cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

wisconsin dells? or somewhere similar

jabres
Explorer II
Explorer II
Live in Ohio, and looking for somewhere little different this year for summer vacation (end of july for a week).
Been to Michigan the last several years, love it there, just want to take a break.

Is the Wisconsin Dells good for kids? 5 and 2 years old? Seems summer temperatures wouldn't be too hot there, similar to Michigan.
Which is the best campground there for entertainment with kids etc?

Also open to any near other nearby vacation destinations. Looking to stay within 8 hours of Cincinnati, Ohio. Thanks in advance!
10 REPLIES 10

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
As long as you are planning to be there, go south along US-12 about 10 miles and find the Circus Museum in Barabo. If you are there in season, there is a regular 1 - Ring circus in the back and so much to see.

I am not fond of tourist traps like the Dells and Pigeon Forge.

Speaking of, House on the Rock is one. There is a lot to see there, and no labels at all. It is kind of like paying a hoarder to look in his basement. Some neat stuff, but not worth the walk in my estimation. Real museums are much better.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Yes it will get into the 90โ€™s all the way to the WI/UP border.
Plenty of other things to see and do. If you look past the tourist commercialization, itโ€™s a very beautiful area.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

C_B_
Explorer
Explorer
Just north of the hustle & bustle of Wis Dells is

holiday-shores.com

Nice family owned campground.

Like sites 74 thru 77.

Close to playground &pool.

C.B.
CBVP2004~FORD~F350~CC~LARIAT~SRW~SB~4X4~6.0D~
AUTO~PULLRITE 16K SUPERGLIDE~DEMCO GLIDERIDE~
PRODIGY CONTROLLER~C-BETR MIRRORS~EMS-HW50C~

Butch/Barb=2013-Cedar Creek 36CKTS
Kris/Katy=2006-Cherokee 32B

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
jabres wrote:
thanks for all the replies! Also the info on santa clause indiana!

Any more info on the Dells keep it coming. I am suprised it would be in the 90's there with high humidity! I would think that would be far enough north for decent summer weather.

We get it all here. June is usually the really nice month, much more mild.
Chuck D.
โ€œAdventure is just bad planning.โ€ - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

jabres
Explorer II
Explorer II
thanks for all the replies! Also the info on santa clause indiana!

Any more info on the Dells keep it coming. I am suprised it would be in the 90's there with high humidity! I would think that would be far enough north for decent summer weather.

smarty
Explorer
Explorer
The Dells is awesome, very busy though, you will need to make reservations early.
We always stayed at Devils Lake State Park
Noahs Ark Waterpark is a must, your kids will absolutely lov it!

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Santa Clause, Indiana. Holiday World and Splashin' Safari is there. Spend 2 days at the theme park. Spend one full day at the campground: Camp Rudolph RV resort. Camp Rudolph is great for kids! It has it's own theme park within the campground, does cost to get into it and not as big scale as the main theme park. Shuttles run all do from the campground to the main theme park.

Not much else there in Santa Clause, Indiana. (really). But the campground is enough to keep little one's busy for quite a while. Considering your kids are still very little, the campground anamaties will be enough to keep them busy. They are just to little to appreciate upside down museums and sit for 2 or 3 hours on a pontoon boat looking at rocks along the water, or watching a man or a dog jump from one rock to another. Or going on carnival rides that cost a fortune and are designed all for adults.

Holiday World and Splashin' Safari, Camp Rudolph are designed for younger kids.

I highly recommend going there, and 3-4 days is sufficient. Then move to a new campground. Lincoln State Park is right there near Santa Clause Indiana. You could move the camper in an hour easy and enjoy the benefits of the State Park walking trails and such.

FYI, You go to Camp Roudolph, you'll need to make reservations about a year ahead though.

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
and the next year go to nearby Cedar Point and the year after that rent a houseboat on Land Between the Lakes in KY.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
For kids? Yes, the Dells is the place to go. In July and August it can be really hot in central Wisconsin. Not uncommon to be in the 90s and crazy humid. The good part is that there are lots of water parks there. The bad part it that it's insanely crowded. It's a mini version of Pigeon Forge.

If you want a little more rustic camping with a less crowded feel, try Devil's Lake State Park, Mirror Lake State Park, or Rocky Arbor State Park. Devil's lake is about 20 minutes south of the Dells but has a beautiful lake and excellent hiking along the bluffs over the lake.
Chuck D.
โ€œAdventure is just bad planning.โ€ - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
The Dells are perfect for kids. Just choose and spend wisely! Itโ€™s a great destination. I would recommend Stand Rock Campground close to the downtown area, but located out in the woods. The Jellystone is nice Iโ€™ve been going there since I was a kid in the 70โ€™s, but faster traffic on the interstate seems to have made it louder along the interstate sites, a site farther from the interstate may be quieter!

For your age kids
The Original Ducks boat tour
Noahโ€™s Ark water Park
Just about any mini golf place is good
Upper dells boat tour
Lower dells jet boats, not sure about your 2 year old!

I would order a Wis Dells tour guide. It will give you everyplace in the area for things to do and see and places to eat and stay. As well as maps of the area.

I love the area even though itโ€™s very touristy. We only hit 2 things when we used to go. My kids are 17 and 18 now so we are done for a while.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!