cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cost of installation for antenna

Gonzo42
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone had a Roadtrip T4 satellite antenna installed on their roof and what did it cost in money and time?
MOTHER SHIP Winnebago View 24H (2007 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Chassis, 2008 Body)3.0 L M-B Diesel V6 bought used with 24K miles. Toad: ROCKY the Flying Squirrel.
15 REPLIES 15

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cell phones and TV antennas have nothing at all to do with each other.
You don't need TV at all if they won't lift their heads from their cell phones.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

ghooos
Explorer
Explorer
I'm considering grandchildren while under way. Of course I would prefer they see the scenery, but there is the cel phone addiction problem.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
The T4 is the only Winegard antenna that tracks the satellites while the RV is driving (in-motion). The Trav'ler and the other domes (stationary only) are also auto pointing just not auto tracking as tracking is not necessary once parked.
The D4 is for truckers.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.

Gonzo42
Explorer
Explorer
This is an exchange I had with a Weingard rep. My first question was which antennae were capable of tracking while under way and which was the most sensitive to weak signals:

The RoadTrip has a smaller reflector than the the Trav'ler so if the signal is weaker, or has any partial line of sight issues it would be impacted greater than the Trav'ler.
Thank you,

Good morning,
How does that compare with the Traveler for picking up weak signal and tracking?
thanx,

We manufacture one system for use while in-motion. The RoadTrip T4.

Their web site cites the Trav'ler as stationary and only two other items as autotracking: Road Trip T4 and Durastat D4.
MOTHER SHIP Winnebago View 24H (2007 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Chassis, 2008 Body)3.0 L M-B Diesel V6 bought used with 24K miles. Toad: ROCKY the Flying Squirrel.

Gonzo42
Explorer
Explorer
Good info, Bill. Thanx.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Gonzo42 wrote:
I do appreciate your input. Buying is some time away as of now.

I assume the installation is about the same amount of work and cost.

Is there any data available regarding sensitivity of either unit? I see no specs on the W website. As an Electronic Engineer, I pay attention to specs.

Also you say the poweer up is several minutes (OK) any idea for the setup time on a dome unit? Minor issue.

If you go with an in motion dome it is always setup. It puts itself to sleep after you stop for more than a few minutes and wakes back up when you move. A stationary only dome takes 3-4 minutes to get itself set.
Installation of a Trav'ler takes more time (maybe an extra 30-60 minutes.
As to sensitivity. Imagine an antenna that is about 12" round compared to an antenna that is 18"x24" and you will understand the difference between a dome and a Trav'ler. Additionally, when it rains or there is dew on the dome, the reception of the antenna inside the dome will be greatly reduced. An open face antenna has no such limitation.

Ozlander
Explorer
Explorer
Won't hurt the babies to not have a cell for a day or two.
Ozlander

06 Yukon XL
2001 Trail-Lite 7253

Gonzo42
Explorer
Explorer
I do appreciate your input. Buying is some time away as of now.

I assume the installation is about the same amount of work and cost.

Is there any data available regarding sensitivity of either unit? I see no specs on the W website. As an Electronic Engineer, I pay attention to specs.

Also you say the poweer up is several minutes (OK) any idea for the setup time on a dome unit? Minor issue.

For instance if I saw a sensitivity spec of something like -120 dBm, I would jump on it like a duck on a June Bug.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Time consuming to clean? A good rain takes care of that. I haven't cleaned my Trav'ler in last 4-5 years....as in ever! There is zero vulnerability compared to a dome to tree branches (the dome sits higher than a stowed Trav'ler) but if the antenna is up and the wind is blowing above about 50 MPH I do stow the Trav'ler. It sounds like you don't want a Trav'ler and are making up excuses. That's not necessary. If you don't want one, just don't buy one. Lot's of folks think an in-motion dome is too cool for school. If you are in that corner then that's the right choice for you.

Gonzo42
Explorer
Explorer
Another reason that tempts me is that the folding types look vulnerable to wind and tree branches, wires, and other obstructions.

They also look like time consuming to clean while the dome style looks like less of either problem.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes, it will track while underway. That's why it costs so much. However, you will lose the signal if tress, poles, bridges, tunnels block the line to the satellite. If that's what you want, go for it. Just most users find the novelty wears off really, really quickly.

Gonzo42
Explorer
Explorer
I was led to believe this unit will track while under way. If not this unit, which unit will track?

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Install a Trav'ler and a DVR. Record shows good for the Grandkids and let them watch that when you choose and have them enjoy the scenery when you are in those areas (the Interstates are mostly boring!).
The Trav'ler does not work will in motion, but a DVR works great and you get to watch programming you (and the Grandkids) like when you want to watch it and not only when it's being broadcast.
The Trav'ler is full automatic. Once parked you push one button and 5-8 minutes later you are watching (and recording) full HD from either DISH or DirecTV.

Gonzo42
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, the Trav'ler is a good unit, but it requires setup/search when deploying, yes?

I'm considering grandchildren while under way. Of course I would prefer they see the scenery, but there is the cel phone addiction problem.