cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dog Chwing resistant entry mat

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
We bought a good plastic sorta coarse grass looking mat that was tough and removed dirt from our shoes and work great keeping it out of the coach.
We are at a Relative's in the Mohave and lots of sand and dirt.
They have two excellent good mannered watch dogs behind the fence with us but...the younger one chews everything. They pulled the mat apart, something I didn't think possible.
Will have to find another one, and lacking the availability of stainless steel grass entry mats/rugs need something that will stop them from chewing on it. If we Dog No, which Relatives say doesn't work or pepper spray, which we would track into the coach.
Anyone have something or know of something to stop them from chewing our mat up?
I said they were good dogs, they are. They are family dogs but guard dogs with shock collars. Trouble is the young one is still in the chewing stage and they do it when everyone is asleep or nto around.
11 REPLIES 11

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
If they are wearing shock collars, hit them.
Cayenne pepper might help.
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

joelc
Explorer III
Explorer III
I read somewhere Garlic can be poisonous to dogs. (Can be)

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
Wife bought some patio stones! Let that young one chew on them! I'm sure he'll try but at 20 lbs apiece he won't carry them far. 🙂

10forty2
Explorer
Explorer
The best thing to do is to train the dog what is acceptable to chew on and what is not. Make sure they have an acceptable toy to chew on and encourage it by playing with them with that toy. I cringe when people give them old shoes to chew on and then get mad when the dog chews up their good shoes. Short of that, you can try one of the Bitter-Apple sprays from most any pet store, but even those don't work as expected.
1999 Holiday Rambler Endeavor, 36' Gasser
Triton V10, Ford F53 Chassis
-----------------------------------------

blindeyes
Explorer
Explorer
Please don't use garlic. My pug also chews everything when he was still a pup what I use before is I add some lemon or if you have some budget you can get a training spray - the stop chewing one.

TCollins
Explorer
Explorer
Let them chew on this awhile.

https://www.garrettwade.com/galvanized-coil-steel-mud-mats-gp.html?SCID=W4011000&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIys7YwvuI5QIVS9bACh0d3wy_EAQYAiABEgKQf_D_BwE

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
What about only pepper the edge where he chews? Might not be where humans or dogs actually step.

joelc
Explorer III
Explorer III
Don't know if this would work, but try contacting PetsMart, Petco or call Chewy and see what they recommend. There are dog repellents out there.

craig7h
Nomad
Nomad
You should be able to go to any pet store and find what you are looking for. When our dog was young we found a product, just spray on and the dog would not go near it. I can not remember the name, but it work great.
Itasca Meridian SE 36g
Road Master Tow Dolly

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
Garlic is toxic for dogs. Not a good idea. Plus you would track in the garlic smell.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality – Ayn Rand

Gonzo42
Explorer
Explorer
Grind up some garlic and press it into the mat.
MOTHER SHIP Winnebago View 24H (2007 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Chassis, 2008 Body)3.0 L M-B Diesel V6 bought used with 24K miles. Toad: ROCKY the Flying Squirrel.