cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Glacier Nat'l Park in 5th wheel, June 2020

calberry
Explorer
Explorer
We will be coming down from Banff on the way to Yellowstone mid-June 2020 and would like to spend a couple of nights in Glacier. We don't need hookups, so are considering Fish Creek or St. Marys. I am just starting my research (have already made reservations in Yellowstone) so know nothing about either (other than what I've seen on rec.gov.)

Any recommendations as to which CG is best, or should I look at spending a night or two at each one.

How does one get from one CG to the other since I wouldn't be able to go over the GTTS Rd? I do plan on doing the GTTS while there, but of course only in the truck.

Thanks,

Steve
2010 F350 XLT 4X4 6.8L V10
2012 Rockwood 8265WS 5er

Go Bears!
13 REPLIES 13

calberry
Explorer
Explorer
ericosmith wrote:
Some other food for thought. I preferred the Two Medicine area to Many Glacier. Just seemed less crowded with some nice trails. It's a long day but you could visit Many Glacier when you did GTS road and then camp in Two Medicine to cut down on the driving. The St. Mary's area just seemed to be more of a road junction than a scenic area. I'm not sure about the reservation situation though.

Fish Creek and St. Mary's are the only two CG's that take advance reservations. And to that point, I ASSUMED I could only make reservations there 6 months in advance, but as it turns out I have already missed the reservation window...so I had to book at the KOA in St. Marys instead. THAT's a bunch of extra bucks we had not planned on!!!
2012 Rockwood 8265WS 5er

Go Bears!

ericosmith
Explorer
Explorer
Some other food for thought. I preferred the Two Medicine area to Many Glacier. Just seemed less crowded with some nice trails. It's a long day but you could visit Many Glacier when you did GTS road and then camp in Two Medicine to cut down on the driving. The St. Mary's area just seemed to be more of a road junction than a scenic area. I'm not sure about the reservation situation though.

calberry
Explorer
Explorer
agesilaus wrote:
If you want to get to the west side from Banff just take the road to Radium Hot Springs then south to a border crossing there which puts you down on the west side of the park. You also get to see the Yolo and Kotenai parks on that side. That's what we did coming back.

That looks like a good route. We can go that way to Fish Creek for a day or two, and then go the lower route to St Mary's for another day or two before heading to Yellowstone. And we can at least try to go over GTTSR from one side or the other w/out the trailer.

Thanks.

Steve
2012 Rockwood 8265WS 5er

Go Bears!

calberry
Explorer
Explorer
ericosmith wrote:
Keep in mind that it's a lot further to get around to St. Mary's. Don't recall for sure but I'm guessing another 90 minutes or more. Decide on how far you want to travel and what you want to see in the park and let that drive your decision.

If I want to stay in both CG's I would have to take that route anyway since as I understand it I can't pull my trailer over GTTSR...nor would I want to 😉

Steve
2012 Rockwood 8265WS 5er

Go Bears!

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you want to get to the west side from Banff just take the road to Radium Hot Springs then south to a border crossing there which puts you down on the west side of the park. You also get to see the Yolo and Kotenai parks on that side. That's what we did coming back.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

ericosmith
Explorer
Explorer
Keep in mind that it's a lot further to get around to St. Mary's. Don't recall for sure but I'm guessing another 90 minutes or more. Decide on how far you want to travel and what you want to see in the park and let that drive your decision.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Think positive! GTTSR may be open.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

calberry
Explorer
Explorer
LibertyMan wrote:
It depends on what side of the park you want to stay on. In my opinion, the west side where Fish Creek is located is more touristy. Although I have not stayed in Fish Creek myself I did drive through the campground and it has more privacy between the spots from what I remember. The timber is taller and thicker. St. Mary on the east side is more open of a campground with smaller timber and has more of an open feeling. However, to me, the better hiking and views are on the east side. Particularly the hiking trails and views in the Many Glacier area. Going to the Sun Road may be open by mid to late June but it is a gamble. If it is not, your only way around the park to visit either side is by US 2 going around the south end of the park. Again, that was all my opinion. There are plenty of good hiking trails and things to see on the west side, but it just seems to be more developed. I have always preferred the east side. Hope this helps.

Good insight. Thanks.
2012 Rockwood 8265WS 5er

Go Bears!

LibertyMan
Explorer
Explorer
It depends on what side of the park you want to stay on. In my opinion, the west side where Fish Creek is located is more touristy. Although I have not stayed in Fish Creek myself I did drive through the campground and it has more privacy between the spots from what I remember. The timber is taller and thicker. St. Mary on the east side is more open of a campground with smaller timber and has more of an open feeling. However, to me, the better hiking and views are on the east side. Particularly the hiking trails and views in the Many Glacier area. Going to the Sun Road may be open by mid to late June but it is a gamble. If it is not, your only way around the park to visit either side is by US 2 going around the south end of the park. Again, that was all my opinion. There are plenty of good hiking trails and things to see on the west side, but it just seems to be more developed. I have always preferred the east side. Hope this helps.
2019 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite
2016 Ram CCSB 2500 CTD
GenY Weight Distribution Hitch

calberry
Explorer
Explorer
agesilaus wrote:
Yes barring any other problems like fires. Getting from one side to the other is done via US 2 which hooks around the bottom of the park. I drove that this summer but did not camp at Glacier. 2 is a good highway. I don't feel qualified to advise on dry camping cg, last couple of times we stayed at FHU cg. Don't try Hungry Horse Reservior for boondocking around the bottom of the park. I can tell you that from hard learned experience from this summer...heh. Get the MVUM from the National Forests in the area, they are online and will show you boondocking availability. There are a lot of areas around the park. They call it distributed camping on the maps.

I guess I wasn't clear in my original post, the only two CG's I am currently interested in are Fish Creek and St. Mary, and that is because I can make reservations with recreation.gov in advance.

Thanks for the Hwy info. I looked at the map and understand it now.

Steve
2012 Rockwood 8265WS 5er

Go Bears!

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes barring any other problems like fires. Getting from one side to the other is done via US 2 which hooks around the bottom of the park. I drove that this summer but did not camp at Glacier. 2 is a good highway. I don't feel qualified to advise on dry camping cg, last couple of times we stayed at FHU cg. Don't try Hungry Horse Reservior for boondocking around the bottom of the park. I can tell you that from hard learned experience from this summer...heh. Get the MVUM from the National Forests in the area, they are online and will show you boondocking availability. There are a lot of areas around the park. They call it distributed camping on the maps.
Superbumper

calberry
Explorer
Explorer
agesilaus wrote:
Probably too early for GTS road to be cleared. Depends on how snowy the winter was.

Won't the CG's be open?

Thx

Steve
2012 Rockwood 8265WS 5er

Go Bears!

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Probably too early for GTS road to be cleared. Depends on how snowy the winter was.
Superbumper