cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Slideout Mechanism

scarecrow56
Explorer
Explorer
As I look for a new TT I see a few different types of mech. Schwinntech with 2 tracks top and bottom, A cable system and, I believe, the old gear and gear bar under the slide. Any thoughts on which is the good, the bad and the ugly? Thanks
Chillin' in the sun, Palm Bay, Fl.
13 REPLIES 13

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
I also have the cable system that is 25 years old and when I compare it to all the other systems in the RV it has been trouble free. It never failed stuck open or closed. If it ever stopped working it came with a manual crank that takes about a min or less to crank open or closed.

sgfrye
Explorer
Explorer
first TT we owned was rack and pinion. no problems. current TT is cable. other than 2 of the 3 gear boxes leaking after a year no problems. i installed drip pans underneath the gear boxes myself. we chose the second TT based on floor plan not slide mechanisms.

librty02
Explorer
Explorer
I've had the cable slide for 7 years now without any issues or need for adjustment as of yet. The one cable is just starting to look like it has a little slack in it and I am going to have my dealer adjust it at inspection time this year. Also never a problem with my gearbox leaking on the roof of the slide.

There are pros and cons to all I wouldn't worry about any of them and just pick the floor plan you like most of all in the price range you want.
2011 FORD F-150 FX4 CREW CAB ECO...
2018 Ford F-150 Max Tow Crew 6.5 3.5 Eco...
2013 Keystone Passport 2650BH, EQUAL-I-ZER 1K/10K

toolttime
Explorer
Explorer
The Schwintek on slides need to be lubed regularly. When it starts to slow down time to lube. Lube from the outside pulling back the rubber . Motor is at the top
2015 Thor Tuscany 45AT

djsamuel
Nomad
Nomad
afidel wrote:
Schwintek was designed for smaller, less deep slides. Some manufacturers, especially early on, did not read and understand the design notes and used it in inappropriate applications. Today most problems and mis-applications have been resolved. Cable driven systems have some packaging advantages but at least some recent designs have had problems with oil leaking from the drive system, and unfortunately dripping onto the roof of the slide leading to damaged rubber slide roofs. Rack and pinion is generally the most robust system but can not always be accommodated in the desired packaging. Overall most systems in place today are fairly robust as it's not in anyone's interest to have major mechanical systems breaking.

Absolutely. I can't imagine a Schwintek on a large slide. The slide on my TT is fairly small and light. Works great, but I wouldn't trust it on a large slide. Also, people need to remember to hold the retract button in for a few seconds after the slide stops to ensure it stays in sync.

2013 Camplite 21BHS Trailer, Ram 1500 Tow Vehicle

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
I have 2 Schwintek slides. The large one always strains to open or close. I noticed Grand Design went to a rack system on the larger slides on new trailers.
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
Schwintek was designed for smaller, less deep slides. Some manufacturers, especially early on, did not read and understand the design notes and used it in inappropriate applications. Today most problems and mis-applications have been resolved. Cable driven systems have some packaging advantages but at least some recent designs have had problems with oil leaking from the drive system, and unfortunately dripping onto the roof of the slide leading to damaged rubber slide roofs. Rack and pinion is generally the most robust system but can not always be accommodated in the desired packaging. Overall most systems in place today are fairly robust as it's not in anyone's interest to have major mechanical systems breaking.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

trailer_newbe
Explorer
Explorer
Never choose this type of slide for a full 3โ€™ slide. Just fine for smaller slides but for the main full slide, always rack and pinion.
2018 Jayco White Hawk 28RL

camperforlife
Explorer
Explorer
This is a picture of my brother's trailer with a Schwintek slide. The slide was a mechanical disaster from day one and was replaced entirely twice before he gave up and traded the trailer. I would run from any trailer with a Schwintek slide.

djsamuel
Nomad
Nomad
I've had the Schwintek system in my camper for the last 6 years. So far , it's been fine.

2013 Camplite 21BHS Trailer, Ram 1500 Tow Vehicle

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I've had good luck with the rack and pinion system. It's easy to adjust and simple to repair.
Our current rig has the latest Schwintek system (top and botom rails) and seems to be doing great. I did a lot of reasearch before buying an RV with this system and from what I read, the latest incarnation works well. It's hi-tech and Lippert - two terms that dont go well together but it looks like they've finally got something right.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
I have only had rack and pinion system, but have read about other systems, and seems the gear driven bar type has the least issues/needing less adjustments. However you can get good/bad with most anything.

Jerry

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
My original gear and bar gearbox just died. Looks like it may cost close to $1000 to get it fixed. Just sayin'.
BTW I would not select a camper based solely or largely on the slide mechanism. Liveability would be my main criterion.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)