Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Murphy Bed vs. Separate Bedroom
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Murphy Bed vs. Separate Bedroom

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
campbikemom

New York

View Profile

Posted: 10/05/19 06:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ADK Camper wrote:

I have no personal experience with a Murphy bed, but I talked to a couple who had one. I was told that it can be folded when completely made up, and deploying it and folding it was very easy. They seemed to like it.

I do have some experience with sofas and u shaped dinettes. U dinettes don't comfortably sit as many people as you might think. Two people sitting near a corner will be knocking knees. I suggest you sit all the people who will travel with you at any dinettes you are considering before you commit.

I would give high priority to a sofa. No matter how much time you intend to spend outside, you'll have to deal with an occasional rain day and a comfortable sofa will make a big difference. Dinettes are fine for a meal or playing game, but they're just not comfortable for reading or watching TV.

Do happen to know what camper brand/model they had?

I agree about the u-shaped dinettes. They are much better than standard dinettes, however. My dream is one big couch that has chaise legs coming off the two ends and then a folding table you can move in front of it when you need to eat at it. I have yet to find that setup yet, though!

campbikemom

New York

View Profile

Posted: 10/05/19 07:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tin-bender wrote:

We bought the Rockwood Mini Light 2507s with Murphy bed this year, and have spent about 30 nights in it this Summer. We love it!!! Mattress is travel trailer standard but with a foam toppper it is just fine. As stated above the bed doesn't fold it is a true Murphy bed and stands up against the wall. When closed all you see is a finished wall and cabinet.

With the bed up and the slide out there is a huge amount of room for a small trailer.and lots of kitchen counter space!!!

Down side:
The bed stows down into the pass through area that is common in most TT and uses up a lot of that space, this worried me during the "gonna buy" stage but decided it could be lived with. As it turned out it is fine, plenty of storage.

Speaking of storage we were amazed at the amount available in this small trailer, our old trailer was 2 foot longer and we were crowded for storage. We took everything out of the old TT and placed it in the new and we found we have empty cabinets, kind of a strange.

I would also recommend that you look at the Rockwood Mini Lite 2509s (with bunk beds) We found the brand to be much better built especially in the fit and finish than most other brands we looked at, and we looked at a lot of them.
Tinbender

Thank you so much for the information! This is great information. I checked it out and it literally has all the things that I want. Not just one, but TWO pantries. A window in the slide. Windows in the bunk. Cabinet doors on the dinette ends. I would prefer one big sink but I'll settle for two.

campbikemom

New York

View Profile

Posted: 10/06/19 05:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wanderingaimlessly wrote:

Found a few, Jay feather
Several in Pa, if that isnt too far.

No, PA wouldn't be too far, however, we are just in the "starting to look" phase and wouldn't be purchasing until next year sometime so I am sure they will be long gone by then. We wanted to try and get another season out of our current camper and continue to haul with our new TV to get a feel for it's capabilities before we switched things up.

campbikemom

New York

View Profile

Posted: 10/06/19 05:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Second Chance wrote:

We have three slides and do just fine in cold weather (full-timers). It all depends on how well the RV is built. We just had a conversation with a couple who have a Murphy bed in their TT. The rig was fairly new and the mattress was already developing a crease and breaking down as a result of being folded. I would vote against a Murphy.

Rob

To clarify, we DEFINITELY are not considering a murphy that folds - only the ones that tip up into place while made and that you can put a topper on.

GrandpaKip

Flat Rock

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/06/19 07:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have a u shaped dinette. It is a lot easier to sit 4 people in a standard 2 bench setup. The upside is that the backside can be used to stretch out.
We looked at the Mini Lites a few years ago and were impressed overall with them.

Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

ependydad

Here and there

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/10/19 10:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So, not to be crude - but, without a separate bedroom will there be issues with having "mommy/daddy private time"?

I have definitely wanted hard-doors between us and the kids in each rig we've had (even before we went fulltime).

2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

Jebby14

Windsor Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 10/10/19 01:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^ real consideration. a door requires much less creativity

badercubed

Canandaigua, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/11/19 04:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No hard doors required. We just go at it after the kids go to bed, or at the fire.

We opted for the regular bed because I wanted to preserve the pass-through storage and figured we would just use the bed as a couch anyways. We live in NY was well and camp in the Adirondacks and in the Finger Lakes, so we definitely battle the weather. I enjoy not having to fold up the bed, the storage underneath and the upgraded mattress.

We came from a MUCH larger camper and haven't minded the downsize.

2019 Apex Nano 208BHS
2018 GMC Canyon Crew Cab SLE

Been camping for 36 of my 37 years!

mccsix

Pensacola Florida

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/19 05:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This what we just bought and luv it
Bunk house with a murphy bed @ 5000#
https://www.paulsherryrvs.com/rv/piqua+oh/jayco+traveltrailer/8344/jayco+white+hawk+23mbh

frisbeekev

Burtonsville, md

View Profile

Posted: 10/14/19 03:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For us we voted against a Murphey bed. I stay up later then the wife and kids, ,so it is nice to still have a couch to sit on while they are asleep.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Murphy Bed vs. Separate Bedroom
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.