Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: RV Pet Stop: The "Goodbye Room"
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop  >  General Topics

> The "Goodbye Room"

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 10/09/19 07:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One of our Yorkies, most of his life, would not go out the front door at home. Out the back door, inside the fence, was his yard. But if I moved the camper out front to work on it, he would not let us go out the front without him.
When the time came, we where camping in a local state park. The vet came to the park, and Luke's camper was his good-by room.

Deb and Ed M

SW MI & Space Coast, FL USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/10/19 06:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JRscooby wrote:

When the time came, we where camping in a local state park. The vet came to the park, and Luke's camper was his good-by room.

Wow! Talk about being in your happy place when you pass.... that's so sweet :-)

Eons ago, at age 19, I had to make that awful decision about my dog I'd had almost all my life. My then-Vet said if I wanted to bury her, to come back the next day and pick her up. Of course I wanted to bury her in her favorite place, my grandparent's cottage, so I borrowed Mom's station wagon, picked up the 60-lb dog (wrapped in a black plastic "body bag"), grabbed some tools I figured I'd need to bury a pet in the woods, and headed north.

About an hour into the drive, I managed to be speeding as I entered a small village...and was quickly pulled over. I gave the officer my ID, insurance, etc... then he noticed what surely looked like a potential crime scene in the back with the body bag/pickax/shovel....and asked "Whatcha got back there?"

Yeah - I just *lost it*.... between sobs I managed to get out "bury dog" and "cottage" out. He took heart to whatever I was saying, asked me to drive safely - and sent me on my way. I think he was torn between wanting to comfort; and laughing his butt off....LOL!!

ReneeG

Meridian, Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/10/19 07:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JRscooby wrote:

One of our Yorkies, most of his life, would not go out the front door at home. Out the back door, inside the fence, was his yard. But if I moved the camper out front to work on it, he would not let us go out the front without him.

Oh my goodness! How peaceful it must've been for your little Yorkie.

2011 Bighorn 3055RL
2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley BD3
1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica and Mabel, both Rat Terriers!

JJnLilly

Ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/13/19 02:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Know your pain, Ed and Deb as two weeks ago we had to put our 16 year old mixed whatever-best dog ever to sleep. She's the 'Lilly" in JJn and will be sorely missed but her pain was just too much for us to stand. She did get a chance to do some training with our new puppy, a now 7 month old Mini-Aussi-Doodle.

Lilly had left her DNA in more rest areas and campgrounds than we can count. She had her final campfire two weeks before she met the Vet. She always enjoyed being around the campfire with friends.

We are going to leave our ID as it is as a memorial to her.

2007 Ram 2500 QC CTD
2014 Open Range 337RLS

Deb and Ed M

View Profile

Posted: 10/14/19 07:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JJnLilly wrote:

Know your pain, Ed and Deb as two weeks ago we had to put our 16 year old mixed whatever-best dog ever to sleep. She's the 'Lilly" in JJn and will be sorely missed but her pain was just too much for us to stand. She did get a chance to do some training with our new puppy, a now 7 month old Mini-Aussi-Doodle.

Oh, I am so sorry :-( But 16 is a wonderful lifespan for a dog - it's what I had hoped for Jimmy, but diabetes had other plans....
Aussiedoodles are great! All of the intelligence of booth breeds, with about half the drive of an Aussie (which I am being painfully reminded of as I try to supervise a purebred and VERY busy 10-week old Aussie pup)

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/14/19 10:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Deb and Ed M I don't know how you do it. I don't think I could handle a 10 week puppy on my own.

JJnLilly 7 month old pup isn't to bad I'm sure Lilly took some of the burden of rasing the new pup.

I'm greatful as well my 9 month old Collie Sawyer is helping immensely raise my little 14 week old bundle of energy Collie Sasha.

This thread has kinda evolved into the cycle of life.

sprint99

Merton, WI

View Profile

Posted: 10/17/19 01:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sorry for your loss. It is never easy.

Last fall our Greyhound (14 years old) had to be put down. Our vet as well has the Good Bye Room. When I brought our Greyhound in, there was a very young Vet Tech and Veterinarian, also on the quite young side. Both were very professional and compassionate. So much so that they both were crying along with me and I was even asked (by veterinarian) for a hug. While I was very sad to be putting our last Greyhound down, I was happy for the care and compassion I was given. I was allowed all the alone time I needed before leaving. And the Good Bye Room also has a private exit from the facility.

Deb and Ed M

View Profile

Posted: 10/17/19 01:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

colliehauler wrote:

Deb and Ed M I don't know how you do it. I don't think I could handle a 10 week puppy on my own.

It's a funny thing - the pup is making me take my own medicine that I dish out so often: "A tired dog is a good dog". So I'm walking a LOT more, and so is Ben, who also needs to get into shape to keep up with a pup. Augie is doing us all a favor :-)

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop  >  General Topics

> The "Goodbye Room"
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS