Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Dog Chwing resistant entry mat
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Dog Chwing resistant entry mat

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
down home

south

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/05/19 08:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We bought a good plastic sorta coarse grass looking mat that was tough and removed dirt from our shoes and work great keeping it out of the coach.
We are at a Relative's in the Mohave and lots of sand and dirt.
They have two excellent good mannered watch dogs behind the fence with us but...the younger one chews everything. They pulled the mat apart, something I didn't think possible.
Will have to find another one, and lacking the availability of stainless steel grass entry mats/rugs need something that will stop them from chewing on it. If we Dog No, which Relatives say doesn't work or pepper spray, which we would track into the coach.
Anyone have something or know of something to stop them from chewing our mat up?
I said they were good dogs, they are. They are family dogs but guard dogs with shock collars. Trouble is the young one is still in the chewing stage and they do it when everyone is asleep or nto around.

* This post was edited 10/05/19 09:39pm by down home *

Gonzo42

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/05/19 09:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grind up some garlic and press it into the mat.

MOTHER SHIP Winnebago View 24H (2007 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Chassis, 2008 Body)3.0 L M-B Diesel V6 bought used with 24K miles. Toad: ROCKY the Flying Squirrel.

bob213

Fresno, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/05/19 09:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Garlic is toxic for dogs. Not a good idea. Plus you would track in the garlic smell.

You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality – Ayn Rand

craig7h

Branson MO area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/06/19 04:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You should be able to go to any pet store and find what you are looking for. When our dog was young we found a product, just spray on and the dog would not go near it. I can not remember the name, but it work great.

Itasca Meridian SE 36g
Road Master Tow Dolly

joelc

Cedar Point, NC

View Profile

Posted: 10/06/19 06:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don't know if this would work, but try contacting PetsMart, Petco or call Chewy and see what they recommend. There are dog repellents out there.

wopachop

lb

View Profile

Posted: 10/06/19 11:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What about only pepper the edge where he chews? Might not be where humans or dogs actually step.

TCollins

NW Ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/06/19 07:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Let them chew on this awhile.

https://www.garrettwade.com/galvanized-coil-steel-mud-mats-gp.html?SCID=W4011000&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIys7YwvuI5QIVS9bACh0d3wy_EAQYAiABEgKQf_D_BwE

blindeyes

Manila

View Profile

Posted: 10/07/19 10:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Please don't use garlic. My pug also chews everything when he was still a pup what I use before is I add some lemon or if you have some budget you can get a training spray - the stop chewing one.

10forty2

North Carolina

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/08/19 09:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The best thing to do is to train the dog what is acceptable to chew on and what is not. Make sure they have an acceptable toy to chew on and encourage it by playing with them with that toy. I cringe when people give them old shoes to chew on and then get mad when the dog chews up their good shoes. Short of that, you can try one of the Bitter-Apple sprays from most any pet store, but even those don't work as expected.

1999 Holiday Rambler Endeavor, 36' Gasser
Triton V10, Ford F53 Chassis
-----------------------------------------

down home

south

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/08/19 06:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wife bought some patio stones! Let that young one chew on them! I'm sure he'll try but at 20 lbs apiece he won't carry them far. [emoticon]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Dog Chwing resistant entry mat
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS