cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exterior plastic trim cracked

LoudRam
Explorer
Explorer
Today as I was conditioning my slide seals I noticed a plastic trim piece had cracked. It looks like a cover piece for where my roof is attached. It's hard plastic. The crack is about two inches long. Is this something I have to worry about? I don't see any water damage inside because of it and I think it doesn't lead inside anyway. Just wanted your thoughts. I have some JB Weld to fix it. Any other suggestions?

Here's some pics

Todd
Desert Storm Vet (US Navy)
2019 Ram 1500 Classic Quad Cab Express 4X4 5.7 Hemi 3.92
2021 Coachmen Spirit Ultra Lite 2557RB

If you can read this thank a teacher
If you can read this in english thank a vet
8 REPLIES 8

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
deltabravo wrote:
There's two style of that trim... hard plastic (which gets brittle and cracks) and a softer, pliable style. I can't remember who sells the softer style.

I got the soft one and it shrunk after just a year.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
There's two style of that trim... hard plastic (which gets brittle and cracks) and a softer, pliable style. I can't remember who sells the softer style.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
The video above is mine...glad someone found it and shared it here.

That was my Arctic Fox truck camper, which is 10 years old next month. This is the third section of that trim I replaced.

First failure was the nose (cabover). Made sense that it failed first because it see more direct sunlight.

Then the back wall trim failed.
Then the roof line (video above).

Curious what the build date is on your RV. I've seen "next model year" rigs being built in June of the previous year... so it's possible your unit had been on a dealers lot 1.5 years or more.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

LoudRam
Explorer
Explorer
Yosemite Sam1 wrote:
And the lessons that keeps on being hammered from veteran RV owners, maintenance, maintenance, maintenance.

This isn't from lack of maintenance if that's what you're implying. There is nothing to maintain. I found it doing maintenance. The trailer is a 2018. We got it earlier this year as a left over. I'm really disappointed that it cracked this quick. It may even be covered under warranty.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions on replacement options.
Todd

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:
It is quite common for that plastic trim to become brittle and crack and eventually crumble after a few years. It absolutely has no functional value, like, sealing for water intrusion. It's only aesthetic to cover the screws inside that track.

Ditto.

Here's a video I stumbled across earlier this year on replacing it:

Installing new trim insert in the drip rail / roof trim

Might as well upgrade to stainless steel screws at the same time:

Screw upgrade video
Bob

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
And the lessons that keeps on being hammered from veteran RV owners, maintenance, maintenance, maintenance.

Being a recent RV owner, I nearly weep for the kind of flimsy materials, shoddy workmanship and that I have to go back to the dealer more than a few for things that were not working on this supposedly brand new unit.

Yeah, your RV is not a Toyota.

LoudRam
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, that's what I needed to know.
Todd

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
It is quite common for that plastic trim to become brittle and crack and eventually crumble after a few years. It absolutely has no functional value, like, sealing for water intrusion. It's only aesthetic to cover the screws inside that track.

Here is what you need to replace it: Click here.

You can purchase this stuff from any RV dealership part store or on-line anywhere.

It comes in 100 foot rolls, is very easy to install. Just pinch one end and slide it in the track, keep it pinched and just slide your fingers down the track. It will slip right in.

The only spot you may have to work with is the ends. It really needs to be tucked under your metal trim pieces.

Trying to fix the broken stuff is futile. It will continue to crumble. While you are replacing it, do both side of the trailer, and if yours had the same stuff vertical, on the ends of your camper, replace it also. 100 feet will be more than enough to do your entire trailer.

No, you cannot save what's beginning to split and crumble. It will only get worse. It's probably better at this point to go ahead and pull the existing completely off, use a piece of it to take to your RV parts store so you'll get the correct width (they do come in a couple width sizes) and replace it all at the same time.

If you don't, it's just a matter of time till wind while driving will catch it and pull it out of its track. Then it will be flopping against the side of your camper, maybe even break and beat the side of your camper. You don't want that to happen. Better to get rid of it before that happens and have nothing for a short while than try to save something that is now dead and save it.

It's easy to replace, and depending where you purchase it, not expensive at all. Your camper will thank-you for the face lift even for those pieces that have not started to split and crack up.