Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trailer Suspension Questions

kfp673
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hello All,

We have an Outback 325BH for a bit over a year now. I have read threads over the years on this forum about trailer suspension upgrades and I'm trying to understand more to help me decide if I should consider upgrading suspension on a fairly new trailer. I was in the parts department of the dealer recently and asked about it and it did not sound like something they do often, but on forums it seems like a popular move.

So what are the real world advantages of trailer suspension upgrade? What are the recommended brands? And for those of you that have done it on your travel trailer, is it truly worth it?

The reason I am considering it is I feel like I either pick up or have to tighten screws, realign things, etc after every long haul. I wonder if improving the ride of the camper will make the interior hold together longer?? Also, how does it impact towing? I dont have any complaints in how it tows, but you dont know what you dont know. And do most replace axels at the same time or just leave factory unless there is a problem?

Finally, is suspension a job I can o myself? I have the tools including air tools and floor jacks. I'm fairly handy but at the same time not a mechanic.

Thanks all!
16 REPLIES 16

lenr
Explorer II
Explorer II
I put the Lippert cushioned equalizer on our second trailer, and couldn't tell the difference. Later we switched to the MORryde SRE4000. Wow what a difference. So, even though the third trailer came with the Dexter cushioned equalizer, we took the new trailer straight from the dealer to the axle shop for SRE4000 and MORryde X-Factor braces on all 3 hanger pairs. I highly recommend the SRE4000 for 5K to 6K axles. MORryde also recommends the X-Factor on the center pair of hangers. You do need 3" of tire clearance above the tires prior to installation of the SRE4000--it will raise your trailer creating an additional 1" of clearance. It needs 4" of clearance to work since it changes shock into movement. I truly believe that the SRE4000 greatly reduces "shaken trailer syndrome". Full disclosure: we also had disk brakes, heavier axles, and wet bolt kit installed at the same time. Our non-RV friends cannot believe we put that much money into a new trailer. We just decided to get it all done immediately when new instead of dribbling it out over a few years.

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
Getting ready to do a upgrade on my project trailer. I plan to add rubber equalizers, wet bolt kit with bronze bushings, and shocks. I can't say if it's worth the money over stock but it makes me feel better. It's a long winter and I have plenty of time and the cost is minimal. I plan on taking the trailer on a several thousand mile trip to Alaska.

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
One of the best upgrades a trailer owner can do. The shackles are twice as thick as the factory and the greasable bushings quiet things down 100%. Stability is the biggest advantage from this upgrade. I does not take long for the plastic bushings to wear out. You can do it yourself if you have 2 floor jacks and stands to support the trailer while you take the wheels off and the springs loose.

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Absolutely it is a job you can do yourself. There is a great thread on this stuck at the top of this forum, complete with lots of pictures, that will help you do it. The former moderator of this TT forum, Les Adams, started it and I and others did their trailers following his lead. I posted about about it also in his thread. I think you will find it very helpful.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

Andy_F
Explorer
Explorer

I finnaly did the wet bolt and rubber ride upgrade and it made a big difference. My 18 year old mechanic/son/wizard did it for me in our driveway. I also now tow a full tank of gray water to add weight over the axles to cut down on bouncing. I may add shocks next year before our next trip west.
Andy
2018 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 36LA
2012 Keystone Bullet 281BHS-Sold
2008 Toyota Sequoia-Sold
ProPride 3P - what a hitch!-Sold

Nights camped in 2017=42
Nights camped in 2018=32
Nights camper in 2019=30
Nights camped in 2020=17

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
One cannot deny the advantages of wet bolts and bronze bearings but I would certainly consider shock absorbers.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
wet bolts and bronze bushings are IMHO a good upgrade if you put very many miles/year on the trailer. It will adress some suspension component weakness. I doubt it helps on keeping things from moving around one bit. I didn't notice any difference. What will help things from moving around is to get the tires balanced, if they are steel wheels make sure the shop uses lug centric adapters. If they are alloy wheels they are probably hub/lug centric. That made a noticeable difference in both my trailers and with several other friends we travel with.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

kfp673
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks all! Appreciate the info! I will search for some install videos to see if I am comfortable with this install.

amxpress
Explorer
Explorer
Might I offer a suggestion? Prior to spending big bucks for a suspension upgrade, have a reputable shop balance your tires. Try it for a while and if you still have the original problem, go with the suspension upgrades.
I installed an accelerometer in my Jayco TT and measured before and after dBg readings. Balancing the tires made a substantial difference in lowering the numbers.
2021 Toyota Tundra TRD Off Road double cab
2022 Airstream International 27FB
Blue Ox Sway Pro hitch
M.I.L is self quatanting in Jacksonville Zoo

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
BarabooBob wrote:
The only change I made to my new TT was to add wet bolts and bronze bushings. You could heart a difference at low speeds because the creaking, grinding sound was gone when we hit bumps. With the new bushings and bolts, there is no noise so I am guessing a lot less wear.

Yes. I forgot to say that as a positive side effect you can sneak into or out of a campground early in the a.m. or late at night and no one will hear you!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

BC4277
Explorer
Explorer
After an 8,000 mile trip last spring to the northeast USA, & Canada, we upgraded to the MorRyde CRE 3000 system. Last month, we completed a 3,800 mile trip to Banff & Jasper National Parks. The trailer did seem to tow smoother. We have some towels that hang in the rear bath that used to shake off the hooks, now they stay on the hooks. Not real scientific, but the only indicator that I have.

As far as loose screws, I carry a small tube of Loctite Blue (not the Red) and put a small drop on any screws that have worked loose.
2017 Freedom Express 192RBS
Fastway E2 Trunion Hitch
2003 Tundra 4.7

Where ever I am,
is where I'm supposed to be

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
My TT came with the MR 3000, wet bolts and shocks. Floats like a butterfly.

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
The only change I made to my new TT was to add wet bolts and bronze bushings. You could heart a difference at low speeds because the creaking, grinding sound was gone when we hit bumps. With the new bushings and bolts, there is no noise so I am guessing a lot less wear.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired