cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tow vehicle service insurance????

vcb49
Explorer
Explorer
OK I am new to this and so unknowing it will probably make you cringe!
I am thinking of buying a 2006 Honda Element, standard stick, for my tow car. The dealer wants to sell me a service insurance contract for it, but as far as I know flat towing a car will void out any kind of policy.
Any work on the car I will have to pay for since I do not have a clue. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks ahead of time.
16 REPLIES 16

BlumKram
Explorer
Explorer
I'm wondering whether the towing was successful? Can you give a piece of advice on how to do it right?
always use a helmet while riding a bike, safety comes first.

lane_hog
Explorer II
Explorer II
drsteve wrote:

Yes. But they limit speed to 65 mph to prevent transmission damage.

Given the mileage my C gets, that would be an acceptable trade-off. We rarely exceed 62 while towing.
  • 2019 Grand Design 29TBS (had a Winnebago and 3x Jayco owner)
  • 2016 F-150 3.5L MaxTow (had Ram 2500 CTD, Dodge Durango)
  • 130W solar and 2005 Honda EU2000i twins that just won't quit

whemme
Explorer
Explorer
vcb49 wrote:
Lwiddis wrote:
What are you planning to tow with the Honda? Or are you planning to tow the Honda?

I am looking for a simple, reliable tow car for my Newmar Baystar to tow.

vcb49, please use the correct terminology so not to confuse everyone. When you use the term tow car that means a vehicle that you intend to use to tow another vehicle and not a vehicle that you intend to tow behind another vehicle.
2002 Born Free 26' RSB Motorcoach
2005 Chevrolet Malibu LS Toad

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
No need to wonder; can I flat tow it or not, the owner's manual I think is the authority. The 2 cars (Chevy sonic and Ford Focus, both auto trans) I have towed had a "towing behind a motor home" section right after the part about towing it in for a repair. There were specific instructions about it, such as running the Sonic motor every few hours, etc. Don't listen to salesman or other RVers. Just because someone is towing a vehicle and it seems OK, they still may be damaging the trans. Don't assume all sticks are towable. Specifically a Focus ST is not.
Jayco-noslide

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
parker.rowe wrote:
drsteve wrote:
Lwiddis wrote:
Does Honda approve of four down towing the 2006 Honda Element?

Interesting. Do the manual transmissions in those have pumps that don't run in neutral?

I know some manual's do have pumps but I don't know much about Honda's. I would think you can just throw it in neutral and be good to go. OP said it is a standard/stick trans in the first post.

No idea about the pump. Here is what Honda has to say about towing.

Clicky
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

parker_rowe
Explorer
Explorer
drsteve wrote:
Lwiddis wrote:

Interesting. Do the manual transmissions in those have pumps that don't run in neutral?

I know some manual's do have pumps but I don't know much about Honda's. I would think you can just throw it in neutral and be good to go. OP said it is a standard/stick trans in the first post.
2015 Starcraft TravelStar 239TBS 6500 GVWR
1997 GMC Suburban K2500 7.4 Vortec/4.10
1977 Kawasaki KZ1000

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldn't think towing would void the warranty if the manual has a "towing behind a motor home" section which allows towing such as my Ford Focus with auto trans. If the manual does not specifically mention towing, then I wouldn't. I won't buy any seperate warranty or contract on any product. Cost more in the long run.
Jayco-noslide

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:

2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

Redcatcher70
Explorer
Explorer
vcb49, I am sorry for being so snarky earlier. I am not an expert on vehicle warranties, never bought one in all my years of vehicle purchasing. Best advice I can give is BEFORE buying a used vehicle take it to a mechanic you trust, put it on the rack, check all lines and mechanical components underneath, check belts and hoses, signs of any fluid leaks, then any signs of repaired damage.
I have always carried a credit card for any towing or repairs that we may need in our travels. I am of the opinion of some others here, that buying a service contract on a 14 year old vehicle, (or any vehicle for that matter), is a waste of money. Put the money in the bank and you may never touch it......
Dave & Pat
2008 Hi-Lo 19T
2004 F250, XLT Crew Cab, V10, finally, enough power!
"No kids, no pets, made it to retirement"

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Good thing you're asking.
Regardless of the type of car or what you're doing with it, any warranty you'll get on a 14 year old vehicle will pretty much not be worth the paper it's written on....with a couple exceptions.
1. You're freezing to death and the warranty paperwork is the only tinder you have to start a fire with and save your own life, or someone else's, or
2. You're driving down a desolate road after eating too much 3 alarm chili, have an urgent personal emergency....and same deal, only paper you got and you have to decide between using your shirt sleeve or warranty papework because your shirt doesn't have a pocket to rip off and use and you're wearing flip flops so no socks!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

vcb49
Explorer
Explorer
Redcatcher70 wrote:
That has got to be one silver tongued salesman!!! ??????

Yeha, but I am talking with all of you guys first.

vcb49
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:
What are you planning to tow with the Honda? Or are you planning to tow the Honda?

I am looking for a simple, reliable tow car for my Newmar Baystar to tow.

Redcatcher70
Explorer
Explorer
That has got to be one silver tongued salesman!!! ??????
Dave & Pat
2008 Hi-Lo 19T
2004 F250, XLT Crew Cab, V10, finally, enough power!
"No kids, no pets, made it to retirement"

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
I think you just answered your own question. If you get the insurance and tow the vehicle, the service plan is void. What good is getting the service plan then. No brainer there. Skip it and save your money for your own repairs. Chances are, there will be many loop holes in the "plan" anyway that will exclude pretty much anything you may need fixed someday. A vehicle that old... you are taking your chances regardless. Don't let the dealer sell you something you won't, can't, or will never use.