Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Bronco (to be) Re-Introduced (and with Hybrid version)
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Bronco (to be) Re-Introduced (and with Hybrid version)

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/07/19 11:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ford to Re-introduce Bronco

I was an admirer.

But not much use to us if it still have that short wheelbase.

2.3L engine at 270 hp is a good displacement-to-power ratio.

There is the hint too on how F150 EV will solve the range issue to compete with Tesla -- on-board generator.

* This post was last edited 10/07/19 11:50am by Yosemite Sam1 *   View edit history

2manytoyz

Central FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/07/19 12:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This has been teased a couple of years ago. I like the look, but the 4 banger or hybrid model does nothing for me.

If they offer it with a 5.0L, I'd likely buy it.

If Jeep puts a hemi in their Gladiator, I might be interested in it too.

I don't like little screaming engines. I've owned them before, and driven newer ones. Not for me. I'm sure they'll sell plenty to the mall crawler crowds. In the meantime, I'll just keep my 2010 F150 with a V8.

Robert
Merritt Island, FL
2015 Forest River Georgetown 328TS
2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited TOAD
Falcon 2 Towbar, Roadmaster 9400 Even Brake System
http://www.2manytoyz.com/

ShinerBock

SATX

View Profile

Posted: 10/07/19 12:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2manytoyz wrote:

I don't like little screaming engines. I've owned them before, and driven newer ones.

Screaming? Towing a load, my old company work truck V8 5.0L with a 3.55 rear ratio would be the one screaming versus the V6 3.5L EB with a 3.15 that later replaced it towing the same trailer. I could pull hills in 5th with the V6 EB that would cause the V8 5.0L to drop to 3rd screaming the whole way up.

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/07/19 12:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's not the size, or displacement of the engine, but it's power.

In this case, this 2.3L engine has as much horsepower as V8 truck a decade ago.

Lwiddis

Near Annett’s Mono Village, Bridgeport, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/07/19 12:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"There is the hint too on how F150 EV will solve the range issue to compete with Tesla -- on-board generator."

Chevrolet tried that with the Volt. It didn't sell very well. The engine weight will either "eat" the amount of batteries carried or payload. Probably both.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

wanderingaimlessly

SOBOVA

View Profile

Posted: 10/07/19 12:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yosemite Sam1 wrote:

Let us know next year how yours is holding up.
Usually small engines stressed by heavy loads don't pan out too well, especially in the long term, it's why both Ford and GM just came out with new larger V-8 truck engines. (6.6 and 7.3 liter)
You can bolt on turbos and superchargers, but there is still little replacement for displacement.
And how is a generator powered by another carbon burning ICE a fix for the electric woes?

ShinerBock

SATX

View Profile

Posted: 10/07/19 01:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't think this thing is going to be carrying heavy HD size loads so a turbocharged 2.3L will do fine in that small of vehicle. In fact it would probably make it better off road due to the better low end power of many small displacement V8's. There is truth to displacement and turbocharged engines actually displace more air than many larger V8s at low rpms creating a lot more power.

In regards to holding up. My old F150 Ecoboost that I mention above lasted to 150k before my company traded it in. We got rid of the 5.0L trucks sooner because they used more fuel and were dogs when towing. It might have been different with 3.73 gears because that 5.0L would downshift and scream at high rpms with the 3.55's they had in them. The 3.5L EB trucks were able to do the same work at much lower rpms and a lot less stress even with 3.15 gears. Also, my company now trades them in at 200k(instead of 150K) because the Ecoboost are holding up so well.

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/07/19 01:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wanderingaimlessly wrote:

Yosemite Sam1 wrote:

Let us know next year how yours is holding up.
Usually small engines stressed by heavy loads don't pan out too well, especially in the long term, it's why both Ford and GM just came out with new larger V-8 truck engines. (6.6 and 7.3 liter)
You can bolt on turbos and superchargers, but there is still little replacement for displacement.
And how is a generator powered by another carbon burning ICE a fix for the electric woes?

I wouldn't know. I usually replace mine every 3 to 5 years -- to take advantage of it's peak of economic life.

But I wonder, I thought it's the cylinders that wears out, not the entire engine -- even dismissing the advancement in metallurgy.

As to the generator, I bet the Briggs & Stratton generator will consume less gas and less a pollutant the a 5.7 Briggs & Stratton diesel or gas engine. Did I miss something on your post?

wanderingaimlessly

SOBOVA

View Profile

Posted: 10/07/19 01:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The generator, if powered by a separate engine will have several other factors.
As a small engine, it will not be required to meet the same "clean air standards" a vehicles primary ICE unit would meet.
It adds another factor of the same weight it was supposed to initially be eliminating, along with the fuels etc.
If the initial goal was to be going "all green" and eliminating carbon based fuels (not counting what charges the batteries at home) then the carriage of a separate engine/generator seems to defeat the original purpose.
No matter if it is a 5 hp or a 200 hp engine, the vehicle will still require a similar amount of energy to move it. The little generator just takes a short period of movement, and spends more hours at lower per hour energy cost creating the energy, it still requires the same total amount. It is not a perpetual motion machine, it does not get something from nothing.
As to what wears out, Heat and friction are the factors. Higher pressures and higher RPM's are primary (not the only ) contributors.
And as to HP vs size consider
"The current, third-generation IndyCar formula was introduced in 2012. The engines are now fuel-efficient DOHC 2.2-liter twin-turbo V6 with four-stroke piston Otto cycle developing an estimated 550–750 hp depending on the level of boost used and no inter-cooling systems."
More HP than the 6.8 driving most class A motorhomes, Would you want to try using one long term in that usage? How long do you think it would last?
Hybrids and EV's have a place, where their short range does not overly limit them, but when you add systems to an already heavy vehicle because of the batteries to get past the range limits, there are just too many factors working against them.

* This post was edited 10/07/19 02:14pm by wanderingaimlessly *

Lwiddis

Near Annett’s Mono Village, Bridgeport, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/07/19 01:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"In this case, this 2.3L engine has as much horsepower as V8 truck a decade ago."

Then it can run a larger generator....which weighs more. The enemy is weight and to a lesser extent space for batteries, an engine, its fuel and the generator.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Bronco (to be) Re-Introduced (and with Hybrid version)
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.