cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Bluewater Key RV questions

AikenRacer
Explorer
Explorer
We may be trying another Key West trip. Our first did not turn out too well but we learned a lot. This time we will stay at Bluewater Key. Couple of questions:
1) Is it safe to snorkel off the docks at the resort?
2) Is it safe to kayak off the docks at the resort?
3) What's the best places to eat around the resort?
Any comments on this resort welcome.
2012 Tuscany 42RQ tag
2005 Silverado 2500 w/ piggy back golf cart
10 REPLIES 10

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
enblethen wrote:
When we were there the canal was very hard to access. The tree knees were hard to get around.
The gulf side was much easier!

We've always had sites with a dock and we just slide off the dock into the water. No issues.
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
When we were there the canal was very hard to access. The tree knees were hard to get around.
The gulf side was much easier!

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
enblethen wrote:
The canal side, No.
Gulf side yes!
\

Not true-- we go there several times a year and have stayed and snorkeled on both the bayside and canal side. We actually prefer the canal side sites as they are less windy.

Kayaking is great in the area. We do launch right off the dock. There is also a boat ramp in the park. If you go down the canal side and turn right, you'll be in a huge area of mangroves and channels that is very well protected. You'll see plenty of fish.
You can also paddle under US 1 and get to many interesting areas.

For food, we like Square Grouper. It does get crowded and they don't take reservations, but worth the wait.

Mangrove Mama's is a nice laid back place just up the road.

Not far from Blue Water ( 5 miles, we ride there on our bikes) is Geiger Key Marina. Good food and drinks in a waterfront setting. Also there is Bobalu's Cafe, also about 5 miles from Blue Water. I think it's on Thursday that they have home made turkey pot pie. One is enough to feed two people. They do sell out, so get there early if you want one.

In Key West, you'll find all kinds of places.... for happy hours, try the boat house. Drinks are reasonable and the small plate appetizers are 1/2 price . Old Town Mexican Restaurant on Duval is also another good and reasonably priced place.

Any other questions ? Ask, I'll try to help.
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

we have stayed at Blue Water in the past and its is beautiful ! !

Our site had a private dock, we swam and snorkeled directly off the dock. My 2 daughters had a blast, as did mom and dad... Down on the end where we were, there was a channel dug for boats that was about 20-30' wide, one across that, the water was about 24" deep is all...

We also snorkeled at Bahia Honda State park as well as a snorkel trip out to to the reef that was absolutely amazing....
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
azdryheat wrote:
Entering the ocean, one becomes part of the food chain. Pay attention to what's going on around you. Chances are no harm will come to you but if you're that worried about your safety then stay on the beach.

Off hand I don't recall hearing of any shark attacks in the Keys tho one is always possible. I went on shark viewing SCUBA dives and they are a big thing in WPB during shark breeding season. Barracudas are a theoretical danger but I have never seen a report of one.

Just use common sense precautions, don't get in the water at low light periods. Dawn or Dusk. That's when many attacks occur when the critters can't see what they are biting.

The most likely hazard is stepping on a spiny sea urchin which will send you to the ER to have the spines extracted. Or worse stepping a sting ray. There are Man-of-war jellyfish occasionally and out on the reefs you will encounter stinging and biting hazards. Wear diving gloves and never stick your hand down a hole least you have a moray encounter.

But in general there are few likely serious dangers.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
The canal side, No.
Gulf side yes!

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
We stayed there several years ago. Our site had its on dock and I saw no reason you can't do what you want there.
GREAT place.
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
Entering the ocean, one becomes part of the food chain. Pay attention to what's going on around you. Chances are no harm will come to you but if you're that worried about your safety then stay on the beach.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm not familiar with that resort but you should be able to snorkel keeping the following in mind. You are required by Florida law to tow a Diver Down Flag behind you. They are sold in many stores down in the Keys attached to a float. And even so you better keep an eye out for boats which may be driven by idiots who have no idea what that flag means and/or may be drunk. You read in the local papers about drunk boat operators getting themselves killed or killing others all the time down here. I doubt if one in ten of boat owners or renters down here have taken the CG Aux safety classes. The Florida Marine Patrol is offering them too in an effort to cut down the number of stupid accidents on the water.

I cannot imagine why kayaking would be a problem. But wouldn't both be easier from the beach near the piers?
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I've been planning our first trip (hotel) to the keys next spring and the beautiy of the area is just off the chart. I can't help with you questions but I am TOTALLY envious of you being able to take an RV there!
Hope you have a great trip.

Scott