Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Technology Corner: Cost of installation for antenna
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Cost of installation for antenna

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Gonzo42

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/05/19 09:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Has anyone had a Roadtrip T4 satellite antenna installed on their roof and what did it cost in money and time?

MOTHER SHIP Winnebago View 24H (2007 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Chassis, 2008 Body)3.0 L M-B Diesel V6 bought used with 24K miles. Toad: ROCKY the Flying Squirrel.

Bill.Satellite

Full-timer

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/06/19 05:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Very few folks with in-motion antennas use them as much as they thought they would. Many end up not using them in motion at all at a year or so goes by. However, if you want to pay all that extra money you can plan on about $1400 for the antenna and $400 for installation from a private satellite TV installer. You can watch Camping World (if you don't mind Camping World) for installation specials as they will often do an install for less than $100 (as low as $39 or $49) if you can catch one of them.
For about the same money you could have a Trav'ler! (Yes, it will fit).

What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Gonzo42

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/06/19 10:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes, the Trav'ler is a good unit, but it requires setup/search when deploying, yes?

I'm considering grandchildren while under way. Of course I would prefer they see the scenery, but there is the cel phone addiction problem.

Bill.Satellite

Full-timer

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/07/19 05:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Install a Trav'ler and a DVR. Record shows good for the Grandkids and let them watch that when you choose and have them enjoy the scenery when you are in those areas (the Interstates are mostly boring!).
The Trav'ler does not work will in motion, but a DVR works great and you get to watch programming you (and the Grandkids) like when you want to watch it and not only when it's being broadcast.
The Trav'ler is full automatic. Once parked you push one button and 5-8 minutes later you are watching (and recording) full HD from either DISH or DirecTV.

Gonzo42

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/07/19 09:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was led to believe this unit will track while under way. If not this unit, which unit will track?

Bill.Satellite

Full-timer

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/07/19 04:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes, it will track while underway. That's why it costs so much. However, you will lose the signal if tress, poles, bridges, tunnels block the line to the satellite. If that's what you want, go for it. Just most users find the novelty wears off really, really quickly.

Gonzo42

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/08/19 07:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Another reason that tempts me is that the folding types look vulnerable to wind and tree branches, wires, and other obstructions.

They also look like time consuming to clean while the dome style looks like less of either problem.

Bill.Satellite

Full-timer

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/09/19 05:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Time consuming to clean? A good rain takes care of that. I haven't cleaned my Trav'ler in last 4-5 years....as in ever! There is zero vulnerability compared to a dome to tree branches (the dome sits higher than a stowed Trav'ler) but if the antenna is up and the wind is blowing above about 50 MPH I do stow the Trav'ler. It sounds like you don't want a Trav'ler and are making up excuses. That's not necessary. If you don't want one, just don't buy one. Lot's of folks think an in-motion dome is too cool for school. If you are in that corner then that's the right choice for you.

Gonzo42

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/10/19 08:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I do appreciate your input. Buying is some time away as of now.

I assume the installation is about the same amount of work and cost.

Is there any data available regarding sensitivity of either unit? I see no specs on the W website. As an Electronic Engineer, I pay attention to specs.

Also you say the poweer up is several minutes (OK) any idea for the setup time on a dome unit? Minor issue.

For instance if I saw a sensitivity spec of something like -120 dBm, I would jump on it like a duck on a June Bug.

* This post was edited 10/10/19 07:30pm by Gonzo42 *

Ozlander

Rose Hill, Kansas

View Profile

Posted: 10/10/19 09:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Won't hurt the babies to not have a cell for a day or two.

Ozlander

06 Yukon XL
2001 Trail-Lite 7253

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Cost of installation for antenna
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS