cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Pet Health Insurance - Which One?

3_dog_nights
Explorer
Explorer
Just got a new dog and want to get her Pet health insurance. Which One??
We are looking at Nationwide, Trupanion and Petplan. Does anyone have any experiences with any of these.
Bob & Lynn
2 Chihuahua's, Ella, Gracie

was-2013 Open Range 424RLS,06' Chevy 3500, dually, Duramax/Allison

also was - 2015 Winnebago Adventurer 37F, towing 2003 Jeep Wrangler

now - 2021 NoBo 19.5, 2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL (Talk about downsizing!)
6 REPLIES 6

Ed_Gee
Explorer
Explorer
gbopp wrote:
Maybe you can contact your Vet and see what policies they accept or if they have any problems with certain plans?

I do not believe vets play any part in Pet Health Insurance plans.....at least not for the insurance policy we have. After paying the vet bill, We simply send the insurance a copy of the vets bill invoice and they reimburse.
Ed - on the Central Oregon coast
2018 Winnebago Fuse 23A
Scion xA toad

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
trupanion is what my kid has for her four labs, so far they,ve been great and the bills were in the thousands.her dog club also uses trupanion.

Flute_Man
Explorer
Explorer
None. Save your money and pay your self.
Jerry Parr
05 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350
04 Honda CR-V
Ham Radio K7OU
Retired EE
Jrparr32@gmail.com
602-321-8141
Full-timer

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
I have looked at pet insurance over the years, and with my last two Golden Retrievers, I calculated the total costs including end of life care that went into the thousands with each, and then calculated what I would have spent on the insurance. The math always works out that I am better off self-insuring.

Of course that is exactly what insurance is- collect many from many people and pay it out to few people. The goal is to collect more than they pay. The odds with insurance is never in your favor.

Another rule with insurance is to never insure what you can afford to replace on your own. That is why you insure your house but not your toaster. IF you could not come up with several hundred or thousand dollars for vet care, then the insurance is money well spent.

I was in a vet office once and my heart was breaking for a family who could not afford the $2000 it was going to take to save their beloved pet. But, if you cannot afford the care, you should not have a pet (well maybe a goldfish).

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe you can contact your Vet and see what policies they accept or if they have any problems with certain plans?

Ed_Gee
Explorer
Explorer
3 dog nights wrote:
Just got a new dog and want to get her Pet health insurance. Which One??
We are looking at Nationwide, Trupanion and Petplan. Does anyone have any experiences with any of these.

After much research my wife chose Healthy Paws Pet Insurance for our new terrier. We have used it twice so far and has proved to be well worth it for our 2+ year old terrier.
Ed - on the Central Oregon coast
2018 Winnebago Fuse 23A
Scion xA toad