cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to find this floorplan

mrdorkdar
Explorer
Explorer
So my SUV can pull up to 5000 pounds and I am trying to see if any other company sells this floorplan. This one works but there aren’t any available within like 2 states. I like that the bedroom is in the back, all solid walls, and the couch and dinner is table all face the tv area. Does anyone know of anyone else?

EDITED: New model, Coachman 213RDS, only weighs 3806 dry weight!

https://coachmenrv.com/ImageHandler.ashx?ImageID=52115
33 REPLIES 33

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
mrdorkdar, " Dry weight is only 3800. I was thinking with a propane tank and batteries maybe 4200? That’s not bad right"?

As people are saying, the dry weight is a really a meaningless number because there is no industry standard to where a manufacturer weighs an rv.

You need to look at the gross weight rating and that's the number where most people roll at.

Because its easy to over pack , the bottom line is have the TV control the TT not the other way around. You have to be extra careful using an suv.

My TT's advertised dry wt was 4200# with a TW of 525#.
When I bought it new I went to a scale without any personal gear. I sat on a scale at approx. 5500#, unknown TW at that time. I had 6 gals in the water heater and 5 gals in the water tank, plus twin 30# LP's and one grp 31 deep cycle on the tongue.
Once I loaded it for a trip I sat at 6500# with 850# of TW. My TW went up to 950# when I added a tongue mounted bike rack and 2 bikes . I towed with a 2016 1500 max tow GM pickup and I felt it was a good match for my TT.

campbikemom
Explorer
Explorer
I am new here, and not really a "weight police" member. However, our tow vehicle used to be a mid-size unibody SUV with a towing capacity of 5000 pounds. Similar to the Atlas. Our camper has a dry weight of about 3200 pounds and a GVWR of 4500 (Starcraft BH19.... a lot smaller than the trailer you are looking at). We never towed it with water and always packed very light, but it was still pretty darn close to that towing limit.

I would recommend not going over 2800 pounds or so and keep it to a 7' wide trailer with an egg design.....IF you are planning on keeping this car. The mid-size unibody SUV's are not meant to really tow, and do not underestimate the added drag that a hardside trailer. Our car really got pushed around and struggled horribly with inclines. We always stuck to camping within a few hours of home.

We did it, but went into the situation with our eyes wide open. We were willing to suffer with what we had because we had a distinct plan to live with it for a couple camping seasons and then trade our car in for something bigger.

Something like this would get you a bed and a couch; you'd just need to put the bed up and down each day if you planned to use the couch. Check out video of some of the Forest River murphy beds. I am not sure about this particular lines, but all the ones I've seen have a great non-folding system that is easy peasey. We are leaning towards a murphy for our new trailer and I've tried them out myself on the Rockwood Mini-Lites and they are a breeze.

https://forestriverinc.com/rvs/travel-trailers/flagstaff-e-pro/E19FD/3557

Something like this is probably pushing the weight, but with the eggshell design and a much smaller footprint you'd be in a better spot. The u-shaped dinettes are very roomy.

https://forestriverinc.com/rvs/travel-trailers/r-pod/RP-195/4588

This Jayco has the layout you like with the bed in the back, but just a standard booth dinette. 7' wide though and under 3000 lbs.

https://www.jayco.com/products/travel-trailers/2020-jay-flight-slx-7/195rb/

Also, think about what shortcuts in quality of materials are being made to get a trailer THAT big down to that weight considering almost every other 25' trailer with a slide you will find is going to be at least 1200 pounds heavier.

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
PAThwacker wrote:
mrdorkdar wrote:
PAThwacker wrote:
Most camping trailer I’d pull behind a unibody fake suv with zero off-road attributes is a 10 foot popup camper.

Somebody’s in a bad mood....

3 pages worth of people saying too much for your CUV.

People aren't saying this just to rain on your parade. You asked for advice, and experienced RVers are offering it. You seem fixated on the dry weight of the camper vs. your tow rating. The dry weight is a fiction, and as I mentioned above, while your Atlas would probably tow a 5000 lb boat OK, a TT is a much more challenging load.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
mrdorkdar wrote:
PAThwacker wrote:
Most camping trailer I’d pull behind a unibody fake suv with zero off-road attributes is a 10 foot popup camper.

3 pages worth of people saying too much for your CUV.
2015 Keystone Springdale Summerland 257rl
Tow vehicle: 2003 GMC K1500 ext lb
Previous: 14 years of 3 popups and a hybrid tt

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
richardcoxid wrote:
A friend of mine that has been in the RV repair business for over 30 years told me-

Now these are not hard and fast figures, there are to many variables (WB of tow vehicle, distance from tear axle of the TV to the hitch ball, distance from the TT hitch to the TT axles, location of the tanks etc) to use the rule of 1/3rds, say that you have a LOADED tongue weight of 900# when the WD hitch is adjusted it will transfer ABOUT 300# to the TV front axle, ABOUT 300# to the TV rear axle and ABOUT 300# to the TT axles.

Which just goes to show that just because someone can fix an RV doesn't mean they understand how a WD hitch works. The amount of weight transferred is a function of the spring bars. It has nothing to do with the actual tongue weight. Tongue weight could be zero, weight will still be transferred.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Huntindog wrote:
richardcoxid wrote:
A friend of mine that has been in the RV repair business for over 30 years told me-

Now these are not hard and fast figures, there are to many variables (WB of tow vehicle, distance from tear axle of the TV to the hitch ball, distance from the TT hitch to the TT axles, location of the tanks etc) to use the rule of 1/3rds, say that you have a LOADED tongue weight of 900# when the WD hitch is adjusted it will transfer ABOUT 300# to the TV front axle, ABOUT 300# to the TV rear axle and ABOUT 300# to the TT axles.
True,, but it all still counts as TW.
There is no free lunch

See the first post in this thread.
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
richardcoxid wrote:

True,, but it all still counts as TW.
There is no free lunch
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

richardcoxid
Explorer
Explorer

2017 GMC Denali 3500 4x4 Duramax
2019 Outdoor RV (ORV) Timber Ridge 24RKS

librty02
Explorer
Explorer
mrdorkdar wrote:
So nobody knows of any other floorplan around this weight that has the dinette, couch, and separate bedroom?

There are but all are heavier and as previously stated the one you're looking at is too much for your vehicle. Your suv may have a 5k tow capacity but when not able to utilize a WDH it is not a 5k tow capacity for a travel trailer...it is 5k for like stated above maybe a boat or a utility trailer that is about it. I will def agree with the 10ft pop up statement as I wouldn't tow anything bigger with that SUV as you NEED a WDH to properly control the SUV and trailer that is 5k...without the WDH you will be in a world of hurt....sorry but it's the truth
2011 FORD F-150 FX4 CREW CAB ECO...
2018 Ford F-150 Max Tow Crew 6.5 3.5 Eco...
2013 Keystone Passport 2650BH, EQUAL-I-ZER 1K/10K

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
This unit has a bonded floor.... It may last thru the warranty period.

There have been many failure reports, and I have a good friend that purchased such a unit as well. He got his floor replaced at the factory, out of warranty for free.... But this friend works with a lot of high priced lawyers, so he was able to put the kind of pressure on that normal people can't afford to.

My best advice is to let someone else buy it.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

mrdorkdar
Explorer
Explorer
So nobody knows of any other floorplan around this weight that has the dinette, couch, and separate bedroom?

mrdorkdar
Explorer
Explorer
PAThwacker wrote:

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
2015 Keystone Springdale Summerland 257rl
Tow vehicle: 2003 GMC K1500 ext lb
Previous: 14 years of 3 popups and a hybrid tt

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
I would be concerned that, without a weight distribution hitch, the nose of your SUV will be way up, unloading the front tires.
With a 4000 lb trailer, you are looking at about 480 lb tongue weight. You could try to approximate this by putting weight on a cargo tray installed in your receiver to see the effect it will have.
If you end up with a 5000 lb camper, the tongue weight would be about 600 lb.
Our camper is listed as 3880 lb coming from the factory. Was almost 4300 lb when I took it home. Ready to go, it’s right at 5000 lb.
Just some stuff to consider.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch