cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Emergency roadside assistance

JOERVDREAM
Explorer
Explorer
Progressive says Towing to nearest “Qualified” repair facility. Good Sam says Towing to nearest “Professional” repair facility. I have both. I’m going to drop one just not sure which one. By the way Camping World should tell people that the standard Good Sam roadside service doesn’t cover motor homes. When I called Good Sam I received the free upgrade but I feel like it’s some sort of gimmick.
18 REPLIES 18

olfarmer
Explorer
Explorer
We have Good Sam E R S. We were towed twice on the same trip. They did their best and we were very satisfied with the service!
Ed & Ruby & the 2 cats
2001 Winnebago Brave 30W
7.4 gas Work Horse Chassis
99 Jeep Grand Cherokee

BigRabbitMan
Explorer
Explorer
Bill.Satellite wrote:
DFord wrote:
Bill.Satellite wrote:
I was a big FMCA fan until they turned into a money grubbing duplication of Good Sam. Now it's $75/year? Now I am even happier. I liked the Motorhome only magazine and the cost was only $50/year (often a 5 year discount was available. I was a member for many years with a f192xxx number. Today, they don't do it for me as I have exactly zero interest in any other vehicle than a motorhome.
I remain a LT Good Sam member (that's free!) and have been extremely happy with the GS roadside service. The 2 times I needed to be towed I was towed to the exact location where the manufacturer recommended service be preformed.
You've got a problem. To me, it's not about what you show-up in. It's about having fun. I don't care if you've got tent, pop-up, travel trailer, class A, B, C or converted bus as long as you're good people. Numbers don't lie and the MH market isn't what it used to be. Change or died was the decision FMCA had to make and they made the right one.

The repatriation insurance went way up and membership fees had to go up or drop the coverage. As I said, an individual could not buy a policy with the coverages FMCA Assist offers for anywhere near the cost of membership in FMCA. Add to that, FMCA is the only major non-profit camping club operated for the benefit of it's members. You're lucky to have bought the GS LT membership when you did. Part of the dues in GS pads the pocket of the owner who's only in it for the money. The benefit programs FMCA offers are only there to benefit the membership - not make a profit.

To each his own and I'm glad you're happy. I didn't last long in an FMCA chapter with others that had your beliefs about opening up the membership and I'm happy now too.

I don't have a problem. Just because I am not interested in reading about pop-ups and trailers does not mean I have any kind of distaste for those who own them. I joined Family MOTORCOACH Association because I owned a MOTORCOACH and was interested in topics related to MOTORCOACHES. There's nothing wrong with that. I am also a Good Sam member and already get a magazine related to all types of RV's. I don't need to pay $75/month for a duplicate subscription which only contains limited information on topics I might be interested in.
I am a full timer so the FMCA Assist has no value to me as home is where ever I am located and I really don't need to be sent back to my mail forwarding service address should something happen to me.
Some will certainly find that service an important option but if that's their only real value, they should change their name or become an insurance company.
FMCA has no value TO ME. That is not in any way meant to indicate whether it has any value to anyone else.

Just a fact check for others the FMCA dues are $75 per YEAR and not per month as stated above.
BigRabbitMan
Gas to Diesel Conversion project
76 FMC #1046, Gas Pusher became a Diesel Pusher
Discussion thread on this site
"You're never too old to learn something stupid."

JOERVDREAM
Explorer
Explorer
I think I will just keep them both for now. Progressive is only 40 a year. Im not sure what GS is because I received the "free" upgrade to platinum so we'll see when its due again. Im only bummed about not getting a GS sticker. Spent a good part of my life watching RVs going down the road with those and now when I finally own one I don't get a sticker. Whats up with that?

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
DFord wrote:
Bill.Satellite wrote:
I was a big FMCA fan until they turned into a money grubbing duplication of Good Sam. Now it's $75/year? Now I am even happier. I liked the Motorhome only magazine and the cost was only $50/year (often a 5 year discount was available. I was a member for many years with a f192xxx number. Today, they don't do it for me as I have exactly zero interest in any other vehicle than a motorhome.
I remain a LT Good Sam member (that's free!) and have been extremely happy with the GS roadside service. The 2 times I needed to be towed I was towed to the exact location where the manufacturer recommended service be preformed.
You've got a problem. To me, it's not about what you show-up in. It's about having fun. I don't care if you've got tent, pop-up, travel trailer, class A, B, C or converted bus as long as you're good people. Numbers don't lie and the MH market isn't what it used to be. Change or died was the decision FMCA had to make and they made the right one.

The repatriation insurance went way up and membership fees had to go up or drop the coverage. As I said, an individual could not buy a policy with the coverages FMCA Assist offers for anywhere near the cost of membership in FMCA. Add to that, FMCA is the only major non-profit camping club operated for the benefit of it's members. You're lucky to have bought the GS LT membership when you did. Part of the dues in GS pads the pocket of the owner who's only in it for the money. The benefit programs FMCA offers are only there to benefit the membership - not make a profit.

To each his own and I'm glad you're happy. I didn't last long in an FMCA chapter with others that had your beliefs about opening up the membership and I'm happy now too.

I don't have a problem. Just because I am not interested in reading about pop-ups and trailers does not mean I have any kind of distaste for those who own them. I joined Family MOTORCOACH Association because I owned a MOTORCOACH and was interested in topics related to MOTORCOACHES. There's nothing wrong with that. I am also a Good Sam member and already get a magazine related to all types of RV's. I don't need to pay $75/month for a duplicate subscription which only contains limited information on topics I might be interested in.
I am a full timer so the FMCA Assist has no value to me as home is where ever I am located and I really don't need to be sent back to my mail forwarding service address should something happen to me.
Some will certainly find that service an important option but if that's their only real value, they should change their name or become an insurance company.
FMCA has no value TO ME. That is not in any way meant to indicate whether it has any value to anyone else.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

77rollalong
Explorer
Explorer
The company I work for we do a lot of road side calls, and on of out biggest problems we are now facing is some of the fifth wheels/ travel trailers we cannot put on a flat deck due to the height, and even putting on a low boy they wont clear bridges.. This has become a big problem when you get broken springs and or axles. We have had to come up with a few creative ways to get some off to a service center.

MrWizard
I have progressive insurance and road service
I also have AAA
And Good Sam emg roadside assistance

Progressive did two tows of our Safari, back to back in 2012, Saturday to an RV dealer
Who could not do the repair when they opened on Monday
Then on Tuesday into Flagstaff on a flat bed trailer tow, to AZ Diesel, who did rebuilt the engine

I have used all three of my services at different times

Very pleased with progressive emg service

I think really depends on who is the tow contractor where you happen to break down

Rather than the brand name of the service seller
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

DFord
Explorer
Explorer
Bill.Satellite wrote:

Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
We have used Coachnet for years...however the new Coachnet WOULD NOT SEND ANYONE ON Labor while we were stuck in a Res area unable to move. They said 8:00 the next the next day they would call someone!! Good Sams, roadside assistance number said our office is closed for the Holiday! I have read others here say we called the wrong number, and thought maybe we had but wife asured ,e it was the number on the card. Happened many years ago too, when we had our fifth wheel tire blown, on a Sunday. Got a call from the provider and said it was too far and Good Sams wouldn't pay much. Called Good Sams again they said they could not find anyone to come.
That was 200 or 2004.
Since thattimewe had good luck with both, which somehow we have.
Coachnet wwill only tow within 200 miles to nearest provider now too.
In 2009 perhaps the old CoachNet sent someone from Rogers Arkansas in the middle of the night 125 miles away to get our towed started and unhooked so we could park the coach, at a campground on a lake, where raccoons came up to the coach, and we heard a cat that night.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

DFord
Explorer
Explorer
I'm with FMCA's Saferoad program. Membership in FMCA gets me repatriation insurance (FMCA Assist) in case I can't drive our motorhome back home and also covers getting those with me back home as well as any pets. Even if I'm in my RV, it covers getting me (or my remains) back home anywhere in the world. You couldn't buy a policy like that for what it costs for membership in FMCA. FMCA Assist Information

FMCA membership is now $75/year and the Roadside Assistance is another $74 which includes concierge services and technical support. I'm told Coach Net was sold to an investment firm and many of the employees formed the Saferoads company. There's comparison chart on this page FMCA Roadside Rescue

I may be a LT member of GS but I'll never let my membership in FMCA lapse till we're done RVing. It's the only major RV club that's a non-profit operated for the benefit it the membership.
Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
Teacher's Pet wrote:
Coach Net been great for us for 15 years.

Another Coach Net, been 5 years and one major tow. TV broken down towing the 35ft 5W. Two trucks from Mancos CO to Cortez CO but the hitch was they had to come from Durango as it was the closest town that had trucks to handle the two units, all they asked for was a signature. I asked what the cost would have been and was told $900+. Add that to a couple tire changes, one on a week old tire with a bolt in it. :M Now search Good Sam Roadside ....... no comparison.
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
I have Coach Net and have used it just recently to tow a vehicle to a local shop. Service was quick and there was no question as to where I wanted it towed. Several years ago I used them to unlock my truck after someone (guees who) locked the keys inside.

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Teacher's Pet wrote:

Like any insurance, it is easy to like a company until you have a problem.

So, the operative question is how many times have you used their service and what as your experience?

Not being negative, but want to make sure how to read anyone's post on insurance.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

Teacher_s_Pet
Explorer
Explorer
'06 Phaeton 40' QSH
'14 Ford Flex SEL AWD Toad
'04 R-Vision Trail-Lite 213
Scottiemom's Pet or husband to Dale
RV.net Rallies 13, Other Rallies 21, Escapades 7
Fulltimers since 2005, Where are we?
Our Travel Blog