cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New LP/CO detector needed

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
OK, so it's well past time to replace the LP/CO detector in the Georgetown. Mine has the safety shutoff solenoid to shut off propane in the event of a leak inside. I want to replace it with an LP only alarm with auto shutoff but i can't seem to find one. Has anyone Donne this ? I have a CO smoke detector in the bedroom so I'm covers there (actually better since CO rises).

What I currently have is a Safe T plus 70-742 R. Looking to see if they make an LP only detector with auto shutoff.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!
12 REPLIES 12

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
There is varying recommendations on WHERE to place a CO detector. A quick Google search will turn up answers ranging from 5"-20" above the floor, to 5' above the floor, to the claim that since CO mixes with the air equally, anywhere (including on the ceiling) will work. My Itasca does indeed have it on the ceiling in the bedroom; I know for a fact that it works, as it went off several times last year at Nascar when the RV next to me was running his generator without a Genturi.
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
You may want to read where you are suppose to install the units according to the manufacturer:

Series 70 instructions

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:
So I’m just wondering how is he repairing the CO part of the detector. I know my LP side is functioning properly, it would seem to me repairing the CO side has some liability that I wouldn’t want to be a part of. Not bashing here, just an honest question!

The CCI detectors do not have CO detection built in. Interesting that Safe T Plus has both in one device. LP detectors mount near the floor and CO should be mounted higher.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
So I’m just wondering how is he repairing the CO part of the detector. I know my LP side is functioning properly, it would seem to me repairing the CO side has some liability that I wouldn’t want to be a part of. Not bashing here, just an honest question!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

A bad day camping is

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
Larry at CCIrepairs@gmail.com is doing CCI repairs. I suspect he can also handle Safe T plus. Larry lives in the K.C. metro area and offers a 3 day turn on repairs.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

Ava
Explorer
Explorer
Mine is now 25 years old and still works and alarms when tested. There is a fellow member on this site whom I met last winter who can repair these older units when they eventually pack in. Anyone wanting his user name PM me. Ava. ( Doug ).

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
I currently have a Safe T Plus unit. And am replacing it with the same part number. It’s a complete kit with the solenoid.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

A bad day camping is

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Did you get a new solenoid?
The CCI units will not hold up to the full 12volts provided by the MTI CSafe T Alert) units

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Ok. Thanks. Yes AVA I was have been doing that. But I just wanted it working 100%.
I just ordered the new one this morning. $160 shipped. So for now I’ll keep
It as it was built. Maybe next time I’ll just leave it, although they do say that the LP part of the sensor has a 5 year life span also. However I didn’t read that on the one in my 12 year old trailer we traded in.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

A bad day camping is

Ava
Explorer
Explorer
If your unit shuts off the propane as mine does, just keep using it if it is still working. The replacements for these are hard to find. As long as you test the sensor and it works, your fine.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
I would keep the dual function. Make sure you change the solenoid!MTI Sate T Plus

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
CO mixes readily with air and doesn't really rise. It is recommended that detectors be placed within 5' of the floor and if possible, never on the ceiling.