cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Traveling in Oregon

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
This seems like the best place to post my question. With the new law of marijuana being legal on Oregon. Have you had any issues with encountering users while camping in Oregon? We're planning a trip and we don't think it will be an issue, but a co-worker went to Colorado Springs shortly after it was legalized and he said a section of town was awful to walk through.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton
35 REPLIES 35

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Is this a serious question?

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
Well, we got back from our trip to OR. No pot smokers, but a lot of fields.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

4runnerguy
Explorer
Explorer
ReneeG wrote:
The town in CO where my co-worker went and smelled it strongly downtown was Colorado Springs.
Kind of amazing since Colorado Springs is about the most conservative town in the state.
Ken & Allison
2 Camping Cats (1 diabetic)
1996 4Runner, TRD Supercharger, Edelbrock headers
2007 Fleetwood Arcadia, Honda EU2000i
4 mountain bikes, 1 canoe, 4 tents, 8 sleeping bags, 2 backpacks
(You get the idea!)

winniman
Explorer
Explorer
We did a west coast tour three years ago. We didn't notice any smokers. It has been legal here in Canada for two years, and I have yet to see one person smoking in public. As stated, it is illegal to smoke in public. It is illegal to drink in public here as well. I don't believe that making it legal changed anyones mind about it. I think the same people who smoke it now, smoked it before it was legal. That is why the govt changed the law. Making criminals out of a bunch of 60 year old hippies wasn't making the world a better place. Alcohol is far worse than pot. No one is robbing houses to buy pot. Don't confuse pot with hard drugs. The biggest dope dealer in your community is your pharmacist. You can blame them, and the doctors for the tidal wave of addictions you see causing all the crime now. The 4:20 crowd just wants to mellow out and chill man.

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
Naio wrote:
I second the idea that use in campgrounds hasn't changed since legalization.

Although when visiting a college town, I noticed that I smelled pot smoke on the street about as often as I smelled cigarette smoke or saw someone drinking beer. It may be technically illegal to smoke in public, but I don't think anyone cares.

Thank you! The town in CO where my co-worker went and smelled it strongly downtown was Colorado Springs. A college town. Another good point on legal or illegal - some don't care.

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
goducks10 wrote:
Daves not here.

lololololol
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
I second the idea that use in campgrounds hasn't changed since legalization.

Although when visiting a college town, I noticed that I smelled pot smoke on the street about as often as I smelled cigarette smoke or saw someone drinking beer. It may be technically illegal to smoke in public, but I don't think anyone cares.
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

Nutinelse2do
Explorer
Explorer
Just saw this notice at a 55 plus park. 3rd one weโ€™ve seen this Summer
Seems to be a common theme in Senior Communities

Living Our Dream
MTHRSHP - 2006 KSDP 3912
Cummins 350ISL...Spartan Chassis
ESC POD - 2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Zippy Scoot- 2018 Honda PCX 150 on an Overbilt Lift
Shredder at the Rainbow Bridge - You Will Always Be With Us

4runnerguy
Explorer
Explorer
In our travels, we've found usage in CG's about the same in states where it's legal as in states where it's not. When it was legalized, the place we noticed the usage increase here in Colorado was skiing. Seems a lot of out-of-state people want to experience the Rocky Mountain High!

I'm not sure what the OP's concerns were but we've found alcohol to be at the root of unruly campers far more than those getting high.

What's interesting is that I've discovered a significant number of Coloradoans in their 50's, 60's, and 70's partake, mostly at home. Haven't heard if they get an AARP discount! ๐Ÿ˜‰
Ken & Allison
2 Camping Cats (1 diabetic)
1996 4Runner, TRD Supercharger, Edelbrock headers
2007 Fleetwood Arcadia, Honda EU2000i
4 mountain bikes, 1 canoe, 4 tents, 8 sleeping bags, 2 backpacks
(You get the idea!)

dedmiston
We just finished a trip through a lot of states where weed is legal (plus Canada), and many of the parks had signs at the front desk that said more or less the same thing:

We know marijuana is legal here, but please don't smoke it outside.

This isn't too different from the "dry" camps that don't allow alcohol.

As far as camps go in Oregon, it's not Sodom and Gomorrah. You should be fine.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
dennis1 wrote:
Watch out in USFS campgrounds..
Use your head and do it inside. The gov't is still 50 years behind the times.

I asked in order to be aware and avoid it, not to do it!

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
CFerguson wrote:
Upon further thought, I think that the case may be that potheads aren't necessarily a problem, but if you are in a bad area anyway, those kind of people are probably smoking pot and doing other drugs as well. Maybe this is the kind of bad area that the OP was referring to...?

Thank you. Not necessarily bad area, because we would not stay in a place that is obviously bad, but bad people. Just because it's not legal to do does not mean that they won't do it. I think we'll be fine.

Tin-bender
Explorer
Explorer
Well the biggest problem for us that live here is not the smokers but the smell of the crops in the ground this time of year. Between the Weed and the Hemp farms you can hardly draw a breath that isn't slightly skunky.
Tinbender

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
profdant139 wrote:
It's now legal in Calif, too, and we have not had any problems. .

In Calif. there has a significant increase in the number of people being robbed/shot at in their homes due to people going around town looking for marijuana to buy or steal. There have been cases there people looking for drugs have gone to the wrong address of a home.