cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fuel sensor probe question

jimj
Explorer
Explorer
My fuel gauge is not reading accurate so I talked to Joel at Centroid and after testing he thinks the probe is failing. I replaced the probe several years ago and now its going out again. Joel from Centroid said they don't sell them direct but to call Alliance, which is now Lazy Days. I paid about $65 for the one I replaced Now the price with tax and shipping is over $180. Lazy Days has more than doubled the price in 6 or 7 years.
My question is will another manufacture probe work with the Monaco gauge??
The Centroid probe is a CAPACITIVE type and I wonder if a float type probe would work?
Have any of you changed the probe to another manufacture?

Thanks

JimJ
3 REPLIES 3

jimj
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Bob
I have tested the probe by getting the voltage between the inner tube and the outer tube. Joel at Centroid said the voltage is too high and the internal regulator is bad.
I sprayed some carburetor cleaner in the tube to see if maybe it has gunk in the tube causing the inaccurate reading and will test again today.
I thought someone on the forum may have replaced their probe with a different manufacture probe.
Someone on this forum may have the technical knowledge to determine which probe will work.

Thanks for the reply

JimJ

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Calibrated correctly I assume? Does it calibrate correctly with ignition on? Check connections and add ground wire. Check connections on the gauge. Pull it out and test it. Should read empty when out and check the reading as you lower it into a full tank, takes time due to the high damping. Run temporary wires from the gauge to the sensor.

Could be the gauge of course.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

jimj
Explorer
Explorer
I should have added
2003 Monaco Diplomat
Sorry

JimJ