Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Complete newbie needs help
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Complete newbie needs help

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Cornstalk

Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 10/07/19 07:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

He gave me that bar that goes into a receiver hitch. There are eye hooks at each end to attach the tie downs to. Before I left for Minnesota he asked me if I had a receiver hitch and I said yes. I thought since I had a ball hitch I had a receiver hitch. Now I know what they are. That is why I had to use ratchet straps coming home.

Also, as I was pulling out of his pole barn, the camper made a loud screeching noise constantly. Found out the bed area was sitting on the lights on top of my cab. So I slept at Walmart and the next day went to a lumber yard for plywood to lift my TC off my lights.

[image]

The other pic is of the cubby in my camper that goes to my truck bed. I'll go see what that cord is.

[image]

GoinThisAway

middle TN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/07/19 07:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You're already accumulating some truck camper stories ... ha! ha! The OSB board will work but its heavy and will suck up water. You might be able to build up the bottom of the camper as some have done on here. Another option is closed cell foam board like the blue foam sheet at Lowes. It has the advantage of being light and even adds insulation to the bottom. Put it under the rubber mat though to keep the camper from tearing it up if it does slide. I've used one under my 3000+ lb camper for years now.

Cornstalk

Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 10/07/19 08:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GoinThisAway wrote:

You're already accumulating some truck camper stories ... ha! ha! The OSB board will work but its heavy and will suck up water. You might be able to build up the bottom of the camper as some have done on here. Another option is closed cell foam board like the blue foam sheet at Lowes. It has the advantage of being light and even adds insulation to the bottom. Put it under the rubber mat though to keep the camper from tearing it up if it does slide. I've used one under my 3000+ lb camper for years now.

Yeah, too many stories for the short time I've had a TC. I already forgot to leave my gate at home, forgot to close one vent during a downpour overnight, left a full cup of sticky cappuccino on a counter and it rolled all over inside while driving. And a ratchet strap dented my truck when I drove over a speed bump. I swear it was unmarked[emoticon]

I didn't put the boards under my camper. The lumber yard said I couldn't put them under my TC on their property, so they brought the boards to the street. After crying for a bit, I paid two good Samaritans who were walking by $60 to do it for me. They were wonderful people. Then I paid someone else to adjust my ratchet straps halfway home, as I cried (again) in the 20th Casey's I stopped at.

Someone in Minnesota (can't remember who) told me those boards will outlast my truck camper. Maybe that was a commentary on my TC[emoticon]

I like the OSB for now, because the men who put it there ran home for tools and screwed the sheets together. The screws popped through the OSB and were facing up, so I think my TC is now screwed to the OSB[emoticon] I was at their mercy and didn't question it.

Edit: also learned what ppl mean by porpoising. It was horrible, but I guess I was driving into the wind the first day. It stopped doing it the second day.

ajriding

st clair

View Profile

Posted: 10/08/19 05:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wet OSB will work for years, it will take a while for it to rot away.
Leave that project for years from now.

Your rear tie-down system is fine. Not as good as the frame mounted one, but it will suffice.
Depending on the weight of the camper maybe you could get the super cheap tiedown mounts that slip into the rail holes on the truck bed rail. Few will recommend these, and it is the most likely to damage your truck bed, but is cheap at about $60 for some used ones or around hundred n change for new.

Torklift mounts are very good, but will run you $300-400 bucks for just the front pair, and requires some tool ability to install depending on the particular truck in question.

The tie down chains should be at an angle and oppose each other from front to rear such that one pulls the camper forward and the other pulls it backwards. This keeps it centered front/back .

The tiedown chains just get tightened hand tight to where the chains are snug. Pluck them like a guitar string and they will make a "boing" sound just barely. Not tight, too tight and bumps on the road can damage the truck or camper. Don't tighten one side too tight then have no room to properly tighten the other side equally.
*Though, the way your rear system is set up you may want to tighten it more as i suspect that the long square tube from the trailer hitch will have a lot of spring in it and be very bendy under load, so that bending will protect the camper tie-down mounting point, so possibly tighten the rear more than the front. Test it how much it will bend and use judgement.

If that guy is going to help in person then you really do't need more attention here…

Cornstalk

Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 10/09/19 08:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ajriding wrote:

Wet OSB will work for years, it will take a while for it to rot away.
Leave that project for years from now.

Your rear tie-down system is fine. Not as good as the frame mounted one, but it will suffice.

Thank you[emoticon] The local RV dealer quoted $800 to have the Happijak system installed. Torklift would be double that.

I might see about having a dealer install Happijak on the front and getting a receiver hitch installed for the back. Then I can use that bar the TC seller gave me. He also gave me turnbuckles, but they are not spring loaded. I guess they'd be fine for the rear, since that bar will have "give" (like you said).

I'll work on getting to Carbondale where help awaits. Even if it means one more trip using ratchet straps. Thanks so much.

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 10/09/19 08:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Find a different shop.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Hankook DH-01 225/19.5 Fs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

Cornstalk

Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 10/09/19 08:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jimh425 wrote:

Find a different shop.

I'll call around. I've tried looking on craigslist for used Torklift, but it is very hard to find them made for my truck (1995 F250). Most are for newer trucks.

Which are easier to install? Happijak or Torklift? My son-in-law could install them, if I could find used ones.

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 10/09/19 09:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I installed my Torklifts in a couple of hours.

Cornstalk

Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 10/09/19 10:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jimh425 wrote:

I installed my Torklifts in a couple of hours.

Wow. I'll keep searching for used Torklifts. Thx.

ajriding

st clair

View Profile

Posted: 10/09/19 05:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cornstalk wrote:

ajriding wrote:

I might see about having a dealer install Happijak on the front and getting a receiver hitch installed for the back. Then I can use that bar the TC seller gave me. He also gave me turnbuckles, but they are not spring loaded. I guess they'd be fine for the rear, since that bar will have "give" (like you said).
.…

If your rear long-bar set-up is as flexy as I think it will be, then you probably do not need any sort of spring. The square tube will literally be the spring, and much more of a spring than any tie-down spring on the market.

When I drove home my TC I rigged up a very similar bar, but it was Unistrut, which is 3-sided square tubing, not a full 4-sided tube like you have. The Unistrut is more flexy than what you have because of the missing side, but even knowing that it did flex quite a bit more than I wanted it to.
Not knowing the specifics of the steel used I can't say what yours will do, but let us hope it can work as the spring.

You should get the receiver hitch. Go ahead and get a Class 5 (class V) hitch, its only a few bucks more but will be the last one you ever need to buy.

U-haul seems to be the best economy for having them installed, as they are willing to do work cheap knowing you are equipped to rent their trailers after.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Complete newbie needs help
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.