Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Help Switching to 40' Pusher
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Help Switching to 40' Pusher

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
blownstang01

Upstate NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/08/19 07:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm going to be buying a Diesel Pusher within the next year and looking for advice on what to expect moving up from a Class C.
A little background, we have had TT's of various sizes and moved up to a 31' Class C - 4 years ago. While I have never driven a bus-sized vehicle, I'm not concerned much at all, I've towed everything from a small TT to my 42' 5th wheel race hauler. So, I'm not too concerned about learning to drive the bus. I'm looking at 40' pushers, 2008-2012 vintage, most with 330HP ISC's, 950 lbs ft, some with 400 HP ISL's, 1,200 lbs ft. Single rear axle, no tag's...mostly due to price and extra length, I have heard they drive better though.
Mostly what I'm looking for is what to expect being different than camping with a C. My wife and I are looking at retirement in 12 years or so and want to get our feet wet travelling for several weeks at a time. We don't expect to fulltime, but once retired 3-4 months during the winter we would chase the nice weather.So, besides the obvious height difference to watch out for, what else is majorly different I should be looking out for?
Thanks in Advance.

* This post was edited 10/08/19 07:44am by blownstang01 *

Flute Man

Payson, Arizona

View Profile

Posted: 10/08/19 08:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My single axle drives really nice. Been full-time for 13 years.

Jerry Parr
05 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350
04 Honda CR-V
Ham Radio K7OU
[email protected]
602-321-8141
Full-timer

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 10/08/19 08:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

More expensive and if you keep it for 12 years even more expensive. More restricted CG sites than the C. More room inside and more storage w/o the drive shaft from the front, perhaps a FT consideration.

For limited camping for 12 years before FT we waited for a DP, and "FT" 3-5 months.

2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Jayco-noslide

Galesburg,Il., USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/08/19 09:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I won't try to talk you out of such a huge MH but I think you'll find a lot of disadvantages unless you only go to campgrounds that you know or research to see if there's even a spot for 1 that big. 10 ft. can make a lot of difference in parking and navigating gas station, parking lots, campground roads, trees, etc. Of course, when you're parked you'll have all that house like room. Not for me. We're thinking of downsizing from a 30 ft. C to a Class B and not towing.

Jayco-noslide

Tom/Barb

Oak Harbor, Wa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/08/19 12:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

40 seems to be perfect, for our use.

43' seems to be too big for most camp grounds.

2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

Tom/Barb

Oak Harbor, Wa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/08/19 12:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Perfect

ferndaleflyer

everywhere

View Profile

Posted: 10/08/19 01:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You will be ok. You towed that car hauler fifth wheel you can drive anything. I have had up to a 45ft DP with 450hp and towed from 28 to 32 ft tag from coast to coast and it was easier for me than the fifth wheel I had for awhile. No one here but me since wife and dog both died so I now have a 36ft DP and have downsized my trailer to a 20ft Featherlite. Oh, I am 78 years old!

blownstang01

Upstate NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/08/19 02:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tom/Barb wrote:

Perfect

LOL, except it's over 3,000 miles away !

Ivylog

Blairsville, GA and WPB, FL.

View Profile

Posted: 10/08/19 02:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I won’t try and talk you out of such a small MH but I think you’ll find a lot of advantages in something bigger. Biggest item is more CCC with a tag and rock solid handling. I do not have problems navigating gas stations (love GasBuddy), parking lots,CG roads but the trees can be limiting.

We just completed 50 nights in the West without reservations...40 nights mainly in USFS CG, 4 night dispersed camping and 5 nights in private CGs with FHUs. Only in Moab did we have a problem finding a site...95 degrees and CGs full. 2.5 hours later we were at 9800’ in a USFS CG in CO. Next morning there was frost on the car.

This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.

08 HR Navigator 45'
Sold 04 Dynasty after 14 great years.
[url=https://i.

blownstang01

Upstate NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/08/19 02:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for all the replies. For clarification, we still have 2 of our kids that go with us, even if for only a few more years, our youngest is 15. Plus we look forward to taking and spoiling grand kids once we have them. Plus 3 weeks or so on the road with my beautiful wife .....let's just say a smaller than our current 31' isn't going to cut it. Also, our plan (LOL, I know how these change) is to have this one until closer to retirement and then buy a newer one.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Help Switching to 40' Pusher
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS