cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Upholstery needs to be redone

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
My bonded leather couch has become un-bonded and looks a mess. It is a special design incorporating storage and is 11 feet long so replacing it with store-bought furniture isn't an option. When having a piece of furniture redone, do you use a standard re-upholstery shop? Do they have the skills to remove the piece from the trailer, or is that something I will have to do and transport. I'm looking to see what others have done as this has to be a popular problem.
16 REPLIES 16

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
We had our captain's chairs reupholstered by a woman who does work for Mastercraft Furniture in Shipshewana. They make furniture for RV's and they handle ordering the fabric and scheduling the job. We did, however, have to remove the seats and take them to the Mastercraft store and picked them up with they were done about a week later. They explained that the original fabric is cheap and what the manufacturerers put in the coaches, so we ordered a much better quality fabric. It wasn't cheap, but still about half the price of buying two new chairs. She did a very nice job on them and we are really happy with the result.

Dale
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/

rasmus78
Explorer
Explorer
I have same problem with my Upholstery. It gets assaulted daily by skin oils, hair, dust, food crumbs, and spills.Even my chairs and sofas are starting to look worse. I am thinking to order this steam cleaner (https://steamcleanerhelp.com/best-steam-cleaner-furniture-upholstery/) to clean the Upholstery, sofa, and couch. What do you think?

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
Any decent upholstery shop can do the job. It will save you money if you take it out and bring them the pieces. Much less than buying new and you will know what you are getting.
B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

jheppner
Explorer
Explorer
We also have a 2015 Ventana LE with a passenger seat that started peeling. We contacted our dealership who contacted Newmar. They replaced the driver and passenger seat for free because they said in 2015 they had had some faulty upholstery. We were very pleased with this outcome.

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
HydroGeo wrote:
Glad get some ideas about reupholstering, but we are pretty ticked off that the Flex Steel recliner in our 2015 Newmarket Ventana LE is shedding itโ€™s skin after only 4 years of limited use. The sofa and captainโ€™s chairs are made of a different material and arenโ€™t wearing out, but the recliner is a mess. What a disappointment!

On newer units like yours some manufacturers are offering good will assistance in dealing with this issue. Talk to your dealer.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

HydroGeo
Explorer
Explorer
Glad get some ideas about reupholstering, but we are pretty ticked off that the Flex Steel recliner in our 2015 Newmarket Ventana LE is shedding itโ€™s skin after only 4 years of limited use. The sofa and captainโ€™s chairs are made of a different material and arenโ€™t wearing out, but the recliner is a mess. What a disappointment!
2015 Newmar Ventana LE 3849, 4 slides
2010 Ford Escape hybrid, Blue Ox Partiot brake
Larry & Trudy, 1 dog, 2 bikes, 2 kayaks

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
Roy&Lynne wrote:
If NW means Northwest and your around Tacoma we have a local upholsterer who only does vehicles.

Yes, north of Portland. I would like their name if you don't mind. I went by an auto shop that advertised upholstery services. Their upholstery section was in the same room as the oil change bay; quite the mess.

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer
If NW means Northwest and your around Tacoma we have a local upholsterer who only does vehicles.

willald
Explorer II
Explorer II
The sofa, recliner, and both captain's chairs in our Motorhome started peeling and looked awful after just a few years. Manufacturer used cheap material that didn't last worth a flip.

I opted to have all of them re-upholstered by an Auto upholstery shop. This was a fraction of what it would've cost to replace them, and we ended up with what seems like new furniture. They did an awesome job. I think the trick is in finding a good upholstery shop that knows what they are doing.

That was several years ago, and the new upholstery, material is holding up very well. Still looks and feels great.
Will and Cheryl
2021 Newmar Baystar 3014 on F53 (7.3 V8) Chassis ("Brook")
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK ("Wilbur")

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
There's nothing special about RV furniture that would preclude and shop from recovering it.

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
When I had the sofa in my Airstream reupholstered years ago, I just took it out and took the pieces to the shop. They would have to do the same thing anyway.

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
We found the auto upholstery shop about 1/4 the price of a furniture shop and much more willing to work on our couch.

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
It would probably vary on the shop if they could remove the sofa (have room for the RV). Any upholstery shop should be able to redo it.

They do sell RV sofas online that are larger size. I bought a LazyBoy RV sleeper sofa for a RV project I'm doing.

The big question is whether your old sofa is made as one unit and has to be taken apart to get it out the door. LazyBoy the back comes off the sofa to get it through the door.

If I didn't need a sleeper sofa I would have replaced with two comfortable recliners. I took out the uncomfortable jack-knife sofa and dinette and replaced with a LazyBoy sofa and recliner.

blownstang01
Explorer
Explorer
Where are you located? Here in Upstate NY we have a company called Capabilities. They hire and train people with disabilities. Anyway, one of the services they offer is an upholstery shop that does very good work at a cheap price. I believe they are government funded, so their pricing is very reasonable. I've had them do some work on a buddies boat and the craftsmanship was very nice...and it was cheap. Maybe your area has a similar facility. I have no idea if this is a national program or just local.