cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How to add bleach to fresh water tank

RRTom
Explorer
Explorer
The only way I can find to put water/bleach into the fresh water tank for cleaning is through the "city water" hose connection. Because of the angle of that connection and the screen over it/in it, pouring bleach in there is impossible. Even with a funnel. The only way I see to do it is to pour bleach into the water hose, connect it to the faucet and turn on the water.

On our previous motor homes, there was a filler for the fresh water tank similar to the filler for a gas tank. Used a funnel and poured bleach in that, then added water. No filler like that on this motor home.

Any other ideas on how to deal with the problem?
2020 Georgetown GT 31LS
25 REPLIES 25

austinjenna
Explorer
Explorer
I,ve drained my hose ,poured the bleach into the house then hooked to my fill. just be caeful. you only need a cup of bleach

I do the same thing, just pour it in your hose and be done with it - simple and nothing else to buy

2010 F350 CC Lariat 4x4 Short Bed
2011 Crusader 298BDS 5th Wheel
Reese 16K

fred42
Explorer
Explorer
Although I have a conventional water tank fill, I use the tool below to push a small amount of RV antifreeze into the city water valve and associated water line for winterization after I have used my antifreeze pickup hose to fill the lines.

For sanitizing a system with only a city water fill for the tank you use the same tool. I have always diluted the bleach in a gallon of water before I inject it.

https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-P23507VP-Plastic-Hand-Pump/dp/B00594AAJS/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=Valterr...

2007 Tiffin Allegro 28DA

ryoung
Explorer
Explorer
Why not just use a funnel with a hose attached to it.

Like this one:Home Depot

ryoung
2018 Ram 3500 SRW Diesel
2019 Wolf Creek 840

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
:h I think Dutch went into hiding after that thought. ๐Ÿ˜‰

So what is to preclude just pouring it into the filler hose, reconnect and let her rip tader chip? Try it you may like it, let us know.

ericosmith
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:
Pump your water bleach solution into your fresh tank using your winterizing system.

hmmm...I always thought that the purpose of this system was to bypass the tank. Certainly it will pump the solution through the water lines, but what about the tank itself?

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
As someone else recommended , is to flush your hose drain and with the rv, connect that end back to rv end blocked pour in the amount of bleach required, Connect to the faucet without letting the chlorine drain out and turn the water on. Noe if the online or other water filter is ahead of the chlorine te filter will take it out of the water or some of it an such a large slug of it will poison the ability of the filter cartridge to remove chlorine.
If the rv end is higher than the faucet, then drain hose connect to faucet and pour chlorine into hose and connect to rv. Again if you pour alarge amount or even small straight chlorine up stream of a filter, it will remove some of the chlorine but poison the filters ability to take chlorine out of the water supply.
I edited out my post about putting the drinking water chlorine, not household bleach into a 10" filter housing because most of the water might flow straight cross,as there would be no filter to direct the water down and through and back up.

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
naturist wrote:
Get one of those funnels with a collapsible hose-like tail end. Try auto stores.

Or a turkey baster.

May I also suggest using hydrogen peroxide instead of bleach? Pour a whole quart in and let it sit for 24 hours. Easier to flush out and leaves no aftertastes.

The type of hydrogen peroxide available in grocery and drug stores is already diluted to a 3-10% solution. Diluting it further will make it a very poor disinfectant. Using industrial hydrogen peroxide would be unsafe for most people to be handling.

If youโ€™re wanting to sanitize your water system including the tank, the disinfectant needs to touch every square inch of it.

You really canโ€™t beat chlorine bleach for that job, and if you donโ€™t over do it, it flushes out easily.

:):)
2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 โ€˜Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam typesโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆ..Letโ€™s Go Brandon!!!

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
2 pages of arguing about something that is about as simple as putting your socks on in the morning.....
Synopsis, OPs camper apparently only has 1 connection for city water and filling the tank. Valve somewhere or sumthin....
Anyway, pour the bleach in the hose, then fill tank with same hose.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

lenr
Explorer II
Explorer II
No not everyone has an antifreeze suction line, but better trailers likely do. The question will be is there a way to route the output of the pump to the fresh water tank where it gets mixed with the proper amount of water. The first time I went out to Clorox our trailer I was just as stumped as the OP. The labels on our Coachmen Chaparral water valves were no help at all. So, I took off a panel to trace down the plumbing schematic. And, I realized that I could suck a Clorox water mixture in through the antifreeze suction line and pump it to the tank when the two valves were set for tank fill. All I have to do is shut off the water flow to the trailer, and then turn on the pump to such mixed Clorox out of a bucket.

Z-Peller
Explorer
Explorer

Pump your water bleach solution into your fresh tank using your winterizing system.

Any RV winterizing system I have seen is on the suction line between water tank and pump, and bypasses the fresh water tank suction..winterizing valve closes water tank suction line and opens pigtail suction line to jug of pink stuff.
Bill..
2017 Bigfoot 10.4 camper...2016 GMC 3500 4x4 Xcab Duramax Dually...

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer

maddog348
Explorer
Explorer
lenr ~~ Everybody got one of those ???

lenr
Explorer II
Explorer II
I use the antifreeze suction line to suck in a mixture of bleach and water. That leaves about 12" of water line from the city water connection around the valves that doesn't get exposed to the solution. I installed a new switch at the valve and city connection panel to make easy to turn the pump on and off (switch is in series with OEM switch, electrically).

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
jplante4 wrote:
Maybe I'm missing something but can't you just put the bleach in the hose and turn on the water?

That's what I would do. Sanitizes the hose at the same time.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand