Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Eternabond vs Dicor
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Eternabond vs Dicor

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Whiskey River

Pittsburgh, Pa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/07/19 06:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Still wondering so will ask my question a little different.
gbopp: You covered all roof seams & edges w/eternabond & several years later no problem. Did you have a problem or leak before or was this done for preventive maintenance?
jplante4: You did eternabond on both seams. Did you have a leak or do this for preventive maintenance?
Halmfamily: You put eternabond on all roof seams four years ago. Were the seams leaking or do this for preventive maintenance?
BarneyS: You put eternabond on every roof penetration 10 years ago. Leak or preventive maintenance?
ReneeG: You did seams & skylight with eternabond. Leak or preventive maintenance?
My rig is 10 years old and I have never had a leak. I clean it and treat it a couple times a year. I'm just trying to decide if I should put eternabond on the seams etc. That's why I wonder if you all had a leak prior to installing the Eternabond…...

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 10/07/19 07:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jplante4 wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Ask Eternabond. Installed properly it will NOT come loose.

So your entire argument is "The manufacturer who gets all the profits from the sale of their product recommends this"?

Why add more that can deteriorate and come loose for no reason. Moderator who are you quoting???

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 10/07/19 07:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Whiskey if you don’t mind doing the maintenance leave well enough alone.

If you don’t want to do maintenance again follow directions and have proper tools and a warm day n get er dun.

ReneeG

Meridian, Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/08/19 07:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Whiskey River wrote:

Still wondering so will ask my question a little different.
gbopp: You covered all roof seams & edges w/eternabond & several years later no problem. Did you have a problem or leak before or was this done for preventive maintenance?
jplante4: You did eternabond on both seams. Did you have a leak or do this for preventive maintenance?
Halmfamily: You put eternabond on all roof seams four years ago. Were the seams leaking or do this for preventive maintenance?
BarneyS: You put eternabond on every roof penetration 10 years ago. Leak or preventive maintenance?
ReneeG: You did seams & skylight with eternabond. Leak or preventive maintenance? We had a leak at the skylight. BUT - we applied Eternabond at the seams on the front and back cap - Maintenance and no problem to date.
My rig is 10 years old and I have never had a leak. I clean it and treat it a couple times a year. I'm just trying to decide if I should put eternabond on the seams etc. That's why I wonder if you all had a leak prior to installing the Eternabond…...

2011 Bighorn 3055RL
2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley BD3
1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica and Mabel, both Rat Terriers!

spoon059

Just north of D.C.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/08/19 11:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JIMNLIN wrote:

caused one trailer owner to loose his new trailer roof warranty.

Care to provide details? This sounds ridiculous...

2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

ajriding

st clair

View Profile

Posted: 10/08/19 05:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have used the tape successfully too.
Beware, that when overlapping the tape you should put a dab of Dicor on the overlap. I used the tape to hold down solar panels and where the tape met at a 90 deg angle a tiny bit of water was able to get under. It was where the tape had to transition from on top of the other layer of tape to the roof. It did not fill that angle gap. Just a drop of Dicor fixed this now known issue.

I have used the tape on the roof vent. No issues. Yes, there is lumps, but as long as the edges of the tape can lay flat it can be as lumpy as it wants in the center of the tape.

No need to use a roller to flatten the tape. I used the thumb loop of my scissors and just "rolled" it down with force.

The reason to use Dicor instead of tape is that the tape residue is much harder to remove. Although the tape is easy to remove with a bit of heat, it still leaves behind residue. Even on a flat fiberglass surface with 1500 degrees of flameless heat it is difficult to scrape it all off. Dicor will scrape off fairly easy with just a scraper. (be sure to put the flat side of the scraper down, not the beveled edge).

But, Dicor will not last as long as the tape. In a few years Dicor might start to crack. As others have said, the tape can last for years, one guy mentioned 10 years and I have mo problem with this claim.

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 10/08/19 09:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

spoon059 wrote:

JIMNLIN wrote:

caused one trailer owner to loose his new trailer roof warranty.

Care to provide details? This sounds ridiculous...

Not really.
The trailer owner had a brand new trailer and bit into the add Eternbond thing and you won't ever have to do anymore roof maintance thing some like to push. From his discription he applied it over much of the roof fixtures/jacks/cap seams.
He had the trailer back for some warranty issues and someone from the dealership saw all the bandaids laying on the new trailers roof. Apparantly Eternabond was not a factory approved sealant.
The trailer owner was a rv.net member ("novice" or some thing like that). He was a prolific new poster 4-5 years back. Had tons of questions.

Nothing new there as trailer owners on other rv websites have talked about that problem when applying it on a new trailer.

Much also has been posted on the net about resale value of a new trailer concerning the use of Eternabond.

I did a quick google and found several websites where both issues were discussed. Interesting subject as some members have said their trailer mfg had no issue with using the product.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 10/09/19 04:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

" It was where the tape had to transition from on top of the other layer of tape to the roof. It did not fill that angle gap. Just a drop of Dicor fixed this now known issue."

Now THIS comment makes sense.

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 10/09/19 04:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would say if under warranty contact manufacturer before applying the Eternabone!!!

zigzagrv

Nazareth, PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/09/19 06:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OP here. I had a tough time removing the old Dicor probably because the air temp was in the low 60's. Will use a heat gun the next time Duh! The other thing is I have a fiberglass roof with a rough surface (pebbled?). So, I think a thin bead of Dicor on the edge of the tape would be necessary to properly seal it.

Thanks for all the hints and suggestions. I'll be going with the Eternabond for the remaining 25 feet or so that I haven't done yet.

Ron

2003 Gulf Stream Ultra Supreme 33'
F53 Class A
Master Tow dolly
Toyota RAV4

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Eternabond vs Dicor
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS