gallon tank with a huge Clown Knife fish - local pet store lent me a big net and a cooler - they were very happy to have him for their huge display tank. I was moving across country. Seems like a lot to deal with while full timing.

Good luck though.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
We all love our pets and will go to great lengths to preserve them.

I think the slide will handle it myself but my only issue is completely draining a cycled tank my cause stress to turtle.

I hope your experienced with water chemistry and temps.

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
wanderingaimlessly wrote:
M'lady had a pet shop for about 8 years. we sold quite a few turtles, and with most aquatic ones the biggest issue was space for them to turn around.

The rule of thumb is 10 gallons of water for every inch of carapace. So if the turtle's carapace is less than 4", a 40 gallon tank will work fine. When a turtle is startled, its first instinct is to dive and they like to dive deep. They also like hiding places or vegetation to hide in or behind.

Short term in a pet store, the 10 gallon rule can probably be ignored, but for long term health of a turtle, it needs a lot more room.

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Realistically......it not going to work out!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
Re home the turtle I know there are reptile rescues, here's one https://coloradogators.com/ .
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
Bye bye Mr. Turtle.
Jayco-noslide

winniman
Explorer
Explorer
You will find most slides contain either the couch, or the dinette table. The occasional one will have a bunk slide out. Unless you dont want to have a couch or table, putting it in the slide is probably not going to work anyway. Maybe the bunkhouse model would work if you removed the lower bunk.

JEM675
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you guys for all the comments. Like Michael said my turtle does need a big tank. I am looking at a bunkhouse for other reasons, but might change my plans a bit to try to fit the turtle in there if I feel that the slide out will not hold the weight.

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
mgirardo wrote:
A 75 is awful tall so the length and width are not that great. Take a look at some other tank sizes, A 30 long or a 40 breeder would drop the weight without losing too much manuevering room.
A 40 breeder is 36" long by 18" wide by 16" deep.
A 30 long is 36" long by 12 5/8" wide by 16 3/4" deep.
Petco carries the 40 breeder tanks, 40

A turtle that requires a minimum 75 gallon aquarium would be very stressed in a 30 or 40 gallon aquarium.

I think the slide will be fine with 600 lbs of weight on it. Our family of 4 exceeds 600 lbs with all of use seated at the table. That doesn't include the weight of the table or the sofa which is on the same slide. We camp seasonally for 4 to 5 months and haven't had an issue with the weight effecting the slide's operation.

-Michael

M'lady had a pet shop for about 8 years. we sold quite a few turtles, and with most aquatic ones the biggest issue was space for them to turn around. The 18" front to rear gave them manuevering room. The 40 breeder is 18 front to rear, the same as a 75 gallon tank.
True there wont be quite as much length, 3' vs 4', but there is enough space to create a basking spot. And in tight confines like a tt should be a great compromise for most.
Because there is less volume of water, filtration is important but you will find the 40 breeder to be considered an acceptable tank choice for most.
This is for Red Eared Sliders, or for painted turtles, some of the others could grow larger and need additional space.

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
A 75 is awful tall so the length and width are not that great. Take a look at some other tank sizes, A 30 long or a 40 breeder would drop the weight without losing too much manuevering room.
A 40 breeder is 36" long by 18" wide by 16" deep.
A 30 long is 36" long by 12 5/8" wide by 16 3/4" deep.
Petco carries the 40 breeder tanks, 40

A turtle that requires a minimum 75 gallon aquarium would be very stressed in a 30 or 40 gallon aquarium.

I think the slide will be fine with 600 lbs of weight on it. Our family of 4 exceeds 600 lbs with all of use seated at the table. That doesn't include the weight of the table or the sofa which is on the same slide. We camp seasonally for 4 to 5 months and haven't had an issue with the weight effecting the slide's operation.

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
Boon Docker wrote:
The OP said: "I will not move the trailer often and when I do it the tank would be drained."

I guess the last few posters didn't catch that. :B :B

LOL. Tis a common occurrence.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

Jackathan
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, Boon Docker. Reading Comprehension. I would purchase a trailer with a rear bunkhouse, no slides for the bunkhouse. We had a Forest River Grey Wolf 28bhg with with 2 bunks in the rear. No slides for the bunkhouse. One slide in the living area. Remove the bunks, build turtle habitat suitable for the turtle you have. Yes, we have an ornate box turtle as a pet. Drain most water before moving, I see no problems.

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II
The OP said: "I will not move the trailer often and when I do it the tank would be drained."

I guess the last few posters didn't catch that. :B :B