Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Technology Corner: Cost of installation for antenna
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Cost of installation for antenna

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Bill.Satellite

Full-timer

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/10/19 01:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gonzo42 wrote:

I do appreciate your input. Buying is some time away as of now.

I assume the installation is about the same amount of work and cost.

Is there any data available regarding sensitivity of either unit? I see no specs on the W website. As an Electronic Engineer, I pay attention to specs.

Also you say the poweer up is several minutes (OK) any idea for the setup time on a dome unit? Minor issue.

If you go with an in motion dome it is always setup. It puts itself to sleep after you stop for more than a few minutes and wakes back up when you move. A stationary only dome takes 3-4 minutes to get itself set.
Installation of a Trav'ler takes more time (maybe an extra 30-60 minutes.
As to sensitivity. Imagine an antenna that is about 12" round compared to an antenna that is 18"x24" and you will understand the difference between a dome and a Trav'ler. Additionally, when it rains or there is dew on the dome, the reception of the antenna inside the dome will be greatly reduced. An open face antenna has no such limitation.

What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Gonzo42

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/11/19 08:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good info, Bill. Thanx.

MOTHER SHIP Winnebago View 24H (2007 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Chassis, 2008 Body)3.0 L M-B Diesel V6 bought used with 24K miles. Toad: ROCKY the Flying Squirrel.

Gonzo42

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/15/19 07:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is an exchange I had with a Weingard rep. My first question was which antennae were capable of tracking while under way and which was the most sensitive to weak signals:

The RoadTrip has a smaller reflector than the the Trav'ler so if the signal is weaker, or has any partial line of sight issues it would be impacted greater than the Trav'ler.
Thank you,

Good morning,
How does that compare with the Traveler for picking up weak signal and tracking?
thanx,

We manufacture one system for use while in-motion. The RoadTrip T4.

Their web site cites the Trav'ler as stationary and only two other items as autotracking: Road Trip T4 and Durastat D4.

Bill.Satellite

Full-timer

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/16/19 05:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The T4 is the only Winegard antenna that tracks the satellites while the RV is driving (in-motion). The Trav'ler and the other domes (stationary only) are also auto pointing just not auto tracking as tracking is not necessary once parked.
The D4 is for truckers.

ghooos

yeaop

View Profile

Posted: 10/22/19 12:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm considering grandchildren while under way. Of course I would prefer they see the scenery, but there is the cel phone addiction problem.

Bill.Satellite

Full-timer

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/22/19 05:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cell phones and TV antennas have nothing at all to do with each other.
You don't need TV at all if they won't lift their heads from their cell phones.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Cost of installation for antenna
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS