cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

exhaust manifold leak

huskyfan68
Explorer
Explorer
argh! 2001 F250 V10- runs great but the dreaded manifold leak from the bolts rotting out- it's a $2000.00 repair which I cannot justify. I tried JB weld and furnace cement (which works temporarily) but then i would guess with the temperature changes just breaks off (or due to pressure)- Anyone have any other ideas on a temporary fix?
12 REPLIES 12

moresmoke
Explorer
Explorer
spud1957 wrote:
BenK wrote:
Does this require lifting the body off tge frame ?

No. They go in thru the wheel well.

Easy on a 02. My 08 had the $&@# spring tower in the way. But still for $2000 they better be pulling the heads and sending them out to a machine shop.

Op needs to keep asking around and find someone that knows how to remove broken studs. Regardless, manifolds will need to be ground down til flat again.

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
I would check with some other shops for a better price. For 2k I can get a
Ford engine changed in a truck.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
naturist wrote:
While I agree that $2,000 is a whale of a price for the job, I do have to ask how much is your life (and that of your passengers) worth.

Here's the thing. A manifold exhaust leak can fill the cabin with carbon monoxide, which can kill you. This is one of those things that screams for a fix.

You’d have to try pretty hard to die from CO poisoning from a manifold leak but I suppose anything is possible.....
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

spud1957
Explorer
Explorer
BenK wrote:

No. They go in thru the wheel well.
2018 F350 6.7 4x4 CCSB
2022 GD Reflection 337 RLS

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
I don't really have anything to add other than make sure the shop you have do the service has experience performing this job. The good shops will have experienced the various breaking of the studs and how to get them out efficiently not causing you unnecessary labor fees.

Redcatcher70
Explorer
Explorer
huskyfan, may I inquire how many miles you have on your unit? I own a 2004, just turned over 90,000 miles.
Dave & Pat
2008 Hi-Lo 19T
2004 F250, XLT Crew Cab, V10, finally, enough power!
"No kids, no pets, made it to retirement"

spud1957
Explorer
Explorer
Hopefully the $2000 quote is for both sides.

I had one side of my 6.2 done for $1000 at a dealer.

If it is for only one side, you need to go somewhere else.
2018 F350 6.7 4x4 CCSB
2022 GD Reflection 337 RLS

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
While I agree that $2,000 is a whale of a price for the job, I do have to ask how much is your life (and that of your passengers) worth.

Here's the thing. A manifold exhaust leak can fill the cabin with carbon monoxide, which can kill you. This is one of those things that screams for a fix.

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
x2 - That's about twice as much as it should cost for the job.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
$2000 ?!!! I think you need to find a new shop. At most it’s $1200. I’m a tech and did mine in the garage. Did one side one year and the other side the next year. It was my towing vehicle so I was able to work On it here and there over the course of a week. I figure I had about 4-5 hours in each side.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Putting that kind of stuff on there might just make it harder when someone eventually fixes it (more &&&). On top of that, using the worng product can foul the oxygen sensor. Keep in mind that the manifold moves considerably as it heats up and cools down.
There is no temporary fix. The job needs to be done right and it needs to be done sooner than later because it will mess with the 02 sensors performance and cause eng and cat converter damage that will be a lot more than $2k.

$2k seems a bit high though. I would check around with some independant shops for a better deal. Maybe even consider headers.

Good luck!
Scott