Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Bronco (to be) Re-Introduced (and with Hybrid version)
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Bronco (to be) Re-Introduced (and with Hybrid version)

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 10/07/19 02:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Had a 1972 with a modified 302 cu inch and 4:10 Detroit Locker rear/4:10 Dana 44 Limited Slip front
Hi/Lo transfer case with 3 speed on floor
Had all three tops....full cab, half cab and soft top
Dang thing could climb a tree at idle

Had a 1978 with 400 cu inch---4 speed manual
12,000# dual clutch winch on a hand built custon front bumper/grille
Nice riding, comfortable ---OK moderate off road use
BUT it couldn't get out of it's own way with that detuned motor

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
On the Road Debt Free April '07
Off the road still Debt Free Jan. '14

wanderingaimlessly

SOBOVA

View Profile

Posted: 10/07/19 02:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

duplicate

* This post was edited 10/07/19 02:16pm by wanderingaimlessly *

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/07/19 02:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wanderingaimlessly wrote:

The generator, if powered by a separate engine will have several other factors.
As a small engine, it will not be required to meet the same "clean air standards" a vehicles primary ICE unit would meet.
It adds another factor of the same weight it was supposed to initially be eliminating, along with the fuels etc.
If the initial goal was to be going "all green" and eliminating carbon based fuels (not counting what charges the batteries at home) then the carriage of a separate engine/generator seems to defeat the original purpose.
No matter if it is a 5 hp or a 200 hp engine, the vehicle will still require a similar amount of energy to move it. The little generator just takes a short period of movement, and spends more hours at lower per hour energy cost creating the energy, it still requires the same total amount. It is not a perpetual motion machine, it does not get something from nothing.
As to what wears out, Heat and friction are the factors. Higher pressures and higher RPM's are primary (not the only ) contributors.
And as to HP vs size consider
"The current, third-generation IndyCar formula was introduced in 2012. The engines are now fuel-efficient DOHC 2.2-liter twin-turbo V6 with four-stroke piston Otto cycle developing an estimated 550–750 hp depending on the level of boost used and no inter-cooling systems."
More HP than the 6.8 driving most class A motorhomes, Would you want to try using one long term in that usage? How long do you think it would last?
Hybrids and EV's have a place, where their short range does not overly limit them, but when you add systems to an already heavy vehicle because of the batteries to get past the range limits, there are just too many factors working against them.

I might be oversimplifying this but isn't this just a permutation of Prius hybrid except the generator can simultaneously be running as the motor draws its major energy needs from the battery?

wanderingaimlessly

SOBOVA

View Profile

Posted: 10/07/19 02:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In a way, but just as a mitsubishi mirage can get as good a fuel economy on a totally gas powerplant as the Prius, and do so at a reduced purchase/operation/disposal cost as compared, why have the prius? Especially when the environmental issues concerning the batteries are considered?

The Hybrid/EV always has the added issues of heavy metals and their procurement, and disposal and the additional weight during their life cycle. It just takes more energy day in and day out to move that extra 200 lbs of batteries. Or the 1200lbs in a tesla.

midnightsadie

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 10/07/19 04:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

had a 1971 ,was the best truck for my use,owned a sohio station.took it every where ,only thing that ever broke was the cheap steel they used ,it rusted away in just a couple years. all that wax on/off didn,t help a bit.

FishOnOne

The Great State of Texas

View Profile

Posted: 10/07/19 05:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ShinerBock wrote:

2manytoyz wrote:

I don't like little screaming engines. I've owned them before, and driven newer ones.

Screaming? Towing a load, my old company work truck V8 5.0L with a 3.55 rear ratio would be the one screaming versus the V6 3.5L EB with a 3.15 that later replaced it towing the same trailer. I could pull hills in 5th with the V6 EB that would cause the V8 5.0L to drop to 3rd screaming the whole way up.

Really depends on what type of driving you do. I can see an advantage for the V8 with low rpm linear power for slow driving off road.

For highway towing the 3.5 EB can't be beat.

The wife is starting to look at the 4 door Jeep Wranglers again, but I would like to hold off to see what the new Bronco has to offer including ride quality.

'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs
"Built Ford Proud"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Bronco (to be) Re-Introduced (and with Hybrid version)
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.