Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Murphy Bed vs. Separate Bedroom
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Murphy Bed vs. Separate Bedroom

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
rbpru

North Central Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/14/19 07:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We bought our TT because we did not want to set up and take down.

I Murphy bed maybe a simple option and handy, but for us it was never an option.

Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

Kevinwa

Western canada

View Profile

Posted: 10/14/19 09:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have a 2015 Rockwood 2504S that we got sept 2014. We have averaged over 35 nights a summer in it, and usually have one fall camping trip with below freezing weather and snow. Love the Murphy bed. It gets us so much more In a little trailer. It is a camper queeen mattress and we have a full size Costco queen memory foam on it. We fold it up first thing every morning. So easy to do, two quick straps over the bedding and one hand to lift. It has been a great unit with two young kids, now 6 and 8. We don’t find the lack of a hard door a deterrent in the mommy daddy time department, probably happens more then when home. The one thing I do notice is the lack of a hard door on the bunk room. When fall camping in foul weather we like to play board games at the table with friends and that is tough with only a curtain. As our kids grow older I can see that changing and when they stay up later then us I might be wanting of a door at my bed. Love the camper, tons of storage, just no spot for the zero gravity chairs, so they ride in the truck box.

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/15/19 07:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My opinion only, I would want a seperate bedroom. If someone gets up before the other they can have coffee without disturbing the other.

The privacy a separate bedroom adds would be a benefit in other ways.

Ride S40T

OK

View Profile

Posted: 10/15/19 07:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Murphy bed all the way. There is no substitute for the added floor space. Especially if there's no bumps. You'll appreciate that extra room on the occasional rainy day or when packing lots of family.

For us, it was either a murphy or the unit we have that pops out the back like a pez dispenser. We have as much floor space as a 30 footer wrapped in a 25 footer.

2019 Keystone Outback 250URS
2019 GMC Sierra Denali HD 3500 SRW
Traveling K9s Diesel and Roger

campbikemom

New York

View Profile

Posted: 10/16/19 11:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Man I have to do an eye roll at some of you. I grew up backpacking and living large in a popup and in my adulthood have continued to backpack, tent it at drive-up sites, had my own popup, and now have a single-room travel trailer. Never would "mommy and daddy time" for the 30 nights a year we camp even be remotely entertained in the decision on what type of camper to get.

Thanks for the input from those of you that have one. It sounds like 90% of the people out there who have a murphy bed appreciate the pros of having one vs. the potential cons. Especially with the type of campers that we are I think it will be the best bang for our desired footprint.

We did a walk through of a couple Rockwood 2509S models the other day (a 2019 and 2020) and I really like them. 25', a u-shaped dinette, and two pantries is amazing. I really wish you could order campers without an "entertainment center." They are so much wasted space. In the case of the 2509 there is no upper cabinets in the kitchen in lieu of a space for a big TV. Annoying considering we'll never use a TV.

campbikemom

New York

View Profile

Posted: 10/16/19 11:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ride S40T wrote:

Murphy bed all the way. There is no substitute for the added floor space. Especially if there's no bumps. You'll appreciate that extra room on the occasional rainy day or when packing lots of family.

For us, it was either a murphy or the unit we have that pops out the back like a pez dispenser. We have as much floor space as a 30 footer wrapped in a 25 footer.

I have seen those - what made you decide on your pez dispenser vs. a murphy?

Snomas

Sedona, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/17/19 07:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We just bought a 22' flagstaff Mico lite w/ Murphy bed and one large slide out. The bed folds up in one piece and was a little too firm so I just added a 1" memory foam piece over it and it is great. The Murphy bed gives us much more space in a small TT and is easy to lift up and down. The extra couch it allows in a small TT I think makes the TT More livable. I have had only one warranty issue in our new Forest River TT. My Dutch Star DP had more warranty issues than this TT so far. We don't camp more than a week at a time anymore so that why we went from 40' to 22' and it is simple to hook up and go.

2018 F150 Lariat Crew Cab, 5.0 L V8, RWD.
2019 Flagstaff micro mini 21DS
Anderson WDH

brianosaur

Long Island

View Profile

Posted: 10/17/19 06:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We bought a 2019 Highland Ridge Open Range 2802BH in June and love it. It has everything our old TT didnt

Bunks, recliners, u-dinette, 12'slide, cabinets above recliners, large pantry, NO FLOOR GRATES (all wall vents), 8cu refer, stainless sinks, ducted A/C, zero carpet (LOVE THAT), exterior ladder, full outdoor kitchen w/ metal sink area that drains, 21' awning that covers outdoor kitchen.

Box is 28' total is 31'

This is the 2018

Ride S40T

OK

View Profile

Posted: 10/17/19 10:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

campbikemom wrote:

Ride S40T wrote:

1) Floor space/floor plan, 2) front bunk space to house the dogs, 3) price.

We'd been looking for over a year and when we walked into it, we knew "this is it". It was laid out perfectly for our needs.

campbikemom

New York

View Profile

Posted: 10/18/19 05:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ride S40T wrote:

campbikemom wrote:

Ride S40T wrote:

1) Floor space/floor plan, 2) front bunk space to house the dogs, 3) price.

We'd been looking for over a year and when we walked into it, we knew "this is it". It was laid out perfectly for our needs.

Interesting about the price because I feel like it is the same or more as a lot of the murphy bed options that we have looked at.

It also appears your particular model has been discontinued. That's too bad, because I think that is my favorite "pez dispenser" model that I've seen yet. I really like any models that have the "garage" although I have yet to see one that had windows on bunks like that, which is a big negative. I also wanted to have a "walk around" bed, but a big king might be a trade-off I'm willing to do!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Murphy Bed vs. Separate Bedroom
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.