Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Toy Haulers: Generator dies after load
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Toy Haulers

Open Roads Forum  >  Toy Haulers  >  Toy Haulers

 > Generator dies after load

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Stootz01

california

New Member

Joined: 10/05/2019

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 10/05/19 10:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Been searching for fixes for this for months and the forums that post ideas always die without a fix so here we go.
I have a Onan 4K generator that started out dying after 10 min no matter what.
I installed a new fuel pump/filter and carb, oil change, no fix.
I took the air filter out while it was running to inspect it and noticed it would keep running but when the AC was on it would die...so I changed the air filter...no change under load but it would keep running without a load.
I then took the metal air filter cover and left filter on....would run under load but would then die after 10 min.
I then discovered there was an additional after market fuel filter on it under the RV so I bypassed it, changed the spark plug while I was at it and discovered that it would run for 30 min under load before it died.
I then discovered a youtube video of someone claiming that draining oil below the low level line would keep it going. Comments suggest that was a mirical worker and it seemed to fix the problem for a lot of people.....but not mine....
I'm getting closer to nailing this down but I'm out of ideas

Give me suggestions....I'll do it man!!!!
Gen has 216 hrs on it

allcool

sFL_Glamis_PHX

Senior Member

Joined: 10/22/2011

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 10/06/19 08:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Stootz01 wrote:

Been searching for fixes for this for months and the forums that post ideas always die without a fix so here we go.
I have a Onan 4K generator that started out dying after 10 min no matter what.
I installed a new fuel pump/filter and carb, oil change, no fix.
I took the air filter out while it was running to inspect it and noticed it would keep running but when the AC was on it would die...so I changed the air filter...no change under load but it would keep running without a load.
I then took the metal air filter cover and left filter on....would run under load but would then die after 10 min.
I then discovered there was an additional after market fuel filter on it under the RV so I bypassed it, changed the spark plug while I was at it and discovered that it would run for 30 min under load before it died.
I then discovered a youtube video of someone claiming that draining oil below the low level line would keep it going. Comments suggest that was a mirical worker and it seemed to fix the problem for a lot of people.....but not mine....
I'm getting closer to nailing this down but I'm out of ideas

Give me suggestions....I'll do it man!!!!
Gen has 216 hrs on it

Have you checked HZ/voltage while running and immediately before unit shuts down..? Very common for a over/under hz safety shut off to occur if governor/engine speed is not set exactly correct. When switching between no load/full load governor struggles to maintain correct rpm to keep hz/voltage in safe/no safety shut down range.

I set 5500 onans for 62-63hz under no load. When genny goes to full load the rpm drops just enough to drop the hz to 59-60. if it goes below 58-56hz for 10 seconds the unit will shut down on low hz safety shut down... Above 66hz will also trigger a safety shut down. The efi models are a little different but similar...

Whatever you do, DO NOT drain oil to below low level line and run unit like that utube vid suggests, unless you like rebuilding engines. 1 of the worst web recommendations I've ever heard...lol.

jmo

* This post was edited 10/06/19 09:31am by allcool *


2007 WW FSW3200
RZRS k&t Turbo
2 LT500
1 Lt500 hybrid
F350 CC 6.7PS Platinum


ksg5000

Oregon

Senior Member

Joined: 06/30/2008

View Profile



Posted: 10/06/19 10:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You might try bypassing the low oil sensor - won't cost anything and it will rule out another possibility. Also -check for pinhole leaks in gas line.


Kevin

lincster

Mesa Az

Senior Member

Joined: 01/27/2003

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 10/07/19 11:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What about the choke?
I had this same issue with mine and replaced the choke. All good.


2019 F350 PSD CC 4X4 Dually to pull 2006 LE3905

Lincsters Truck/Trailer

Lincsters Rail

Dirtclods

Newport Beach

Senior Member

Joined: 02/19/2007

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 10/10/19 09:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As the load comes on your motor, it should idle up. As said above it sounds the choke is cutting it off. Something else to try to see if you have any air leaks while it's running spray some starter fulid around not in, the carb then you'll see if you have any air leaks.

* This post was edited 10/10/19 09:56am by Dirtclods *

joebedford

Finally back home in the north

Senior Member

Joined: 09/03/2003

View Profile



Posted: 10/10/19 10:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dirtclods wrote:

As the load comes on your motor, it should idle up.
What do you mean 'idle up'? It should be at constant RPM. You might hear a change in note but not rpm as the throttle opens.

nayther

Burbank, CA

Senior Member

Joined: 03/21/2005

View Profile



Posted: 10/11/19 11:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

what code does it throw when it shuts down?


DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

Dirtclods

Newport Beach

Senior Member

Joined: 02/19/2007

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 10/24/19 07:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

joebedford wrote:

Dirtclods wrote:

As the load comes on your motor, it should idle up.
What do you mean 'idle up'? It should be at constant RPM. You might hear a change in note but not rpm as the throttle opens.



Idle up or reactive load this type of load may require up to three times as much power (wattage) to START as it does to keep it running. Examples of reactive type loads are air conditioners, microwaves "Etc"

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Toy Haulers  >  Toy Haulers

 > Generator dies after load
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Toy Haulers


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.