Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Complete newbie needs help
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Complete newbie needs help

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Cornstalk

Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 10/07/19 04:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

67avion wrote:

Hey Cornstalk are you near my town of Carbondale, Illinois ? If so I'll be happy to run you through the camper from front to back. You'll be chomping at the bit to hit the road when I get through ;-). Believe me its easier than you imagine.

I moved to Peoria from south of Carbondale three years ago. I hope to be back there in a month for the first time since I left. I graduated from SIU, btw... in '83.

I will take you up on your offer! Thanks a million. I'll PM you.

Cornstalk

Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 10/07/19 05:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[IMG]https://i.imgur.com/qRn4gvgl.jpg "border=0"" border="0" alt="[image]"> [image]Click For Full-Size Image. border="0" alt="[image]">

[IMG]https://i.imgur.com/nyZZnEtl.png "border=0"" border="0" alt="[image]"> [image]Click For Full-Size Image. border="0" alt="[image]">

[image]
[image]Click For Full-Size Image.

[IMG]https://i.imgur.com/0PcHAFEl.jpg "border=0""[/IMG] Click For Full-Size Image.[/img]

============

Can't find an option to delete this mess[emoticon] I was trying to post pics of my truck and camper info to figure out if I can use Brophy stake pocket tie downs. Can't really afford happijak, nor torklift, right now.

GoinThisAway

middle TN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/07/19 06:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Let's see if this works to show your images:

[image]

[image]

[image]

Ah, I see it worked. In the third photo, the black appliance in the lower left looks like the power converter and fuse panel. This device is what takes the power coming into the camper when it's plugged in and uses it to charge the battery and power the house style outlets in the camper (which won't work unless it's plugged in). The white device in the middle is either a propane dectector, a carbon monoxide detector, or a combination propane and carbon monoxide detector.

Whatever you use to tie it down, get a rubber mat to put in the bed under the camper to help keep it from sliding around. Hopefully you don't have one of those plastic bed liners as they're slick and make it harder to get the camper to stay put. 67avion will do an excellent job of familiarizing you with the systems on your camper.

* This post was last edited 10/07/19 06:55pm by GoinThisAway *   View edit history

2008 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4
2008 Bigfoot 25C10.4
Torklift/Fastguns/Hellwig/StableLoads

Cornstalk

Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 10/07/19 06:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you, GoinThisAway[emoticon]

I bought a thick rubber mat at Farm & Fleet before picking up the camper. It probably saved lives, since my ratchet straps kept breaking. I forgot to leave my truck gate at home, so the straps kept getting cut by the gate. Twice.

Since I've been home (about a month), the rear strap got cut again. Not a small cut... cut completely. I need to ask one of my sons to come help me remove the gate.

Cornstalk

Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 10/07/19 06:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GoinThisAway wrote:

In the third photo, the black appliance in the lower left looks like the power converter and fuse panel. This device is what takes the power coming into the camper when it's plugged in and uses it to charge the battery and power the house style outlets in the camper (which won't work unless it's plugged in). The white device in the middle is either a propane dectector, a carbon monoxide detector, or a combination propane and carbon monoxide detector.

Yeah, I looked up the name last night. It's a Centurion 3000 power converter. One problem I'm having is the plywood is screwed down in this TC. I thought I could lift up the box lid/step to the bed and the tops to the dinette benches, but everything is screwed down. So, I couldn't find the battery nor the water tank. I know... unscrew the wood and see what is behind it. I'll do that tomorrow.

There is an electrical cord coming out of my camper near the front. Is that what has to be connected to my truck? Does it have anything to do with the big outlet in my truck bed? The previous owner had a 5th wheel or gooseneck for farming.

Cornstalk

Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 10/07/19 06:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[IMG]https://i.imgur.com/JZ0soZkl.jpg "border=0"" border="0" alt="[image]"> [image]Click For Full-Size Image[/img]

I just can't post pics=/

That is my truck and TC in Minnesota, on my way back from buying it.

Ps. Just saw your edit. I'll try to follow your photo instructions.

* This post was edited 10/07/19 07:04pm by Cornstalk *

GoinThisAway

middle TN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/07/19 07:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

There is an electrical cord coming out of my camper near the front. Is that what has to be connected to my truck? Does it have anything to do with the big outlet in my truck bed? The previous owner had a 5th wheel or gooseneck for farming.

The cord you refer to is most likely the umbilical cord that connects the truck to the camper. If it is long enough you can run it to the back of the truck and plug it into the round 7 blade outlet there. If not, you'll either need to install an outlet at the front of the truck or get another cable you can use as an extension. This will provide power to any signal or running lights on the camper while you're driving. It will also allow the truck to charge the camper battery when you are underway.

What you need to do to post your photos is use the "Reply to Topic" button which takes you to a screen with a box you can type your text into. Unlike the reply box at the bottom of the thread, this one also has a row of buttons at the top. At the point you want to insert your photo, click the "image" button, fifth one from the right which looks like a mountain in a box. A box will come up into which you paste the photo link. You can also set the size of the photo to make sure you stay within the limit allowed.

Glad to have another lady hanging out on here [emoticon] If you make it as far as middle TN send me a PM.

Here's your photo:
[image]

Cornstalk

Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 10/07/19 07:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Plug it in here?

[image]

Oh for goodness sakes. I followed your instructions, lol.

Trying to fix it.

GoinThisAway

middle TN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/07/19 07:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So that's it. Nice. It's a hard side, not a popup. The rear jack on this side looks like it has been cut off for some reason. That'll make it interesting to load and unload.

Just saw the new photo. Congratulations on passing RV.NET Photo Posting 101! Yes, that looks like it. Look at the free end of the cord and see if it doesn't match up.

Cornstalk

Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 10/07/19 07:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GoinThisAway wrote:

So that's it. Nice. It's a hard side, not a popup. The rear jack on this side looks like it has been cut off for some reason. That'll make it interesting to load and unload.

The seller gave me the piece that goes to that jack, but he said it is too long and must be cut. I have a pic of it and a pic of something else he gave me to use for the rear tie downs. I'll try to post the pics.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Complete newbie needs help
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.